Sponsored

Who is running 37" tires with a 2.3L and Manual Transmission?

CustomPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thinking about running some 37s on a 2-door Sas with the 2.3L and manual transmission. Looking for feedback on how noticeable the power loss is from those that have run that set up. The truck on 35" Toyo MT is accpetable in terms of get up and go (passing power is decent, and getting on the freeway is pretty easy). I'd like to run some 37s, but just curious if those that are running them feel there is too much loss of power in terms of getting on the freeway, passing on the freeway, etc.

I'd consider running a BFG MT since it is a touch shorter, and weighs 13lbs less than the 37x13.50r17 Toyo, but I have one brand new Toyo sitting on the shelf that I could finally use if I went with Toyos on this build. My mind tells me run the BFG to retain some power, but the child in me is saying put that fat Toyo on there for looks.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm running Nitto 37 x 11.50s and definitely noticed the difference jumping from 35s but it's not a dog by any means. I keep it in the power band revs and she does just fine.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
BL 2.3 manual moar door with 37x12.5 Cooper SST Pros here. I think 4.7 gearing and 2.3 EB is a good combo and not a dog by any means. I also have a RaceChip tune but have been running it in Eco in lieu of Sport while my daily driver F150 is "in the shop." Yes, 6th gear is for flat/downhill highway cruising and that's fine. MPG is just under 14 with mostly around town driving, however, if you bought a Bronco and are considering 37's then I am guessing MPG's isn't high on the priority list. Gratuitous pic:

Ford Bronco Who is running 37" tires with a 2.3L and Manual Transmission? 1707240273123

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
CustomPerformance

CustomPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks everyone. That's great feedback. Makes me feel a little better about going to 37s. Guess I'll just go ahead and go big if I am going to do it. Having one tire on hand already makes it an easier decision as well.

I'm not very concerned about gas mileage since this is just a fun truck to drive around. Nothing I drive could be considered fuel efficient anyway. However, it has been nice getting 16-17mpg around town. Feels like I rarely have to put gas in it even with the small fuel tank these things have.

Sponsored

tdhyden79

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Bad-Squatch 2.3l 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm running 37x12.5 Mickey Thompsons. I also have a Burger JB4 tuner. Power is fine as long as you stay in the boost, keep rpms over 2k. 6th gear is worthless under 80mph. Overall acceleration is great from 1st gear to 4th gear, 5th gear acts like overdrive. I get about 13.5mpg mixed. I'm planning on doing 5.39 gears to give it a little help. I bought mine with the 37 already on it so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'll say this, it aint as doggy as my XJ on 33's! The 2.3 can handle it fine, it just likes to rev.

20230724_194336.jpg

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ll likely switch to the 5.13 once my 285/75 wear out. I have about 25-30k to save my pennies.

APEX REX

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor and 21 2D Base 2.7 SAS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thinking about running some 37s on a 2-door Sas with the 2.3L and manual transmission. Looking for feedback on how noticeable the power loss is from those that have run that set up. The truck on 35" Toyo MT is accpetable in terms of get up and go (passing power is decent, and getting on the freeway is pretty easy). I'd like to run some 37s, but just curious if those that are running them feel there is too much loss of power in terms of getting on the freeway, passing on the freeway, etc.

I'd consider running a BFG MT since it is a touch shorter, and weighs 13lbs less than the 37x13.50r17 Toyo, but I have one brand new Toyo sitting on the shelf that I could finally use if I went with Toyos on this build. My mind tells me run the BFG to retain some power, but the child in me is saying put that fat Toyo on there for looks.

Thanks in advance.
The problem is not the 37" tire, it's the rotating mass and your tire choice is the worst. 37" Toyo M/Ts are the heaviest 37s on the market. Go with 37" Cooper Discoverer STT Pros. Awesome tire and aggressive tread and in 37s they are 1 lb lighter per tire than your 35" toyos.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CustomPerformance

CustomPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The problem is not the 37" tire, it's the rotating mass and your tire choice is the worst. 37" Toyo M/Ts are the heaviest 37s on the market. Go with 37" Cooper Discoverer STT Pros. Awesome tire and aggressive thread and in 37s they are 1 lb lighter per tire than your 35" toyos.
I've run STT Pros in 37" on a Jeep Cherokee before, and they are a pretty good tire. Definitely cool looking, and certainly an option to consider. I know the Toyos are heavy pigs, but since I already have a brand new one on hand it makes it nice to only have to buy 4 tires instead of 5.

Figured I should post a before pic so I can post an after pic once it's all done...
Ford Bronco Who is running 37" tires with a 2.3L and Manual Transmission? Low Res IMG_0765.JPG

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Toyo over Cooper all day.
Sponsored