First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 FJ Cruiser, 21 JLURXR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The IFS steering response/predictability is on a much higher level than solid axles, speed on rough only amplifies the difference. Centering is just one aspect.

145K with lots of wheeling on IFS and have never broken a CV, and I carry a spare with needed tools. The boots leaked at 120K and replaced myself, 30 minutes a side. Solid axle durability vs. easy/modular replacement? easy.

Articulation of the solid axle it's strongest advantage.
Sponsored

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As an Austin resident who knows the roads and route he's taking from downtown out west very well, I can completely understand the garbage mpg's he's getting. It's constant traffic and 45-60 mph speed limit roads with tons of stoplights, breaking on down hills, and accelerating through steep uphills. Even feather footing our stock 4dr wrangler JK around here in west Austin, we can't climb above an average of 16 mpg (and its rated for 16-20 cty/hwy). Our stock wrangler would average about 14 mpg or worse on the route he's taken with his slightly spirited driving, so not much better than the 12.7 mpg he's reporting. Sure, I've gotten 19 mpg on single trips to HEB and back with light traffic and not hitting many lights, but that's hard to achieve and requires a lot of coasting.

TLDR: take his current fuel economy rating with a HEAVY grain of salt.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
81 lbs, so the BL wheels are 30 lb? Where did you find that? I was looking at some wheels that are 23lb, that's enough difference to feel.
There was a video weighing an optional BL wheel at 81lbs with the Goodyears. I know what you're asking but its not apples to apples. Video starts at the wheel and tire on a scale.

Superstition

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon unlimited tricked out
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
He really misrepresents the wrangler mpg, unfortunately.
Yes he did. I enjoyed the video though. I have a JK Unlimited Rubicon with 35's (Pentastar 3.6L 6 cylinder). The best I can get is 15 to "maybe" 16 MPG. I bought a Badlands/SAS because the 35's really help with off road performance and I expect the IFS to be much better than my Jeep on road. Fuel economy wasn't even on my list of considerations.

I don't think anyone is buying a Bronco FE, WT, or BL and thinking about fuel economy.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm a big fan of his channel. If you want to learn some stuff - mostly about cars but also about electricity, hydrodynamics, power generation, etc - it's a great watch. He does a good job explaining the "how" behind so many technical things. I enjoy learning a lot from his videos.

I enjoy his how it works videos much more than his straight vehicle reviews.

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
81 lbs, so the BL wheels are 30 lb? Where did you find that? I was looking at some wheels that are 23lb, that's enough difference to feel.
I was watching the bronconation video where they put 35” and 37” tires on the stock Badlands. 81.6# for the optional wheels and Goodyear mud tires.

Check this video around minute 7.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

18 vs 17 isn't really that much of a difference
The tire diameter itself only matters because it increases ground clearance which allows more air under the Bronco and increases drag. The difference in size that has the most effect on mileage is the width because it increases the size of the contact patch which increases drag by having more tire in touch with the ground at a given time - more friction. The other big issues are tread material (softer= more drag) and tread pattern. More blocks means more traction but also means more block squirm which means more internal friction which takes energy.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The tire diameter itself only matters because it increases ground clearance which allows more air under the Bronco and increases drag. The difference in size that has the most effect on mileage is the width because it increases the size of the contact patch which increases drag by having more tire in touch with the ground at a given time - more friction. The other big issues are tread material (softer= more drag) and tread pattern. More blocks means more traction but also means more block squirm which means more internal friction which takes energy.
I should say "...diameter within reason..."

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tire width is important for drag, but there is more to it than that. Larger diameter effectively reduces gear ratio, so the engine has to work harder to get the truck moving and keep it rolling. Heavier tire and wheel combos are increased rotational mass that must be moved to accelerate, brake, and steer. Rotational mass has a multiplier of 2:1 for tires and 1.6:1 for wheels compared to regular vehicle weight, so adding 40# on all 4 tire and wheel assemblies (160#) is like adding close to 300# on the truck for acceleration and braking purposes. On other forums (Tacoma) guys are reporting a significant difference in feel, power, and mileage when changing the wheel combo by as little as 10 pounds.

I’m guessing there will be some skinny tire threads on here soon if there aren’t already. 255/85R16 will find their was onto a lot of base Broncos, and 255/80R17 on many others. The only problem with the skinny tires is they are all E rated. The E rating means they are heavy, so they weigh about the same 53# as a 285/70R17 BFG AT.

Last edited:

Low Hammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

EE is clearly not the Bronco’s target market if he is that concerned with the mpg figures, but that doesn’t invalidate his concerns.

Actually thats a problem I have with a lot of car reviews in general; they tend to reflect the driving preferences of the reviewers rather than that of potential customers. If we actually cared what reviewers thought about driving we’d all be driving cheaper 2 door rwd convertibles with manual transmissions because it’s all about the fun factor of driving. Instead “everyone” buys 3 row soccer
mom suvs.

I do find it funny though that an Idaho resident who frequently does test drives on mountain roads would not seem to get the appeal of the Bronco especially given that the city he lives in(boise) is a stones throw away from sand dunes, desert trails, and snow capped mountains covered in woodland. If he planned it out right he could find a legitimate use for every goat mode over the course of one day in his home state.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon XLT 1500 4x4, Jeep Liberty Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where can I get that Powder Blue in the video @12:58? That was gorgeous

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is great YouTube channel if you haven't seen any of his videos!

.... i want that ford mount! any one have a link?

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tire width is important for drag, but there is more to it than that. Larger diameter effectively reduces gear ratio, so the engine has to work harder to get the truck moving and keep it rolling. Heavier tire and wheel combos are increased rotational mass that must be moved to accelerate, brake, and steer. Rotational mass has a multiplier of 2:1 for tires and 1.6:1 for wheels compared to regular vehicle weight, so adding 40# on all 4 tire and wheel assemblies (160#) is like adding close to 300# on the truck for acceleration and braking purposes. On other forums (Tacoma) guys are reporting a significant difference in feel, power, and mileage when changing the wheel combo by as little as 10 pounds.

I’m guessing there will be some skinny tire threads on here soon if there aren’t already. 255/85R16 will find their was onto a lot of base Broncos, and 255/80R17 on many others. The only problem with the skinny tires is they are all E rated. The E rating means they are heavy, so they weigh about the same 53# as a 285/70R17 BFG AT.
Interesting. If the stock upgraded Badlands wheel/tire combo weighs 81.6, then the wheel itself weighs 36.6. That is subtracting the claimed 45 Goodyear tire's posted weight.

Isn't that heavy for a 8x17 wheel? Is it because it's a 4 wheeler bead lock capable?

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting. If the stock upgraded Badlands wheel/tire combo weighs 81.6, then the wheel itself weighs 36.6. That is subtracting the claimed 45 Goodyear tire's posted weight.

Isn't that heavy for a 8x17 wheel? Is it because it's a 4 wheeler bead lock capable?
17x8.5” Raptor beadlocks for the Gen 2 are 36.8# each with the fake rings, lock rings added a few more pounds. The 17x8.5 non beadlock are 31.5# last I checked. Some guys were chasing aftermarket wheels that were 24-26#. If I kept mine that was the direction I would’ve gone.

45# seems light for the Goodyear’s in a LT285/70R17, but that is what they show on Tire Rack. The stock BFG’s should be 52#, the Falken AT3W are 63#, and some P rated tires are 41-43#. I could certainly see getting the Cooper 4S at 43# in the future, but if the 45# number on the Goodyear is accurate I might consider changing my order to get them.

Ford Bronco Why Did They Choose Independent Suspension For 2021 Bronco? - Engineering Explained 3041BB69-1403-4E13-8B5E-842047EE4881
Ford Bronco Why Did They Choose Independent Suspension For 2021 Bronco? - Engineering Explained 725CBB79-1AA6-46CE-9E67-7EBDA5A5B059
Ford Bronco Why Did They Choose Independent Suspension For 2021 Bronco? - Engineering Explained 0F32E75E-A3C1-4F20-B018-50D11DE75C26
Ford Bronco Why Did They Choose Independent Suspension For 2021 Bronco? - Engineering Explained 516431A5-5551-4A54-B1DA-4428FD4C8839
Ford Bronco Why Did They Choose Independent Suspension For 2021 Bronco? - Engineering Explained 776BB486-5218-44AB-BAC8-3FBAF77074C1
Sponsored

Last edited: