Sponsored

Will Ford Delete the Base 2.3L engine option?

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sure, some things like that will interchange, but they do not use the same block, internals, heads, etc... even if the dimensions are similar or the same.
My point is it's shown to be a very modular and adaptable platform. Right here we have a company with a kit to stroke 2.0 and 2.3 ecoboosts to 2.5. Esslinger has a crank to get to 2.6.
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Potential of the 300 is always tantalizing. Modified LS head, turbo, etc, but ultimately I think it's only worth building one if you already have it stock. I would import a Barra first if was set on an L6.
Your thinking is always ahead of mine. One more thought and I'll drop it. A hot Rodded 300 from the 1970s mated to a 5 spd overdrive truck transmission and transfercase 2.72 low range from the 90s

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Your thinking is always ahead of mine. One more thought and I'll drop it. A hot Rodded 300 from the 1970s mated to a 5 spd overdrive truck transmission and transfercase 2.72 low range from the 90s
Yes.

Arguably one of Ford's best engines of all time. Nearly indestructible.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bet it's been done. A 90's M5R2 or ZF5 from a 302 will bolt right on.

Here's how convoluted my 66 drivetrain ended up when the credit card stopped smoking. 2.3, Jeep AX15, Ecobox 2.72 underdrive, NP205F. Parts that span what, 40-50 years, working in harmony.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I bet it's been done. A 90's M5R2 or ZF5 from a 302 will bolt right on.

Here's how convoluted my 66 drivetrain ended up when the credit card stopped smoking. 2.3, Jeep AX15, Ecobox 2.72 underdrive, NP205F. Parts that span what, 40-50 years, working in harmony.
Wow. Is it running?

Sponsored

SoDak1623

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F150, 2022 Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My point is it's shown to be a very modular and adaptable platform. Right here we have a company with a kit to stroke 2.0 and 2.3 ecoboosts to 2.5. Esslinger has a crank to get to 2.6.
Ah, I see what you mean that makes a lot more sense. Yeah Ford changing up the EBs would definitely be possible, and would certainly make for some interesting options!

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe that's what you saw compared, but I've always said give me a nice big V8 over this turbo crap. Everyone else always said "Turbos will smoke your V8... blah blah blah". So you can compare it to whatever you want, but I'd still take the V8 any day of the week. Even the old 351 out of my '94 Bronco.

Anyways, I'm done hi-jacking the thread. We aren't going down that rabbit hole again.
If you want a truck with a big V8, there's a Ford with a 502 big block that I know the owner is looking to sell, 😁.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To answer the question - I doubt the 2.3 in the bronco is departing, Ford just updated the 2.3

Also, no issues here with my 2.3 MT combo. Is it a drag truck, nope. Coming from my Vdub GTI, the bronco is slower to be sure, but lets be real about the purpose of these trucks. I found myself pushing 90 often on the interstate, and have no issue getting to highway speed quickly or passing

i'm rolling on 35's but do have the performance tune so very close to 2.7 perf numbers but the joy of a manual. Anyone who hates on the 2.3, seriously try driving one with the perf tune, you may change your mind

Last edited:

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Or they could do a bigger I-4. I won't lie, the 2.7L I-4 that Chevy just released looks slick.

---

Anyway... no complaints with my 2.3L EcoBoost, and I think it's a good fit for the Bronco. As the DIY type who likes to work on their own vehicles there is a bunch or reasons why I personally have no desire to own the 2.7L.

If the Bronco had 5000 lbs+ towing, then yeah.... I think the 2.7L would be a no-brainer. But it doesn't so I don't see really see the point in the 2.7L engine on a off-road rock-crawling sub-30 MPH type of vehicle.

BUT, this is coming from someone who thought the 300 I-6 and 302 V-8 from the 1980s/1990s was perfectly adequate in the old Broncos. And the 2.3L has better performance that both of those engines... so... 🤷‍♂️ Maybe I'm just out of touch.
With the IFS I don't see the Bronco as a rock crawler, I'm just full of unpopular opinions. Even the raptor.
Ford Bronco Will Ford Delete the Base 2.3L engine option? 1694637694822

Sponsored

AK007

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting my Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They're keeping the 2.3 L to incorporate a hybrid at some point is my guess. According to a few reads, there is space in the 2.3 config for hybrid components.

Wyatt

Black Diamond
First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
With the IFS I don't see the Bronco as a rock crawler, I'm just full of unpopular opinions. Even the raptor.
Ford Bronco Will Ford Delete the Base 2.3L engine option? 1694637694822
Man I don’t know everyone is entitled to their opinions the bronco is not the best rock crawler but it’s capable there is enough proof of that. Stop letting the whole IFS thing just blind you. ❤

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
They're keeping the 2.3 L to incorporate a hybrid at some point is my guess. According to a few reads, there is space in the 2.3 config for hybrid components.
Sounds good to me. As long as they don't pull over the useless hybrid in the Explorer.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Every engine eventually gets replaced, but if the 2.3 gets replaced soon it'll likely be by the revised 2.3 going in the new base Mustang.
Exactly. This is what everyone is worried about.

They will replace the 2.3 with the new 2.3 and kill the Stick Shift for good.

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Couple of the ecoboost engines came from the Mazda platform (2.0 & 2.3 I believe)I’m hoping they take that new I6 3.3 turbo Mazda introduced this year and do something with it.
Sponsored