Sponsored

Engine 2.3l or 2.7l? Is the upgrade worth it?

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I could pay cash for the Bronco if I really wanted…it’s not always about whether someone can afford something. If you’ve got F.U. money, do whatever you want. I drove the 2.3L and had a smile plastered to my face the whole time. If I thought driving the 2.3 was a complete joy already, and there’s no practical reason to get the 2.7, I don’t really care about getting the larger engine. Like I said, I was going to get the 2.7 just for the hell of it, and they converted my order before I could change it, but I’ll be totally happy with the 2.3. I’ve got 110k miles on my Explorer with a 2.3…I’m not concerned about the longevity of the engine. Like jjack says, I’m also sure any issues are overblown. *I’m actually more concerned about the transmission than the engine, as noted in other threads. **does anyone actually care about one petal driving? In the videos that I saw, it was basically “this feature is for my wife” 🤣
Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have only driven the 2.7 in a F-150, the 2.3 I have driven in a 4 door big bend non sas, ranger, explorer and mustang.

The 2.3 is plenty. I used to have Mustangs, so I liked going fast. But I understand the Bronco is a totally different type of vehicle. When I had my focus, I felt it lacked power passing was a chore and it just felt like it never had enough to get out of its own way.

The 2.3 in the bronco/ranger is plenty. Its got more than enough to get out of its own way, feels spirited and was fun to drive.

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a Day 1 Res for a 2.7L 2DR which was finally scheduled for build on 11/15, but in the interim was fortunate enough to buy a 2.3 Manual 4dr which I put 2k miles on. I was very opposed to the 4cyl in a 4 door but once I had it , it really grew on me. Was a little slow off the line but I would agree that it loved third gear, you just need to get there. In sport mode it seems much quicker. I averaged 20.8 mpg over 2k miles. I just think these are intentionally geared low to enhance off road performance, and you have to get through those first 2 gears for it to really start moving. I will report back once I get my V6.
I would add that moving from 32" tires to anything bigger is probably going to destroy that 20.8 MPG average I got. This was a 4dr Black Diamond with Steelies. That was mostly back road driving and short trips, with one longer highway trip mixed in. All I can say is I already miss my Bronco, I sold the 4Dr in anticipation of my 2 Door being built (well so they say) 11/15. I figured I did not need the 4 DR over winter and I'd take advantage of the demand, the profit will help pay for the 2DR. My wife said she misses it too which is encouraging. We both really enjoyed it.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a Base 4DR Sasquatch with the 2.3. The gearing is what makes the 2.3 very usable in the different configurations. I would have done the 2.7 if I just stuck with a non-SAS Base 4DR because of the 3.73 gearing. I'd also do the 2.7 if I planned to go bigger than 37" tires also.

I have no issues with the power output of the 2.3 in the SAS package. Even in ECO mode it'll pull hard once you hit about 3K RPM.

Per FUELLY, I've only averaged about 16.9 mpg over 2290 miles. Most of my driving is start/stop city type driving. On longer road trips, I've been close to 18 mpg. On board computer currently says 18 mpg so it's a little hopeful.

I'm good with my choice of the 2.3.
Eco mode isn't going to limit your WOT power

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2.7 has electronic brake assist. The 2.3 has the Ranger inferior vacuum assist. Car and Driver has tested both and found the 2.3 has much further stopping distance.
No one pedal drive with 2.3. , along with the well documented ill designed induction system.
The 2.7 has way too many advantages not purchase. If you can't afford it you probably shouldn't
be buying a Bronco...
I find that surprising. Any car should be able to activate abs with a max effort brake stop.

Sponsored

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve driven the 2.3 auto and have the 2.7 with 3,000 miles on it. I am sooooooo (omitting more ooooo’s) glad I went with the 2.7.
Im not a mechanic, just a dude who’s owned a few Jeep’s and other fun vehicles over the years. The 2.7 just felt better, and it was very noticeable. I totally get the manual 2.3 gang but I’d be pressed to recommend the automatic after spending the time in my BL. Getting from 40-75mph in the 2.7 is effortless. I haven’t put it through the heavy paces off road yet, but for what I do with it the 2.7 is perfect. Glad I didn’t go with the smaller engine, and I really debated it.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I find that surprising. Any car should be able to activate abs with a max effort brake stop.
Read the Ranger complaints on it's forum . Car and Driver also found their brakes concerning (same 2.3 vacuum assist).
Every vehicle has very different braking dynamics. Trouble with the Bronco it is so darn heavy.
Don't shoot the messenger...

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe I have a unique perspective on this…

Have a 2.7L on 32s and a 2.3L on 37s. It got to me on 37s so I don’t know how it drove before. Both of them run regular gas.

Genuinely didn’t know which was which at first and hardly notice a power difference even now. In fact, the only real difference I have noticed is the sound. The 2.3 sounds closer to a stock V8 (or a 4cylinder with an aftermarket exhaust ;) ) while the 2.7 is quiet like a hybrid.

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the 2.3L was enough Ford would not be putting a 3.0L in premium trim models.

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Another good YouTube video is by the The Budget Mechanic- 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder. Apart from other things discussed here I just did not find the gas mileage of the 2.3 to be significantly better to seriously consider it.

Sponsored

equitasforall

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Read the Ranger complaints on it's forum . Car and Driver also found their brakes concerning (same 2.3 vacuum assist).
Every vehicle has very different braking dynamics. Trouble with the Bronco it is so darn heavy.
Don't shoot the messenger...
Had to do a full on evasive maneuver on the interstate on the drive home after buying my Bronco. Had zero issues with the brakes during the evasive action. Plenty grippy... plenty responsive. No concern they weren't going to get me stopped when the time came for that. And that was on a 2 door badlands with the 2.3, sasquatch, leveling kit, and a REALLY heavy wheel/tire combination. Was very pleased with how the vehicle handled and performed during all situations on the 1800 mile journey home. No complaints here...

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey guys,

I wanted your opinion on the 2 engine choices. I am leaning towards to the 2.7l for more power, etc.

Haven't driven the 2, does anyone have some 1st hand experience with the different engines?

Looking at a Badlands 2.7l and keeping it stock.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks!!!
The 2.7 beats the 2.3 at almost everything, even MPG.

The only advantages of the 2.3 are:
Cheaper upfront cost (but as % of purchase price it is nominal)
It weighs less (which is somewhat helpful for off-roading)
And the biggest advantage is that in this case its the only way you can get a manual transmission.

I don't understand why Ford chose to go with options that are so similar across the board.
A 2.3 vs a 3.0 would have made a lot more sense. Then put the 3.5 in the Braptor etc...

LOSTXGOLD

Base
First Name
TEO
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lostgoldx.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAV4, past: 2013 BMW 328i, 370Z, XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2.7 beats the 2.3 at almost everything, even MPG.

The only advantages of the 2.3 are:
Cheaper upfront cost (but as % of purchase price it is nominal)
It weighs less (which is somewhat helpful for off-roading)
And the biggest advantage is that in this case its the only way you can get a manual transmission.

I don't understand why Ford chose to go with options that are so similar across the board.
A 2.3 vs a 3.0 would have made a lot more sense. Then put the 3.5 in the Braptor etc...
I’m sure Ford did it for profit margins, but that would be a sweet engine choice

🤣

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2 door then 2.3
4 door then 2.7 especially if its black diamond or badlands trip.
Sponsored