Sponsored

Will Ford ever produce the elusive black modular top?

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do not suspect we will see any offerings from Ford until maybe 2026? The aftermarket is getting caught up in both soft and hard tops. Even if Ford offered something, it would need to compete with these tops, and be better, not just "as good".
Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm pretty certain I know the answer to this - Our MICs that have severe "honey combing-effect" are covered under the warranty, correct? I know a bunch of you guys have had it checked out by the dealerships and replaced.
It should be, if you can find a dealer who will put in the replacement. Its been a hit or miss, because Ford was denying things for a long time, and some service writers remember the denials and wont put in new requests for what's been denied in the past.

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It should be, if you can find a dealer who will put in the replacement. Its been a hit or miss, because Ford was denying things for a long time, and some service writers remember the denials and wont put in new requests for what's been denied in the past.
Good to know. I just got off of the phone with my dealership. I have an apt for the first Sat in March to have a tech look at it, take pics and send it to Ford for replacement. The honeycombing is getting worse, so I better attempt a replacement now. Also, my dealership here in Vegas said its the first call that shes taken for a MIC warranty.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Availability will depend on the HE being built out. If the HE gets terminated, I could see another special edition being offered for MY25 with a version of the modular top and black would be the next logical color choice. As far as an over-the-counter painted top, check back in 2030, and then only maybe.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I'll keep driving my Wrangler until Ford can offer the body color modular top they showed all the way back on launch night🤷‍♂️. To be this far into the run and it only being available on the HE and only in white is disappointing to say the least. I will not own a Bronco with the MIC top ever.
Way back when, my original want was a white top so I selected the black mod top hoping a white alternative would find it's way or worse case I'd get it painted. Fast forward 3 years with 2 of those in a 99 status waiting for the mod top to even show back up and the last one waiting on my HE with surprise surprise, my white top!

I didn't save any of the old colorizer pics except for white with white top but here it was for any doubters ...

u725_21_2dr_oxford_white_env_28.jpg

u725_21_2dr_oxford_white_env_10.jpg

Worse case, buy a Heritage and paint the top whatever color you want, Lord knows I was tired of waiting!

Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Way back when, my original want was a white top so I selected the black mod top hoping a white alternative would find it's way or worse case I'd get it painted. Fast forward 3 years with 2 of those in a 99 status waiting for the mod top to even show back up and the last one waiting on my HE with surprise surprise, my white top!

I didn't save any of the old colorizer pics except for white with white top but here it was for any doubters ...

Ford Bronco Will Ford ever produce the elusive black modular top? u725_21_2dr_oxford_white_env_10

Ford Bronco Will Ford ever produce the elusive black modular top? u725_21_2dr_oxford_white_env_10

Worse case, buy a Heritage and paint the top whatever color you want, Lord knows I was tired of waiting!
Man talk about a trip down memory lane.... Gunner hatch and all!

Limecreek

Badlands
First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW R1100RS, BMW R1200RS, Honda CRV, Honda HRV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sold my fully optioned Badlands last July when I realized Ford was not going to keep their mod HT commitment. And the other aftermarket option was going to cost me $7K and that was if they would ever ship from AF.

I really liked the truck but the noise, even with a Bestop and a headliner was just too loud for my wife and I. MOD top ETA was unknown and the risk of spending $7 with AF was too risky for me.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I cancelled my Grangtober order when Ford sent out the ultimatum emails to drop options or risk losing price protection. Bought a 2 door JL Rubicon the next week. Luckily, got in on it before prices went haywire there for a bit. I started with a black 2dr BadSquatch w/ Lux order, switched to Eruption Green when it was offered, and held out hope that by the time my number was called that they'd have the mod top available. Ford still not being able to build what I was shown on launch night and being told the only likely way my order would be fulfilled would be to step down from what I wanted was the final straw for me to step away. I'd consider coming back if the mod top were ever made available and I could get what I wanted all along so I check back in here on occasion.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Sold my fully optioned Badlands last July when I realized Ford was not going to keep their mod HT commitment. And the other aftermarket option was going to cost me $7K and that was if they would ever ship from AF.

I really liked the truck but the noise, even with a Bestop and a headliner was just too loud for my wife and I. MOD top ETA was unknown and the risk of spending $7 with AF was too risky for me.
The mod top isn't whisper quiet either, I haven't been in a MIC top at speed but my mod still has wind noise thru the seals. In the past I have compared the sound to my 17 year old FJC with its old original seals, which isn't bad but not Cadillac quiet by any means.

OP
OP
HBTFD

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In a few weeks I’ll take possession of my mod top tremor using the $4250 ford gave me for canceling my original mod top order that turned into a heritage order.
IMG_2590.jpeg

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

In a few weeks I’ll take possession of my mod top tremor using the $4250 ford gave me for canceling my original mod top order that turned into a heritage order.
Ford Bronco Will Ford ever produce the elusive black modular top? IMG_2590
You should have held out for a softie 🤪

Ford Bronco Will Ford ever produce the elusive black modular top? convertible-ford-f-150-is-real-and-its-pretty-special-114980_1

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Will Ford ever produce (for sale) a bronco with a black modular top? Just about every add on Ford showed off in 2020 is available now, slide out floor, Braptor, Heritage, Everglades, low range axles, etc. but no black modular tops. My guess is if they painted the modular top black it would show 100s of defects in the top. The white paint on the heritage helps to hide defects, black magnifies defects. Lord knows the hard tops have been a huge struggle.
*THIS IS ALL MY SPECULATION*
My guess is that the black MOD top will be out next year with the MYT2025 refresh, maybe with the long-rumored "Oates" edition.
I think their original plan was to roll out the black out first, then the white with the HE, then the body color top. That plan went down the tubes when the MIC had all the issues and sucked up their engineering resources to take care of that, so they put the MOD on the back burner and ended up rolling out the white MOD top first so that they could get the HE's out. But then they ran into production issues with the MOD top as well and now here we are...

I'm with @Lowcountry Bronco and @BigFootie, my white MOD top on my HE is flawless. It's actually better than the paint on the body.

This was my original build, CO with the black MOD top.

Ford Bronco Will Ford ever produce the elusive black modular top? 2021 Bronco

OP
OP
HBTFD

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

*THIS IS ALL MY SPECULATION*
My guess is that the black MOD top will be out next year with the MYT2025 refresh, maybe with the long-rumored "Oates" edition.
I think their original plan was to roll out the black out first, then the white with the HE, then the body color top. That plan went down the tubes when the MIC had all the issues and sucked up their engineering resources to take care of that, so they put the MOD on the back burner and ended up rolling out the white MOD top first so that they could get the HE's out. But then they ran into production issues with the MOD top as well and now here we are...

I'm with @Lowcountry Bronco and @BigFootie, my white MOD top on my HE is flawless. It's actually better than the paint on the body.

This was my original build, CO with the black MOD top.

Ford Bronco Will Ford ever produce the elusive black modular top? 2021 Bronco
Hope you’re right. White paint hides everything but dirt.

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, I say that facetiously. I'd still like to see Ford offer the Bronco how it was originally promoted. I'm out of the buying game until something really warrants my interest.
I'll keep driving my Wrangler until Ford can offer the body color modular top they showed all the way back on launch night🤷‍♂️. To be this far into the run and it only being available on the HE and only in white is disappointing to say the least. I will not own a Bronco with the MIC top ever.
Same.

My JL Rubi that I ordered when base Bronco ordering was in limbo has been just fine.