Sponsored

Will Stock Black Diamond Handle 12” Snow on Unplowed Forest Roads?

AllthePonies

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT and Expedition Max
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a stock black diamond 2.3 manual with the 32” General Grabber A/T tires. There’s a camp I go to in Michigan that has some national park maintained gravel/dirt roads and then some camp maintained sandy/dirt roads. It’s easy going in the summer unless it rains quite a bit. However, in the middle of February with a foot of untouched snow it’s a different story.

I’ve made the journey in a Chevy 2500 before, but I’m wondering whether the Bronco will make it. The roads have some moderate elevation changes since the camp is in a valley and are more or less one car width surrounded by a lot of trees so you have to keep your speed reasonable.

Anyone have any direct experience with this type of situation or am I going to have to guess and check? I’m thinking a winch might be a good idea if there isn’t another more capable vehicle with me.

Ford Bronco Will Stock Black Diamond Handle 12” Snow on Unplowed Forest Roads? 543E09A5-7C65-46B9-8F98-4C9932F51EB2
Sponsored

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’d imagine it should handle it just fine, especially if you’re in 4H. If the speeds will be slow and steady then 4H is the way to go here.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AllthePonies

AllthePonies

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT and Expedition Max
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have to image a Bronco is at least as capable as a Chevy 2500. Unless I am missing something.
I don’t have a lot of experience driving off-road in general and almost zero in snow so I’m trying to learn what the limits are to avoid getting into a sticky situation. What I have seen first hand though is that everyone I’ve known with a heavy duty truck can go almost anywhere in snow and ice given the amount of weight sitting over the wheels. I’d be thrilled if my Bronco was as good as an HD truck in snow.

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Overall weight it not necessarily an advantage. Weight distribution, traction and suspension compliance are more meaningful. Tires are your first line of defense and the General's fare pretty well for a stock tire. I find that if traction is an issue drop some pressure out of the tires, again adding to compliance, you dount want to be rigid a stiff in slick situations. Sorry my my previous reply was a little course but a sock Bronco should out drive a 3/4 ton pickup all day long off road.

BUDXR7

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (hopefully)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Too many variables to answer. My TJ has a fresh set of the general grabber AT’s, which are the same as your BD. They’re very similar to the BFG KO2’s in tread pattern and depth also. I don’t know how the compounds compare but it does make a difference.

We got about 6” of somewhat wet snow on Friday. I took my daughter tearing around the yard. Flat stuff was nothing. Inclines were fine with some momentum. Start on a slope? Nope. Also as another poster mentioned, snow type matters. Powder doesn’t slow you down. Wet snow will present some resistance. Also, is there ice or hard pack under the fresh 12”. Lots of variables.

Ford Bronco Will Stock Black Diamond Handle 12” Snow on Unplowed Forest Roads? 7C3CEB92-2D74-44D1-A0F6-9E2D50A3B726

Ford Bronco Will Stock Black Diamond Handle 12” Snow on Unplowed Forest Roads? 33EE1C4A-36AE-4B9E-BA83-6214F047A4A9

Ford Bronco Will Stock Black Diamond Handle 12” Snow on Unplowed Forest Roads? 0D352EC0-E04F-40A2-B02F-FB8C08C26943

Last edited:

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I would consider a set of tire chains at least for the rears.

I have used F&R chains on my company Ram 3500 Cummins Crew Cab in the backwoods and never had a problem with 18-24" snow, drifts or breaking ice on while fording a river. Never needed to use the winch.

https://tirechain.com/

Great Prices and Excellent Customer Service.

Last edited:

Sponsored

7.3ltr bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 f350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would have sometype of winch and some sand ladders or mat tracks. But snow type and base is going to be the key. Also if your not going that fast grab some snow chains and throw them on right before you get going into the hairy stuff.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have to image a Bronco is at least as capable as a Chevy 2500. Unless I am missing something.
^^^this
If my bronco is not as capable in any and every type of terrain as my F250, I will have a bronco for sale as soon as it gets here. My F250 (open differentials) is dogshit in deep snow.

nhbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sequoia, F150, Ranger, Roadtrek Agile
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I drive in snow frequently and this past weekend was the first time I got to drive my Bronco in it. Also a manual black diamond with stock wheels. It did great on hills, etc. No issues. The smaller tires help (skinnier tires tends to be better in most types of snow). But, as others have said, the actual conditions you are facing will matter a ton. Driving on fire trails with a foot of snow alone seems like a bad idea. Even in good weather, people tend not to go off-roading alone. Better to do it with another car that can help. If you are on your own, you need a way to self-recover.

You mentioned that you have limited off-road experience and almost no snow driving experience. Going to the camp without other vehicles with you seems like a terrible idea. What happens if you get stuck? getting out of that situation would be hard if the weather was good. Factor in freezing temps and such....

You mention a winch - a good idea if you know how to use it. Using it the wrong way can be disastrous.
Sponsored