Sponsored

will the bronco be cancelled altogether?

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The answer is NOPE. NOT A CHANCE
Sponsored

OP
OP
BE_

BE_

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 jeep cherokee, piece of junk Korean car
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is this for real?.. ?
no, i think the fact that i was basing my entire claim off some threads being unstickied makes it very clear that i was joking...

ben5243

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think this is actually a valid question and one I'm also worried about since they postponed the reveal. I've been anticipating this for over a year. It has nothing to do with sunk costs, only the bottom line moving forward.

Something to consider - If the economy absolutely tanks overnight (not saying it has or it will, but if it did), the number of people looking for fun SUV daily drivers and off-road toys goes way down, that's just a fact. Same thing happened in 2008. Maybe not you or I, but the overall numbers go down, especially on the true profit makers like the Rubicon-equivalent trims. Sure, the anticipation for the Bronco is high right now, but if they launch an expensive vehicle at a low point in the economy and the initial response from buyers is weak, that can stain the entire trajectory of a product and cause it to never take off.
Remember, the the profit margin from a base trim is low. They make all their profit on higher end trims, the base trim just increases volume so production costs stay down. For that reason, I don't see them canceling higher trim levels or saving them for later, but it's possible.

The fact that they canceled the revealing makes me nervous and they might be buying time to see how the economy plays out. If this thing really does drag out for months and keep factories and offices closed, it's very very possible they could scrap the launch and keep the design in their books for a few years until the economy improves. That said, I really hope this passes soon and the buzz comes right back, but if it gets worse this question could become very real.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think this is actually a valid question and one I'm also worried about since they postponed the reveal. I've been anticipating this for over a year. It has nothing to do with sunk costs, only the bottom line moving forward.

Something to consider - If the economy absolutely tanks overnight (not saying it has or it will, but if it did), the number of people looking for fun SUV daily drivers and off-road toys goes way down, that's just a fact. Same thing happened in 2008. Maybe not you or I, but the overall numbers go down, especially on the true profit makers like the Rubicon-equivalent trims. Sure, the anticipation for the Bronco is high right now, but if they launch an expensive vehicle at a low point in the economy and the initial response from buyers is weak, that can stain the entire trajectory of a product and cause it to never take off.
Remember, the the profit margin from a base trim is low. They make all their profit on higher end trims, the base trim just increases volume so production costs stay down. For that reason, I don't see them canceling higher trim levels or saving them for later, but it's possible.

The fact that they canceled the revealing makes me nervous and they might be buying time to see how the economy plays out. If this thing really does drag out for months and keep factories and offices closed, it's very very possible they could scrap the launch and keep the design in their books for a few years until the economy improves. That said, I really hope this passes soon and the buzz comes right back, but if it gets worse this question could become very real.
Well, the Wrangler was only down a single year and then skyrocketed from the last crash.

Ford Bronco will the bronco be cancelled altogether? 1584671322557

ben5243

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Those appear to be production numbers, not sales. I'm trying to find sales in $$ which tells a lot more (because the higher trims sell less) but I can't find the data quickly.
Sales figures, at least on Wikipedia, show a much more significant and lasting decrease in sales.
119 to 84 is a 30% drop.

Regardless, my point is that no brand wants to launch a product at the worst possible time. I agree that it would be foolish for them to scrap the Bronco 100% but they might cancel it, re-evaluate the market, then launch later. It's not my prediction, and I hope they don't as much as everyone else on here, I just think it's foolish to blindly believe they would NEVER do it.

Ford Bronco will the bronco be cancelled altogether? wrangler

Sponsored

Blitz1770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 GMC Canyon | '97 Mazda Miata | '69 Dodge Superbee
Killing the bronco is very unlikely. Developing a new model from the ground up is a massive investment for an automaker, incurring hundreds of millions or even billions in capital costs before selling a single unit. The Bronco and Bronco Sport are nearly complete, with only production infrastructure remaining. The sunk costs of abandoning the project would be astronomical at this stage. If anything, it's more probable that Ford will accelerate the launch of both models so that they can begin amortizing their capital expenses.

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They won't scrap it altogether, just be more cautious and patient until full reveal and launch.

This crash at least has lower oil prices as a result already, compared to some of the last runup to recessions/crashes.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
They won't scrap it altogether, just be more cautious and patient until full reveal and launch.

This crash at least has lower oil prices as a result already, compared to some of the last runup to recessions/crashes.
Lower oil prices is a key item - that could reduce a customer rush towards smaller more fuel efficient economy cars. And that's a good thing for Ford, seeing as they are getting rid of some economy car lines. If we have a recession plus high oil prices, Ford won't be able to offer customers the Fiesta, Focus, etc ... once they are out of stock and no longer in production.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm kind of hoping that's what the 66 or some other trim was meant to be all along, simple durable classic vehicle at a modest price.

Sunk Cost Fallacy

Just because they spent money in the past doesn't mean continuing with that plan is still a good idea.

I think it will in some form, but that isn't why.
Wrong...unless FORD completely goes out of business..and with really only a few new vehicles set for production in 2021...the money they spent is already calculated into their future profit or loss for at least 3 years..it's already there. If this was still two years out ..that would be a different situation.

They are expecting 200,000 Broncos being sold in its first year...figure the sales on a min $30,000 vehicle..with the exception of the F150..no other Ford product is going to outsell the new Ford Bronco..
If they don't make it ..they will have a hard time staying afloat.

In addition, Ford just suspended their dividend..that will free up billions of dollars per year.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Actually if you look at China..it's already over there..they are cranking up the factories ..it will be the same thing here by the end of April latest early May. It will be exactly what happened after WW2..an economic boom. We had already been taking steps to be less reliant on a world economy and more on a Main Street economy for the last 3 years..

Sponsored

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Actually if you look at China..it's already over there..they are cranking up the factories ..it will be the same thing here by the end of April latest early May. It will be exactly what happened after WW2..an economic boom. We had already been taking steps to be less reliant on a world economy and more on a Main Street economy for the last 3 years..
As long as you stay ahead of it and don’t go all Italy on us here.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well, the Wrangler was only down a single year and then skyrocketed from the last crash.

Ford Bronco will the bronco be cancelled altogether? wrangler
It also coincided with the launch of the 4dr

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would feel better if Ford would release an “official” teaser.
Even if it’s a Bronco doing doughnuts and you never actually see the bronco because of all the dust but the message is “coming soon”
There has to be some video footage they already got of it out at KOH doing something they could edit and never actually show the Bronco.

ben5243

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I 100% agree. I work with multiple electronic factories in China and they are all producing again for the last couple weeks. I don't expect this economic "crash" to be anywhere near as bad as the media is making it sound.
I also follow aviation news very closely as I used to work for a Boeing supplier, so my news feed is likely a bit more panic inducing as they are in a lot of trouble.

But I still stand by my point in that Ford may be waiting it out to see how bad it really is and I don't think canceling is impossible, just highly unlikely. The lack of teasers or leaks since the reveal was canceled has me nervous.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
factories in China and they are all producing again for the last couple weeks.
China factories are operating because their government has ordered them to do so.

I wonder how liability laws differ between us & the ChiComs? I know here in the USA there are legions of lawyers waiting to sue employers. I think suing the ChiComs is riskier business.
Sponsored