Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, I got my first crack in my windshield. A rock or something fell out of a tree, no cars or anything around! Weirdest thing.

It's tiny, maybe a couple millimeters (long as a sharpened pencil lead). I've got an appointment at Safelite tomorrow. Never done this before.

Just wondering about what I should know, starting with: Is $175 worth it? Anybody know if the crack will disappear when it's fixed?
Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had a crack in my windshield from a rock on our one very long road trip to a remote cabin on a mountain. It was a small crack like you described. Safelite came to our hose and repaired it. You can still see the crack, barely, you have to really look for it. It was a process to repair it, lot of steps. So far, so good, the crack has not spread.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a crack in my windshield from a rock on our one very long road trip to a remote cabin on a mountain. It was a small crack like you described. Safelite came to our hose and repaired it. You can still see the crack, barely, you have to really look for it. It was a process to repair it, lot of steps. So far, so good, the crack has not spread.
Great. I was hoping it would disappear, since the sun glints off it right into my eyes! lol Just perfectly in the right spot mid-afternoon. lol

I've heard of a lot of variability in how good Safelite techs are. If there's a bunch of steps, I hope that doesn't bode ill...

Roadbeast

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had a crack repaired at their shop. Two weeks later another rock crack the windshield. So this time they came to my house to replace the windshield. Both times, they did a great job. I told them my concerns about the paint around the windshield. No a scratch on the paint.
Happy with their service.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a crack repaired at their shop. Two weeks later another rock crack the windshield. So this time they came to my house to replace the windshield. Both times, they did a great job. I told them my concerns about the paint around the windshield. No a scratch on the paint.
Happy with their service.
Not that I'm looking, just wondering, did you get an OEM w/Bronco text, or aftermarket? Why did they choose to replace instead of fixing the second crack?

Sponsored

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Roadbeast

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not that I'm looking, just wondering, did you get an OEM w/Bronco text, or aftermarket? Why did they choose to replace instead of fixing the second crack?
My second crack was a lot bigger and need to be replaced. I got the after market windshield. It's cheaper and I figured this won't be the last time I need to replace it.

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the crack is in your field of vision, have it replaced. They never disappear fully when filled in. If you do have it filled, it should not expand anymore.

I've had my windshield replaced twice in 2.5 years of ownership. All the cracks came from rocks thrown on the highways around town here. The 2nd 1 was not in my field of vision, but left a 2" star crack on the bottom passenger part of the windshield. I sent SafeLite a photo and their reply was "Uh - no on the fill, you need a new windshield".

Thankfully, I have 100% glass coverage (which is by law here).

Told the SafeLite tech he should just make a yearly standing appt with me for a new windshield :)

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The crack or chip will still be visible after it's repaired. The repair should keep it from spreading, though. If it's right in your face, you may find out annoying enough to replace the windshield.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Get it fixed as other have said. The process is pretty easy. Basically evacuate and the backfill with a superglue type material.

Should keep it from spreading and typically insurance will cover with no deductible.

Sponsored

Langwilliams

Big Bend
First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco big bend, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I got a little "star" shaped chip. I used one of those Amazon repair kits. It still looks the same in my case. I just don't want it spreading. It's right in the middle of the windshield. If it spreads or I get more eventually I'll replace it.

When I do I might get one of those protective film kits for the windshield. They work like a smart phone screen protector. Anyone have experience with those? Looked to be around $200.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Last time I went to Safelite their tech got black RTV all over the upholstery, and they denied having anything to do with it when I came back into the shop with it all over my ass and smeared all over the seat.

The only good thing about it was it was the work truck, not my personal truck. But I still wasn't happy, and it was a nice truck that I took pretty good care of regardless.

I have a good local shop that does my glass now, a good deal cheaper than Safelite.

That said, I always try to get the repair done - it's way cheaper and faster. They can usually get it done in like 20 minutes. My insurance will do that for free, whereas I have a deductible for replacement. But you will still see the spot. If it's in the middle of the glass or something I'd still try the repair first, and if it's absolutely unbearable after a week -- oh no, another rock just fell out of the tree.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Last time I went to Safelite their tech got black RTV all over the upholstery, and they denied having anything to do with it when I came back into the shop with it all over my ass and smeared all over the seat.

The only good thing about it was it was the work truck, not my personal truck. But I still wasn't happy, and it was a nice truck that I took pretty good care of regardless.

I have a good local shop that does my glass now, a good deal cheaper than Safelite.

That said, I always try to get the repair done - it's way cheaper and faster. They can usually get it done in like 20 minutes. My insurance will do that for free, whereas I have a deductible for replacement. But you will still see the spot. If it's in the middle of the glass or something I'd still try the repair first, and if it's absolutely unbearable after a week -- oh no, another rock just fell out of the tree.
I’m somewhat biased as my brother owned an auto glass shop for many years. They typically do most auto body shop work and dealer work. Safelite is tied to the insurance industry so when you call your insurance, that’s normally where they send you. The service can be hit or miss. But that’s somewhat the same anywhere now. At least with an independent, you know where they are.
Sponsored