ColoradoSkiDreaming

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Only had my bronco a few weeks and I already got my first rock to the windshield…. I knew it was likely but I’m still bummed. My insurance covers repair or replacement …. So my question is - should I try and repair? Or replace? It’s two small pits with itty bitty spider legs from each. Not awful yet (above driver side wiper)… I’ve never had a rock in a windshield in my whole life. Advice please…. (Also I think the windshield is not orig… I bought a 21 with 17k miles on it and it doesn’t have Ford logo on glass so I’m thinking it was recently replaced).

Thank you for any tips or recs. Cheers.

IMG_2655.jpeg
Sponsored

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If they are bigger then a quarter replace, if not fill and move on. I have one of these on mine and it seems to help. Wind Deflector

Dreamer

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since you believe it’s not the original window I probably would want it replaced. I have filled similar cracks to your description in the past. Never was overly happy with the fix. They still are somewhat visible, and if your eye regularly sees them, it may be an annoyance while you’re driving. That’s just my opinion. Good luck.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's wintertime and changing temps may increase the size. If you are still driving along a rock chip prone route, then I would hold off as long as you can. You don't want to replace it, especially going through insurance, and get a chip in that next week.

Those deflectors or changing your driving routes are the only ways to prevent those cracks. The windshield is a rock magnet.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Get big chips filled. That keeps the moisture out and helps from developing into a crack which means it’s toast. Most insurance covers this with no deductible or charges.

Sponsored

buzzcutt2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Windshield crack? I'm in Florida and never heard of that, is it a new crack variant? 🚬:ROFLMAO:

HolidayDog

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Sign up for windshield coverage from your insurance policy provider. Mine is about $7month for 2 vehicles. Replacement deductible is $50. I bet most provides have similar plans.

Enjoy the chips for as long as you can stand it. Your chips are not in your line of sight, just obstructing the view of your hood.

CrazyPete

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If it were mine, i would definitely get it repaired before replacement. Living in Buffalo, NY and all the crap on the roads (mainly during winter), I've had multiple replacements and repairs over the years. The repairs were always really good and you could barely see it, if at all. Yours is low enough where you probably would just look past it anyways. A replacement, obviously, is much more involved and higher probability of "issues". Look on the bright side, if you don't like the repair, no worries, I'm sure you'll get another opportunity to replace it soon enough....👍 If you do decide to repair, you need to do it asap before it cracks.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You can DIY the crack/chip repair. The kits are very good. Save the replace for when you really need it. Most insurance cover windshield replacement/repair at no cost or minimal deductible. Still it qualifies as a claim on your insurance. File enough claims and your rate increases or they just don't renew the policy. Do the repair before they get worse and you are forced into a replacement.

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Given the damage is not right in your line-of-sight and our windshields upright position, (meaning more chips to come), I’d wait for more serious damage down the road. Repair it, and take satisfaction knowing that you have a “road tested” windshield you don’t have to worry about😉

Sponsored

MotoFish

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Glass places around us repair them for $50. Cheaper than new glass. The sooner they are repaired the better. Ours got a big dinger driving home from the dealership at 91 miles on odometer. Oncoming semi kicked up a rock.
I also carry a glass repair kit that I've only used on a Corolla. It was $10 and seems to have worked as good as the $50 pro fix.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'd try DIY repairing that with a Permatex or similar kit.

Recently did that for the first time on a rental car after not noticing a chip on check-out since it was rainy out. Worked surprisingly well.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Most insurance covers this with no deductible or charges.
Mine charged 250 bucks!

But I generally go with cheaper insurance with a higher deductible, because I come out ahead overall that way.

Mine was beyond repair, so I had it replaced. Safelite came to my house to do it and after watching them remove the old one and install the new one, I'm convinced that the quality of their installation was better than what the Ford factory did. More than a year later and no additional chips at all.

RCJJwOm.jpg

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sign up for windshield coverage from your insurance policy provider. Mine is about $7month for 2 vehicles. Replacement deductible is $50. I bet most provides have similar plans.

Enjoy the chips for as long as you can stand it. Your chips are not in your line of sight, just obstructing the view of your hood.
My insurance covers 100% of windshield repairs for no extra cost (yes maybe I pay more but for me, and zero deductible for deer damage)

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Mine charged 250 bucks!

But I generally go with cheaper insurance with a higher deductible, because I come out ahead overall that way.

Mine was beyond repair, so I had it replaced. Safelite came to my house to do it and after watching them remove the old one and install the new one, I'm convinced that the quality of their installation was better than what the Ford factory did. More than a year later and no additional chips at all.

Ford Bronco Advice on windshield crack please…. RCJJwOm
Was the 250 for full replacement or fix? Generally they would rather pay to fix it than to replace it because as soon as it develops a crack, you are SOL. But I must admit, I don’t know much about high deductible car insurance.
Sponsored