NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey All! I’m going to be posting a new build page shortly for my new ‘23 EG Wildtrak 4dr (LUX/MIC/HOSS3.0 standard), but I’m trouble shooting an issue and could use a little help…

I just installed a magnaflow overland catback exhaust tonight. Install was easy enough for those wondering. The sound is about right for me (definitely go Corsa if you want fierce growl, I wanted a blend with some more grunt over OE).

It sounds great on start up and below ~10psi, but when I get on it and the turbos spool up over about 10psi I can hear a prominent “woosh” air flow kind of sound coming from the exhaust. Specifically, and I can’t be 100% sure, but if I had to pin it down it sounds very much like the muffler itself.

I’ve listened to the magnaflow sound clips posted here andon YouTube but I can’t hear it elsewhere.

I personally think it detracts significantly from what is otherwise exactly what I’m looking for.

Considering I haven’t heard it anywhere else I am hoping that I’ve done something incorrect that I can fix. I’d like to keep it. The clearance is outstanding and a huge upgrade all on its own.

For reference I am using their most aggressive set up with just the little muffler cap.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Daaaammmmnnnnn!!!!
Yup- that’s it, that right there is THE noise

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Any thoughts on this?

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You hearing the turbo from inside the cab? Catback exhaust, probably exhibits more sound inside.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You hearing the turbo from inside the cab? Catback exhaust, probably exhibits more sound inside.
Thanks! I’ve never done a CBE on a turbo vehicle before so it could be. It’s just that I’m hearing it all the way back from the interior tailgate area. Is that what you would expect? I would have thought I’d hear turbos up front…

I haven’t heard a sound like that on any of the audio clips for this unit. I rechecked my bolt up this morning. Nothing to see…

Gramd

Big Bend
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 66 Chevy ll
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yea just sounds like boosty noises 🤤

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it a tinny sounding air flow whoosh coming from the back?! I have a tinny loudish whooshing sound coming from the tailgate area at wot. Just below wot and it's not there. Just a good lower sonic sorta v6 "rumble"... If a v6 had a rumble.... You know what I mean ... Lol

Mine is a magnaflow muffler I picked up that I made into an axle back myself.

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Is it a tinny sounding air flow whoosh coming from the back?! I have a tinny loudish whooshing sound coming from the tailgate area at wot. Just below wot and it's not there. Just a good lower sonic sorta v6 "rumble"... If a v6 had a rumble.... You know what I mean ... Lol

Mine is a magnaflow muffler I picked up that I made into an axle back myself.

Yup. That’s a pretty good summary of the sound. If you throw on your PSI gauge you will probably notice what I did that when boost gets up around 10psi + it starts. At WOT ya for sure I hear it. And to your point about the “metal” sound I actually thought perhaps I was hearing a metal sound resonating from the factory heat shield reverberated through the tailgate floor to the cabin (I’m still considering this as a possibility).

in a few mins I’m going to try rotating the muffler a little to try to move it a bit further from the heat shield below deck and then test.

If you have already solved it please definitely let me know.

Perhaps Magnaflow will chime in here? Is there a rep on this board? I will be calling them first thing Monday morning if I haven’t sorted it out.

tdiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F150, 2012 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's probably the Turbo Westgate starting to open and releasing some of the backpressure from before the turbine into the exhaust.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's probably the Turbo Westgate starting to open and releasing some of the backpressure from before the turbine into the exhaust.
Interesting… couple questions- so wouldn’t I hear that with the stock exhaust? Also, would a BOV help with that or is that in the wrong point in the line to effect this?

The other thing I’d add is that once this sound starts it just keeps going all the way through the pull. Until the psi drops off.

tdiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F150, 2012 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting… couple questions- so wouldn’t I hear that with the stock exhaust? Also, would a BOV help with that or is that in the wrong point in the line to effect this?
You might hear it with the stock exhaust or you might not. Just depends on how the stock exhaust is tuned vs how your aftermarket is. My track car can vent the wastegate to atmosphere or into the exhaust since it's not Carb legal. You can definitely hear it when it opens.

And no, BOV is the intake or compressor side of the turbo. Wastegate is the exhaust or turbine side of the turbo. BOV controls compressor surge when the Throttle body closes. Wastegate controls exhaust backpressure and overboost.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The other thing I’d add is that once this sound starts it just keeps going all the way through the pull. Until the psi drops off.
BOV releases pressure before the throttle body (ie when you left off the gas that pressure needs to be released before going through the engine).. Bypass/blow off valves are on the compressor/intake side and route that excess air back to the intake or into the atmosphere. The wastegate controls the amount of usable air pressure and purges the excess. It is on the turbine/exhaust side and is usually rerouted back into the exhaust. Atmospheric wastegates are loud and unfiltered. While they (BOV/Wastegate) sound similar in nature, they have very different roles. Understanding the basics of how a turbo system works will make it make all make more sense to you.

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
BOV releases pressure before the throttle body (ie when you left off the gas that pressure needs to be released before going through the engine).. Bypass/blow off valves are on the compressor/intake side and route that excess air back to the intake or into the atmosphere. The wastegate controls the amount of usable air pressure and purges the excess. It is on the turbine/exhaust side and is usually rerouted back into the exhaust. Atmospheric wastegates are loud and unfiltered. While they (BOV/Wastegate) sound similar in nature, they have very different roles. Understanding the basics of how a turbo system works will make it make all make more sense to you.
Excellent- that is super helpful. Thank you! It makes sense. So is it possible that the more free flowing system could be promoting the wastegate dump creating the “woooosh” sound? Or is that not how the relationship works between the psi/usable pressure/responsibility of the wastegate function?

Many thanks for the patience and education! Hopefully others will learn something as well.

I’ve only modified Toyotas (FJ and Tundra- both for serious off-road and hunting duties). So my experience with this little turbo 6 has been a new learning opportunity.

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Another option I will try is adding the J-pipe with the minimalist flat cap. Perhaps that could help if it is in fact the wastgates?

I will report results.

The other thing that would be incredibly helpful is if anyone else who has installed the Magnaflow Overland can comment. Have any of you had this experience? Perhaps it’s just normal for the unit.
Sponsored