First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F150, 2012 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So is it possible that the more free flowing system could be promoting the wastegate dump creating the “woooosh” sound?
Yes, exactly! The new exhaust is not removing the sound from the wastegate like the stock exhaust did.
Sponsored

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is me reading this thread

0d984c3adb7bce30a7eb4904c6c16b5f_w200.gif

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is me reading this thread

Ford Bronco Woosh Air sound from Magnaflow Overland 0d984c3adb7bce30a7eb4904c6c16b5f_w200
Maybe you should stop reading it then. Just trying to understand if it’s an install problem, a leak at one of the couplings, a muffler configuration issue, or just the way that it is…

There are numerous sound clips on the internet of this system. None of them sound like this. I’ve got an awful lot of hours working on trucks and I am not asking this question for the fun of it.

I’m trying to learn something about exhausts on turbos. I have no experience with them… maybe I’ll end up back to stock.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup. That’s a pretty good summary of the sound. If you throw on your PSI gauge you will probably notice what I did that when boost gets up around 10psi + it starts. At WOT ya for sure I hear it. And to your point about the “metal” sound I actually thought perhaps I was hearing a metal sound resonating from the factory heat shield reverberated through the tailgate floor to the cabin (I’m still considering this as a possibility).

in a few mins I’m going to try rotating the muffler a little to try to move it a bit further from the heat shield below deck and then test.

If you have already solved it please definitely let me know.

Perhaps Magnaflow will chime in here? Is there a rep on this board? I will be calling them first thing Monday morning if I haven’t sorted it out.
I was thinking heatshield as well. I've tucked mine up pretty tight and have it angled for even more clearance. It's pretty close.

Also, the sound was 100 percent not there before. I have a hard time myself buying that it's a wastegate noise that with less restrictions made it to the back.... Considering the cats are still there.... And I put a resonator inline as well that should along with the cats, disrupt and catch any blowoff resonance!

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was thinking heatshield as well. I've tucked mine up pretty tight and have it angled for even more clearance. It's pretty close.

Also, the sound was 100 percent not there before. I have a hard time myself buying that it's a wastegate noise that with less restrictions made it to the back.... Considering the cats are still there.... And I put a resonator inline as well that should along with the cats, disrupt and catch any blowoff resonance!
Thank you.

Im heading out on a test drive now. See what I come up with. Ya- it wasn’t there before. At all.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ok there’s definitely heat shield involvement.

I was able to create some rigidity in it by crimping and bending edges. It changed the resonance interference from about 10psi up to a much more acceptable 15-17psi winding gears out at WOT. it also changed the dynamics of the sound itself.

I’m going to look at adding some sort of heat retardant sound deadening on top of the heat shield. I’ll report back again.

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've got a flowmaster outlawfx and I can hear the intake at WOT now. I don't hear anything from the back but this exhaust is loud so it might be masking it. I can't wait to hear how the new Injen sounds when it comes in.

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thought I'd update and close this thread from my end at least.

So after a fair amount of messin around with the heat shield I was ultimately able to contain the vibrations coming from the back. This is NOT the sound of the turbos, that is still there and, yes, it sounds more pronounced than stock and not in a negative way.

What I found unexpectedly, however, was that there was a persistent rattle coming from the middle of the Bronco's underbelly, which was hard to really pin down until I was under it searching. The contributing rattle was only occurring at around 2k rpms and lingered until around 1k. It was particularly noticeable at idle (because you're sitting there with the windows open) but was definitely also occurring on hard acceleration and adding to the heat shield rattle.

After chasing that around for a while I figured out that what was happening was that the hanger bracket nearest to the cat was not seated properly. I pulled the whole section and it appeared that the hanger post itself was a bit off from the factory post angle. This wouldn't seem like it would impact anything, however, the angle up on the Overland was just enough to prevent the knob on the end of the hanger post from seating correctly.

It was instead hitting the box of the frame behind the small grommet retention bracket. I would slowly work itself loose during the course of any drive and start to rattle rapidly against the frame.

After I pulled the grommet housing and worked the post through the factory hole in the frame it shut up completely and hasn't been an issue since.

I wanted to give this follow up some time before posting so I could address this question, make sure it was resolved, and offer the following hot take on this exhaust in general:

It is a very good setup. I did end up pulling off the cap entirely on the muffler, leaving it wide open and it is nice and throaty like that. Not quite the Corsa level of growl (based only on videos I've never heard the Corsa in IRL). I will probably weld up an extension bend to pull those back end fumes out from under the tailgate, but I want to keep it modular.

Even as I have it set up now, it is entirely NOT obnoxious at highway speeds, but sounds BEASTY on cold start and on WOT.

I really like the idea though that I can just swap in the other setups whenever I want. I do a lot of elk hunting and back country scouting/overlanding and although it sounds like a nasty beast daily there is a TON of upside for my use case to be able to knock that shit off whenever I want to.

I can wholeheartedly reccomend the Overland exhaust. It's highly modular, you can tailor fit it to exactly what you want (Beast mode to ZERO), and its ultra high tucked (just be aware that it may require you to bend that paper-thin heat shield at the edges because it's sitting so damn close to it- really not a big deal at all).
Sponsored