Sponsored

Best practices for parking with doors off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hey all - for those who have owned Jeeps or own a Bronco - have you or do you leave your vehicle parked with the doors off?

Example - stop at a gas station or Home Depot for something quick. Any issues with leaving the car unattended while doors are off? Obviously do not leave anything valuable in sight but curious on any experiences you've had with people messing with your ride? Thanks
Sponsored

patientB

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
^this

And for softops, I've typically parked with the doors unlocked, including (or especially) in big cities. Would rather have someone rooting around and taking a stray quarter or tire gauge than deal with a slashed roof.

Wickedbronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you have nothing of value inside, there is nothing to stealā€¦ my Jeep has its doors off most of the summer. Never had an issue.

If you are worried about someone stealing the vehicle, doors on or off wonā€™t stop themā€¦.

OP
OP
mdk77

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you have nothing of value inside, there is nothing to stealā€¦ my Jeep has its doors off most of the summer. Never had an issue.

If you are worried about someone stealing the vehicle, doors on or off wonā€™t stop themā€¦.
I was thinking more like someone would vandalize the inside. Slash the seats, etc. I was considering one of the security cameras post-delivery but not sure if it's worth the 1,000 all in cost.

Sponsored

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Treat it the same way you would with a soft top. Unlocked and nothing in it.

Lock your glove box and a thief will assume thereā€™s something of value inside.
Uhhhh.....But if you leave the glove box unlocked, wouldn't the would be thief just open it to see? At least a locked door gives a bit more of a deterrent even if it creates curiosity.

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Mini, 99 4Runner, 07 FJ Cruiser, 16 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Uhhhh.....But if you leave the glove box unlocked, wouldn't the would be thief just open it to see? At least a locked door gives a bit more of a deterrent even if it creates curiosity.
Thatā€™s why you leave nothing inside. After having a soft top cut, you learn itā€™s easier just to let them inside. Theyā€™ll find nothing and move on.

If you want secure storage you need to step up to some version of a metal lock box. Iā€™m sure Tuffy will have some options if they donā€™t already.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I keep valuable stuff in my open Tacoma bed from time to time unattended and I use a long snake lock for those occasions (link below). Very handy because you have plenty of length to run it through multiple items... also nice if you camp and leave stuff at the camp site from time to time. As anything else, probably not going to stop somebody that REALLY wants to steal something, but they would have to try pretty hard and have some really specific tools on hand to do so.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-...s=hi&sprefix=snake+lock+20+ft,tools,74&sr=1-2

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As @bodean mentioned, the thief will assume there is something valuable in the glove box and will simply pry it open, breaking the lock. Glove box lock is really only good for keeping items safe from a valet, not a thief with intent.

Reactions: Cat

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Mini, 99 4Runner, 07 FJ Cruiser, 16 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was thinking more like someone would vandalize the inside. Slash the seats, etc. I was considering one of the security cameras post-delivery but not sure if it's worth the 1,000 all in cost.
Unfortunately in this day and age, petty theft isnā€™t really pursued. All a camera is going to do is give you the opportunity to watch your shit get stolen.

It wonā€™t increase your odds of having them returned.

And vandalism for the sake of vandalism is pretty rare. Theyā€™re generally just looking for a means to get drugs.

Sponsored

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is inevitable that someone somewhere will rummage through it. Part of the ownership experience. Way back in the early 80's, we would routinely return to an open glovebox on my Dad's CJ-5. Expect it, live with it, and it won't be a problem.

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As @bodean mentioned, the thief will assume there is something valuable in the glove box and will simply pry it open, breaking the lock. Glove box lock is really only good for keeping items safe from a valet, not a thief with intent.
Nothing will stop a thief with intent. I think the moral of the story is don't leave anything in a vehicle, OPEN OR NOT, that would give a thief reason or even raise their curiosity. I'm sure we all have stolen property stories (I know I do)...use common sense when leaving your open vehicle in a public area.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

in general, don't leave stuff visible in your car. everything is out of sight. if people see something, they'll be tempted to grab it. if there's nothing to see, that means nothing to grab. and what's hidden away shouldn't be valuable. nothing that you need or care about. in my cars i only leave masks, rags/cloths and tissues. thats it. everything else comes with me.

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My friends who are police officers all say vehicle breaks are usually crimes of opportunity, theyā€™ll move quickly shaking doors and rummage quick through consoles and glove boxes of unlocked vehicles then on to the next one. Leaving it unlocked (or doors off) definitely might deter a slice to the soft top, but one of my buddies had his jeep sliced with the doors unlocked in the police department garage, between that and the piles of glass Iā€™ve seen line a street after a night of rummaging sometimes thereā€™s nothing you can do, best bet is to not leave any sign thereā€™s anything worth stealing inside to begin with
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.