Sponsored

Best practices for parking with doors off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoogieMan1

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My friends who are police officers all say vehicle breaks are usually crimes of opportunity, they’ll move quickly shaking doors and rummage quick through consoles and glove boxes of unlocked vehicles then on to the next one. Leaving it unlocked (or doors off) definitely might deter a slice to the soft top, but one of my buddies had his jeep sliced with the doors unlocked in the police department garage, between that and the piles of glass I’ve seen line a street after a night of rummaging sometimes there’s nothing you can do, best bet is to not leave any sign there’s anything worth stealing inside to begin with
Police dept garage? Sounds like a hate-crime against police.
Sponsored

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In the past warmer months, i have left the doors and top off numerous times while getting lunch or stopping at lowes. People stopped and looked and i walked up to someone taking a picture sitting in the driver seat, which didn’t bother me, but nobody really messed with anything, I have napkins in the glove box. If these are stolen, someone needed them more than i did lol.

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Police dept garage? Sounds like a hate-crime against police.
I should’ve been more specific, it’s a common garage for the public safety building that has PD/FD HQs, city jail, and municipal court. It’s unsecured except for the top floors where the cruisers are. He is a firefighter, it was honestly probably some random angry skell who just got out of lockup or lost his case. But still wild he did it knowing how many cops are in and out of there

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unfortunately in this day and age, petty theft isn’t really pursued. All a camera is going to do is give you the opportunity to watch your shit get stolen.
That was an incredibly sobering truth right there....

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey all - for those who have owned Jeeps or own a Bronco - have you or do you leave your vehicle parked with the doors off?

Example - stop at a gas station or Home Depot for something quick. Any issues with leaving the car unattended while doors are off? Obviously do not leave anything valuable in sight but curious on any experiences you've had with people messing with your ride? Thanks
At least no doors off today with the forecast of a large snow storm coming to the Chicagoland area, but you're right with your concerns, that you'll get some knucklehead throwing something inside! That's my main concern, too!

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In the past warmer months, i have left the doors and top off numerous times while getting lunch or stopping at lowes. People stopped and looked and i walked up to someone taking a picture sitting in the driver seat, which didn’t bother me, but nobody really messed with anything, I have napkins in the glove box. If these are stolen, someone needed them more than i did lol.
Someone sitting in the seat taking a picture would bother me a lot and would result in them getting yelled at. Some little kid climbing in there might be one thing, but any adult should know better. Reminds me of a couple years ago when buddy in Scottsdale came back to find a teenager sitting in his Ferrari convertible taking a selfie, the balls on some people…. He was not happy.

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We went without the top, at most a Bimini, and often doors off on our Wrangler in Phoenix from 2005-13 with zero issues. Just don’t leave valuables inside.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was thinking more like someone would vandalize the inside. Slash the seats, etc. I was considering one of the security cameras post-delivery but not sure if it's worth the 1,000 all in cost.
I’m considering not re-installing my dash camera as it could be a reason to break-into the vehicle.

To the comment above regarding locking the glove box - I lock my glove box and my centre console. I’m not sure about where you live but where I live you need to keep your vehicle insurance paperwork in the vehicle which has personal information on it. I don’t want to leave that out in the open for folks.

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i walked up to someone taking a picture sitting in the driver seat,
Anyone planning to leave doors off needs to expect and accept this. It's the cool new ride and people will want selfies with it. I've had people sit on my bikes for pictures. I've known guys that had it happen and the bike was knocked over.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I accidentally left my Volvo S60R unlocked one night, they got my old GPS, but nothing else of value, but they did fowl up my interior rummaging through it, tearing the leather and breaking the lid to the console. People are shit.

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone planning to leave doors off needs to expect and accept this. It's the cool new ride and people will want selfies with it. I've had people sit on my bikes for pictures. I've known guys that had it happen and the bike was knocked over.
No way I will ever accept it. If someone asked I would probably let them, but doing it without permission is out of bounds. I’ve always figured sitting on someone’s bike without permission resulted in getting your ass kicked, but I was raised to respect other people’s property.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No way I will ever accept it. If someone asked I would probably let them, but doing it without permission is out of bounds. I’ve always figured sitting on someone’s bike without permission resulted in getting your ass kicked, but I was raised to respect other people’s property.
What can you do about it unless you stand guard and catch them? Zero recourse after the fact.

John Whammer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey all - for those who have owned Jeeps or own a Bronco - have you or do you leave your vehicle parked with the doors off?

Example - stop at a gas station or Home Depot for something quick. Any issues with leaving the car unattended while doors are off? Obviously do not leave anything valuable in sight but curious on any experiences you've had with people messing with your ride? Thanks
I used to leave my CJ5 parked without doors or top in the Ovean Beach neighborhood of San Diego all the time in the early 2000’s.

Of course I didnt own doors or a top. So I had little choice.

I also never left anything in it. At all.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.