Ford Creating Families Around Mustang, Bronco

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
While it directly followed your post, please understand that I wasn't replying to anyone in particular; simply voicing frustration with a certain breed of technophobe. I'm with you 100% on technology simply for technology's sake. Touchscreens are a pet peeve of mine as well, both for audio and climate. Knobs work exceedingly well, and as a safety element, don't require one to take eyes off the road to operate. Similarly, I'm only in favor of "advancements" if it is technology that works and is an improvement in terms of performance, weight/volume conservation, cost, or safety/usability. Where it goes off the rails for me is when I encounter naysayers who don't want these things even available optionally - effectively lobbying to deprive others of things they eschew.

When I referenced "locking hubs", I meant auto locking hubs. Not having to get out and lock or unlock them isn't a major curveball in anyone's day, but it IS an incremental improvement. Some models (the ones I prefer) retain the manual capability - there is no loss of functionality. I have also heard of e-shift xfer cases failing to shift, though I've never experienced or seen one in person. I have, however, experienced worn/bent linkages on manual shifts that made selecting a range an exercise similar to a deaf man trying to find a black cat in a dark warehouse. It's mechanical - it can (and eventually will) fail. Regardless of analog or digital, knowing how to fix it while in extremis is the key. With more of our mechanicals being controlled digitally, the greater concern for remote or rough-duty operation is critical systems that require a laptop to diagnose or "reset".

Part of the problem with a great deal of our discussions here is that many of us don't represent the "average" car buyer - we're enthusiasts, some who use our machines beyond the point of breakage, regardless of how well they're built; it's just our nature to find limits. And then improve the parts that failed. As such, we are willing to make certain sacrifices in comfort and convenience that other more mainstream buyers wouldn't even consider. That said, it will be a tough job for Ford to fulfill the dreams of the small percentage of enthusiast buyers while still offering a threshold of convenience and comfort that more mainstream buyers have come to expect. Based on the percentages, my guess is that enthusiasts will be mildly disappointed in favor of the overwhelming majority of users. The enthusiasts will make it work, improve weaknesses and remove or ignore the parts and features they interpret as "fluff". The mall crawlers will have little to complain about except having difficulty retweeting a post from their infotainment system, and life will otherwise be good. :blush:
Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think he’s more implying that the Bronco, if it does get IFS, is going to get an IFS the likes we’ve never seen on a production vehicle. This was one theory from a while back that maybe Ford would say fuck your solid axle, we’ll build something even better. Idk.
And then they went and added 300 lbs of sand bags to the GT500, which I had defended before, but
totally uninterested since they didn't even "try" to lighten it. Imagine that car if they had
just equaled it's direct competitor (@ 3950lb ish).

So no, I'm calling complete 100% BS on this super duper IFS, just from past/current history.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Haha, sheep in a Jeep. I'm stealing that.

Hey, baby changing station effectively equals a gun cleaning station, so maybe wouldn't rule that out on my options list...

Sponsored

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No more perjorative than "mall crawler", which is ubiquitous. Simply a commentary on how many of them are around.

One could take that as a compliment, that there is nothing else out there that does so many things so well to the point there is simply no other choice.

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And then they went and added 300 lbs of sand bags to the GT500, which I had defended before, but
totally uninterested since they didn't even "try" to lighten it. Imagine that car if they had

So no, I'm calling complete 100% BS on this super duper IFS, just from past/current history.
I think they are planning a GT500R. A GT500 on a diet, so wieght at this point wasnt as major of a concern.

OP
OP
Bronco II

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

When your pushing 760+hp and it's going to be a track car it's going to require bigger brakes and more coolers and not to forget the DCT is heavier I think Ford did a good job keeping the weight down. The dedicated track GT500 will be a 124lbs lighter than the standard GT500.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The only complication is, a Wrangler used "as it was intended" is indistinguishable from all the others without a close inspection. Due to the perceived ratio of "as it was intended" to "mall crawler", observers are understandably skeptical. Then again, I have a Leatherman in my pocket that I've never used to fell a tree or crimp a blasting cap with, does that make me a poser?

So there's not anything wrong with a mall crawler. It's their money, and who knows - maybe someday they'll get blocked in by a delivery truck at Macy's and disconnect the swaybar to bounce over a couple curb stops so they can get out before their mocha runs periously low. Upside is, there will always be a good supply of them reasonably well equipped with low miles and no trail damage.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
When your pushing 760+hp and it's going to be a track car it's going to require bigger brakes and more coolers and not to forget the DCT is heavier I think Ford did a good job keeping the weight down. The dedicated track GT500 will be a 124lbs lighter than the standard GT500.
GT500 uses TR-9007
https://themustangsource.com/how-to...-gt500-tremec-dual-clutch-transmission-558062

which is 198 dry

file:///C:/Users/jim/Downloads/TREMEC%20TR-7007%20DCT%E2%84%A2%20%20TR-9007%20DCT%E2%84%A2.pdf

10 speed auto is actually heavier @ 235

http://www.f150hub.com/trans/10r80.html

Besides the big brakes, which you need at a porky 4225, what else is the Zl1 1LE missing at 3944?

And that would put a "carboned" out Camaro @ 3800ish ??

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bronco II

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package