Status
Not open for further replies.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not slowing down on ICE vehicles

Ford, however, has no plans to curb production of its gasoline-powered vehicles.
“We continue to see a lot of opportunity in the ICE business,” said Lawler, who called it a “strategic advantage.”

Farley noted the company would increasingly focus its ICE business around products with passionate owners, like Bronco SUVs or Mustang sports cars."

https://www.autonews.com/manufactur...m_campaign=20220203&utm_content=hero-headline
Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The predictions of death for ICE is premature, driven more by emotions than facts.
Going from less than 3% of the market to the majority is going to take a LOT longer than any of these fantasy proposals I've seen talking heads promote.

Electrics get talked about constantly, but hardly anyone is actually buying them.

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
What they say today is for today. 10 years ago they never would have said they were going to stop making sedans. Time changes and electric cars are coming. There will always be a market for ICE engines, but eventually, it'll make no sense for ford to be putting the engineering effort into it. My expectation is we will eventually see the people building ice motors at the car companies, create their own company and the auto makers buy what they need from this engine company.

Clem

Wildtrak
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How will most apartment complex's handle charging all tenants cars every night? Up the service amperage, then up the utilities to handle the extra loads? I don't buy it until I see the utility companies dumping money into the infrastructure to support 80% or greater ownership of EV's.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

How will most apartment complex's handle charging all tenants cars every night? Up the service amperage, then up the utilities to handle the extra loads? I don't buy it until I see the utility companies dumping money into the infrastructure to support 80% or greater ownership of EV's.
More truth in this statement than most know. The R&D phase just got ramped up to figure this out, its going to take a bit to get it ironed out. The last congressional bill just dumped $62 billion for the U.S. Department of Energy for this sole purpose.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Going from less than 3% of the market to the majority is going to take a LOT longer than any of these fantasy proposals I've seen talking heads promote.

Electrics get talked about constantly, but hardly anyone is actually buying them.
Biden reintroduced significant increases in CAFE std's, you are going to get at min hybrids on everything. Obama had set it at 51mpg (is 38 for 2022). Trump put it back to a still significant increase at 44. Biden upped it back to 55 mpg by 2026 (a 45% increase in only 3 years).

More truth in this statement than most know. The R&D phase just got ramped up to figure this out, its going to take a bit to get it ironed out. The last congressional bill just dumped $62 billion for the U.S. Department of Energy for this sole purpose.
Well, they have about 3 years. I don't see how you go from 38 to 55 CAFE by then without massive increases in electrics, at least most using hybrids on electric for commutes. Europe just re-defined the test for mpg std's on hybrids, realizing most use the ICE, much more than their previous std was set up for. So that doesn't help either (assuming std gets adopted here too)

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

From Automotive News article:
Not slowing down on ICE vehicles
  • Ford, however, has no plans to curb production of its gasoline-powered vehicles.
  • “We continue to see a lot of opportunity in the ICE business,” said Lawler, who called it a “strategic advantage.”
  • Farley noted the company would increasingly focus its ICE business around products with passionate owners, like Bronco SUVs or Mustang sports cars.

From Autoevolution article:
Ford CEO Jim Farley Confirms ICE Future for the Bronco and Mustang
7 Feb 2022, 17:04 UTC ·
by Mircea Panait author

As you’re well aware, Ford of Europe will switch to a fully-electric lineup in 2030. The Blue Oval isn’t willing to make this bet in the United States, though. What’s more, the automaker’s ICE business will be increasingly focused around iconic products such as the Bronco and Mustang lines.

Speaking to Automotive News, chief financial officer John Lawler made it crystal clear that “we continue to see a lot of opportunity in the internal combustion engine business.” Lawler even described it as a “strategic advantage” as automakers large and small pour billions into EV R&D.

Turning out attention back to the Bronco and Mustang, electrification certainly is right around the corner. In the Bronco’s case, the Blue Oval has indirectly confirmed a PHEV via the EV Coaching feature we’ve covered in 2020.

As for the pony car (Mustang), an engineer let it slip that hybrid power is on the table for the 2.3-liter EcoBoost and the 5.0-liter Coyote engines.

Previously expected to arrive for the 2023 model year, the S650 is now rumored as a 2024 model. Whatever the future may hold for the Mustang, it’s also important to note that Ford has patented a hybrid V8 with two electric motors. The Lithium Concept from 2019 further paves the way for a fully-electric Mustang that’s certain to alienate quite a few enthusiasts.

Last edited:

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Am I reading that right? Hybrid 5.0 Coyote?

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Am I reading that right? Hybrid 5.0 Coyote?
I don’t think it’s going to be a release item. The S650 is getting a 500 horsepower gen 4 5.0 with some revised design including dual throttle bodies.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's taking them four thousand years to deliver the first one, I'll be long dead before I consider buying another one.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.