JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would think the option might be to construct a floor to ceiling fiberglass bulkhead that attaches behind the B pillar, and then a corresponding roof cap. Leaving the current roll bar in tact. A bolt on solution would be preferred to a lot of custom metal work.
Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What am I missing here? Everything is welded together. How is a sawzall not come into play here? You're dealer with boron steel, HSLA steel and bake hardened steel in the horizontal bar, rear down tube and cross reinforcements. No bolting here, it's going to be cut and weld and there is no procedure to weld on boron without screwing it up.

1648137791379.png
Yes doubling down on this. It is definitely not going to be a project for the feint of heart. That bar is mighty strong. I mean sideways into a telephone pole and it doesn’t budge strong. Changing it will be a pain in the ass for sure. Having seen them doing repairs during development it’s not easy peasy and nowhere close to bolt-on. I hope BDS and their fab shop has good pointers but don’t be too surprised if it’s anything like every other SEMA build and built for appearances not for real function

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Very interested to see what you come up with. Looks like drilling out some hard spot welds will be needed. I just drilled into my B pillar and found that to be pretty hard steel.

I have my airbag covers off right now if you want any pics.
I drilled into my A Pillar and it was hard steel, too. Took me over an hr with a carbide bit.

MileHighWT

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Oxford White Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Did you even watch 10 seconds of the build videos BDS put out on the half cab SEMA truck?

The roll bar does not 'bolt on'. It's welded to the rest of the frame. BDS made theirs happen after many hours with a grinder.

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree to make it in2 parts - a bulkhead and a separate roof top that will attach to the bulk head and go around the rollbars, even if it has to be a soft material type of connection to mold around the rollbar.

Sponsored

skhubbard93

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, '01 Z8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have serious concerns about this. The roll bar is not merely for protection and airbag containment/positioning. It is an integral part of the vehicle's bending and torsional strength. There's a reason that Ford is in some cases not allowing damaged-in-shipment Broncos with damage to the roll bars to be delivered.

Here's a story of what can happen when you start to mess with a vehicle's structural integrity.

Once upon a time, Dinan came out with multiple tuning upgrades for the Z8. One or two were just airflow, but a third involved cutting away a bit of the aluminum box frame that makes up the transmission tunnel. That tunnel also happened to be a critical part of the (convertible) vehicle's strength and rigidity, so when one of those vehicles went in for an annual inspection, the dealership promptly declared it "totaled" (not sure if that ever got back to DMV or not). Yeah. $130k vehicles in 2000-year dollars. There were accusations and lawsuits and all kinds of bad will all around. Owners were livid. BMW was resolute. Dinan was persona non grata.​
Most importantly to the situation, it was not possible to undo/repair the changes made without massive expense (more than the cars were worth) because it all involved structural aluminum panels that had been carefully analyzed in computer simulations and crash tests, and it would have required a complete reanalysis to determine whether any welded solution would be adequate. So BMW would not even consider declaring the modified vehicles fit-for-service, and voided the warranties. Dinan fought with BMW, and at one point declared that they would provide equivalent warranties, which were... not well-received to say the least.​
All this is just to urge you to be careful about what you don't know if you're messing around with your Bronco's structure.

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like where you're going. Will be following with interest.

For what it's worth, my '71 doesn't have side curtain air bags :)

@BigMeatsBronco have you taken a close look at what BDS did to achieve their half cab?
So your '70 has side air bags?

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have serious concerns about this. The roll bar is not merely for protection and airbag containment/positioning. It is an integral part of the vehicle's bending and torsional strength. There's a reason that Ford is in some cases not allowing damaged-in-shipment Broncos with damage to the roll bars to be delivered.

Here's a story of what can happen when you start to mess with a vehicle's structural integrity.

Once upon a time, Dinan came out with multiple tuning upgrades for the Z8. One or two were just airflow, but a third involved cutting away a bit of the aluminum box frame that makes up the transmission tunnel. That tunnel also happened to be a critical part of the (convertible) vehicle's strength and rigidity, so when one of those vehicles went in for an annual inspection, the dealership promptly declared it "totaled" (not sure if that ever got back to DMV or not). Yeah. $130k vehicles in 2000-year dollars. There were accusations and lawsuits and all kinds of bad will all around. Owners were livid. BMW was resolute. Dinan was persona non grata.​
Most importantly to the situation, it was not possible to undo/repair the changes made without massive expense (more than the cars were worth) because it all involved structural aluminum panels that had been carefully analyzed in computer simulations and crash tests, and it would have required a complete reanalysis to determine whether any welded solution would be adequate. So BMW would not even consider declaring the modified vehicles fit-for-service, and voided the warranties. Dinan fought with BMW, and at one point declared that they would provide equivalent warranties, which were... not well-received to say the least.​
All this is just to urge you to be careful about what you don't know if you're messing around with your Bronco's structure.
Not really. Remember, the Bronco is a body on frame construction. The chassis/frame provides the strength and overall rigidity. The roll bar does provide structure to the body shell. The body to frame mount is cushioned by rubber body mounts to isolate the body from the frame.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think this is a little more applicable to a unibody constructed vehicle

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Did you even watch 10 seconds of the build videos BDS put out on the half cab SEMA truck?

The roll bar does not 'bolt on'. It's welded to the rest of the frame. BDS made theirs happen after many hours with a grinder.
Yes this video was helpful, but I was hoping for a bolt on solution...oh well here comes the Sawzall!

Sponsored

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not really. Remember, the Bronco is a body on frame construction. The chassis/frame provides the strength and overall rigidity. The roll bar does provide structure to the body shell. The body to frame mount is cushioned by rubber body mounts to isolate the body from the frame.
The body itself is designed specifically to be suitable for a crash test. Hence why they use boron steel in all the pillars roll bar. Including the windshield and rear cross bar support. Yes the body is isolated from the frame but it’s built to be able to take impacts completely by itself and are made to be structurally sound. There are plenty of tests done against just bodies themselves to prove out they will perform as expected in the event of a crash (Door and roof crushing, pole impacts, etc)

It’s legally impossible to get any repairs to those areas certified as meeting the standards set by the original build. Hence why any repairs to structural components create a salvage title for the vehicle.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The body itself is designed specifically to be suitable for a crash test. Hence why they use boron steel in all the pillars roll bar. Including the windshield and rear cross bar support. Yes the body is isolated from the frame but it’s built to be able to take impacts completely by itself and are made to be structurally sound. There are plenty of tests done against just bodies themselves to prove out they will perform as expected in the event of a crash (Door and roof crushing, pole impacts, etc)

It’s legally impossible to get any repairs to those areas certified as meeting the standards set by the original build. Hence why any repairs to structural components create a salvage title for the vehicle.
If it is "legally" impossible to repair, how/why is Ford selling replacement parts for the cage?

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it is "legally" impossible to repair, how/why is Ford selling replacement parts for the cage?
Because you can still repair totaled vehicles and give them a salvage and rebuilt title as I said. However Ford no longer can cover you in the event of an accident that would otherwise have held them liable, even if the part that failed causing the lawsuit was unrelated to the original repair. Legally Ford holds no liability once a structural safety component has been modified, it is game over for any coverage. If that wasn’t clearly obvious from the start.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks. That is good information. I don't know that I'll ever need mine to be certified in any fashion. I do intend on creating an internal roll cage (on mine) at some point so that should alleviate some of the concerns for structural strength.
Sponsored