Sponsored

3rd/5th Door

How do you want to see the rear door(s) of the Bronco operate?

• OTHER -- none of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So basically it will copy the Wrangler?
More like a copy of the Defender. Which I think would be a rather unpopular option because of its roof-removability implications.

land-rover-defender-2020.jpg

19_FRD_ECO_000040_SES_V3.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, for starters, it would look idiotic to have a big door/window sticking up back there with the roof completely removed, not to mention it would probably have to be quite stout or the wind would warp it -- and I doubt Ford intends for people to have to remove the rear door if they want to remove the roof, so that suggests enough of the roof stays in place for that not to be a problem for the door -- ie the roof isn't really removable.

Alternatively you're talking about a Wrangler clone swinging door, and not the more popular tailgate. This might be paired with either a Wrangler clone flip up window, or some kind of FSB style retractable window. One of these alternatives could mean the roof is entirely removable, but it would be very different than what Ford has previously called a "swinggate."

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Alternatively you're talking about a Wrangler clone swinging door, and not the more popular tailgate. This might be paired with either a Wrangler clone flip up window, or some kind of FSB style retractable window. One of these alternatives could mean the roof is entirely removable, but it would be very different than what Ford has previously called a "swinggate."
I literally just said that.

It would work, but it would be internally inconsistent for Ford, and not following the favored theme of retro design.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I guess I failed to illustrate that an FSB-style gate attached at the driver's side as a swing-gate would be possible absent a window frame. I'll try to include pictures next time.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess I failed to illustrate that an FSB-style gate attached at the driver's side as a swing-gate would be possible absent a window frame. I'll try to include pictures next time.
And it would likely just need to use the same type of setup as a frameless driver window for a convertible, where when you touch the handle the window drops a hair to clear the top seal, then the door can open.

Hopefully, they don't make the same stupid mistake they did on the 80+ FSB, with the rear window not retracting fully. God that was a stupid decision.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am not putting much stock into this. With how tight Ford is with info I doubt that UAW would really leak something meaningful about the Bronco. Either swing gate is not the full story or it’s not a swing gate at all. That’s just me, but I consider the tailgate area to be super important for functional purposes.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am not putting much stock into this. With how tight Ford is with info I doubt that UAW would really leak something meaningful about the Bronco. Either swing gate is not the full story or it’s not a swing gate at all. That’s just me, but I consider the tailgate area to be super important for functional purposes.
you mean, like the UAW leaking that Bronco is even in the works a couple of years ago?

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They did go out of their way to differentiate what the Bronco was getting, "swinggate", from what the Ranger was getting, "Tailgates & Fenders".

Notably, those tailgates and fenders are aluminum on the Ranger.