Sponsored

3rd/5th Door

How do you want to see the rear door(s) of the Bronco operate?

• OTHER -- none of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The "removable" top, without a removable/power back window is almost pointless.
No good answer on this. BII/EB was/is a PIA every time you open TG. Power rear window is
kind of annoying just to open TG (although a lot of times, i just need to power down window and that
is enough to get many things in and out of rear area). TG and flip up window is annoying if you need
to haul things that stick out window for any length of time or highway speeds.
Full flip up door/window is the worst option, unless you are building literally a grocery getter/people mover.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The "removable" top, without a removable/power back window is almost pointless. . .
There has been some early speculation that a "removable" top meant small panels that popped out like an old t-top or the front of the Wrangler.

I think there would be a lot of disappointed people if that was all that came off.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't remember that being the case with my FSBs, but I can tell you with certainty that it will draw exhaust into the cabin unless the driver/passenger windows are open.

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 4Runner is a bit of an odd combo, liftgate with a retractable window.

With all the dirt that gets whipped up on the back of most SUVs, vans and wagons I don't see myself wanting that open very often.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 4Runner is a bit of an odd combo, liftgate with a retractable window.

With all the dirt that gets whipped up on the back of most SUVs, vans and wagons I don't see myself wanting that open very often.
I roll ours down any time I am driving it. Is the wife's grocery getter. 2wd.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The vertically operating tailgate seems like the most popular option so far. When it comes to the interior space behind that tailgate, what do you hope to see?

Late FSBs had carpeting in the back (even on the inside of the tailgate) and that's how most vehicles interiors are treated now. It doesn't seem particularly practical for many of the things people would like to do with it. Do you think it would be practical to "bed line" a space like that, or are you stuck with a rubber/plastic tray or mat?

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bedliner from the factory, and removable all-weather carpet backed with closed-cell insulation. Weatherproof, pull it out and clean it with a hose.

If it doesn't come that way, it will be modified like that within the first three months I own it. Not a big fan of rubber trays/mats, but they do have their uses.

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would you want the spare mounted separately, or on the door?

One of the quirks of the Bronco tailgate with a retractable window was that the handle was inside. Would you want an exterior latch/handle like the Wrangler or Defender?

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Would you want the spare mounted separately, or on the door?

One of the quirks of the Bronco tailgate with a retractable window was that the handle was inside. Would you want an exterior latch/handle like the Wrangler or Defender?
The inside handle configuration was probably required because without lowering the window prior to opening the gate, there would be an unacceptable risk of damage to the window/mechanism and/or the operator. The only way I can see an alternative is with a system that would automagically lower the window before the gate could be opened - regardless of where the handle/sensor/button was located. Otherwise, it would all but require a window frame, thus returning again to the issue of complicating a truly removable roof.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The only way I can see an alternative is with a system that would automagically lower the window before the gate could be opened - regardless of where the handle/sensor/button was located. Otherwise, it would all but require a window frame, thus returning again to the issue of complicating a truly removable roof.
I would forsee Ford designing the tailgate the same as pretty much any modern floating-window door design. On my current and last Mustangs, when the door handle gets pulled to a certain point, it moves the window down about 1cm to clear any obstacles and prevent the window from getting damaged. The Bronco rear hatch with a retractable window would probably be designed the same way. I also imagine there would either be a button on the remote or on the hatch that would allow you to fully retract the window

It wouldn't. That noise is due to the turbulence created by the side mirrors, which causes the rear windows to be in a prime location for varying high- and low-pressure areas. The rear wouldn't see any impact from this

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... noise is due to the turbulence created by the side mirrors, which causes the rear windows to be in a prime location for varying high- and low-pressure areas. The rear wouldn't see any impact from this
Ford has a significant opportunity to beat Jeep in regards to NVH -- one of the general consumers biggest complaints about the Wrangler. The Bronco being largely a new design doesn't have as many "heritage" design constraints. It will be very interesting to see how the mirrors, top and 3rd/5th door will affect wind noise compared to the competition -- potentially enough to force Jeep's hand regarding their own redesign or long held design elements.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford has a significant opportunity to beat Jeep in regards to NVH -- one of the general consumers biggest complaints about the Wrangler. The Bronco being largely a new design doesn't have as many "heritage" design constraints. It will be very interesting to see how the mirrors, top and 3rd/5th door will affect wind noise compared to the competition -- potentially enough to force Jeep's hand regarding their own redesign or long held design elements.
Right into IFS I'd guess, leaving no option for those that want the best rock crawler they can get from factory.
Sponsored