Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2.3L 2door Black Diamond, non-sas. I've been on the fence about using premium. I was originally running regular and was averaging about 18.2mpg, but this was in the winter and I was in 4A. Right around the time weather started getting nice, I started trying premium gas just to try it and started averaging 20.2 mpg, but I'm also running in 2H now. So idk if the mpg difference was mostly because of the gas or the fact that I'm sending power to only the rear now instead of all four. It's probably a combo of the two. As far as hp, I can't say that it is a noticeable difference. As someone else mentioned, you want more power, just switch to sport mode.

For anyone getting over 21mpg, do you have street tires? How are you getting such good mileage? Do I just drive too aggressively? lol I'm in a 2door non-sas so the only thing I can think of would be street tires vs the Grabbers I have, or maybe even more efficient gearing on the "less offroady" trim levels, but idk if that is true.
Sponsored

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you pinpoint why you liked the 2.3 more?

Jonah

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My Bronco is a third vehicle and only 500 miles of use in two and half months of ownership. With its limited use I have only put 91 octane into her.

Austin Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Street Scrambler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2.3 BD SAS 4 door. I think you can tell a noticeable difference with premium gas. It is 25 more HP. I only do it though if going to hit some trails or something. 17.4 mpg avg. With sport mode on, pretty damn fun.

argrin

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tacoma TRD Offroad, KTM 690 E, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Badlands 4 door auto with 2.3. I ran 93 for the first 1k and 87 for another 1k. I can't tell much difference in power with normal driving. Also don't see any difference in mileage. I am getting 20.5 for the 2100 miles I have on it mostly 35-55 with about 400 miles of 67-70. Also no problem smoking minivans off the line. I'm actually very happy with the engine.

Sponsored

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
87 here, coming up on 5000 miles, 20+ city, close to 23 hwy.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Question for those that have been able to get some miles on the 2.3 and run a few tanks of gas through.

now that the novelty is wearing off, and the national average price of gas hit another all time high today, are you still buying premium gas?
Can you tell there is a horsepower bump?

(I haven’t taken delivery yet)
I ran from TN to CA after getting my Base unit with added 265/75/16s which weigh app. 44.lbs ea.

My experience was 18 or so on regular, and 22-24+ on premium. What seemed most important, however was keeping a constant RPM at or below 1.8k. This was not super scientific. Now if I'm stuck in town, I'm generally running regular. Going on a trip, premium. The built in flow meter and software related routines are a bit iffy. I came back from a trip and the car was telling me app. 10 MPG no matter what. Still don't believe that. Now, I just clear the trip B counter every fill up.

Will try my gramp's method soon. Write down your odo settings, and gallons filled. Average that out monthly. I think my GPS speedometer app will do this as well. (IOS Speedometer).

gordonl

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328ix wagon!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2.3 Manual, badlands. I tried a test with a few tanks of premium, then a few with with regular. Driving was roughly similar. Mostly around town, with a small amount of highway driving.

According to the computer which I reset after a few tanks of premium.
17.8 mpg with premium
17.9 with regular.

I am not sure about performance. If there is a difference it is minimal. SO, I drive with regular.

BTW, I think the 2.3 has plenty of power. IO got it for the manual transmission, but have no question about its power output.

Laddyaddy19

Black Diamond
First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Evo X, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have zero regrets on the 2.3 in my 4 door squatch. My f150 has the 2.7. Both are great imo. Haven’t filled mine with premium yet , 3000 miles in. If gas gets below $3 I’ll give it a try just to see.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m surprised how many people
Running regular. I’ve never put anything but 93 in any of my turbocharged vehicles besides E85 if they were tuned for it. I prefer max performance and peace of mind over a few $$.

Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m surprised how many people
Running regular. I’ve never put anything but 93 in any of my turbocharged vehicles besides E85 if they were tuned for it. I prefer max performance and peace of mind over a few $$.
I was thinking the same. I've only ever ran 93 octane in mine and just like knowing that I'm giving it the best fuel I can. Same reason I also change out oil at 5k miles max to know that it's being lubricated the best it can without losing too much viscosity.

thebladerunnr

Base
First Name
Blade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Question for those that have been able to get some miles on the 2.3 and run a few tanks of gas through.

now that the novelty is wearing off, and the national average price of gas hit another all time high today, are you still buying premium gas?
Can you tell there is a horsepower bump?

(I haven’t taken delivery yet)
I have about 1500 miles on my base 2.3L and haven't used premium once (strictly using 87 octane) and I must say, it has plenty of power and torque. Another poster mentioned that switching to sport mode gives you that little extra muscle and I concur.

Since gas went north of $4/gallon I have been driving exclusively in Eco mode and I don't have any complaints, just don't expect to win any races...

PcDBronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 F250 Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
6500 miles on my 2.3 2dr 7mt badlands with 315 km3s. Highway i achieved 24 going 70 and in town stays about 17 to 18. Once i turned on sport mode, well it hasnt been the same since lol.

PcDBronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 F250 Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
6500 miles on my 2.3 2dr 7mt badlands with 315 km3s. Highway i achieved 24 going 70 and in town stays about 17 to 18. Once i turned on sport mode, well it hasnt been the same since lol.
Sorry this is only running premium since i got it last year
Sponsored