Sponsored

Subjective red flags I see... now that I've had some time to let the hype settle in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruffnuts

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat, 2007 mustang gt, 82 f100
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Its all relative:
"I drive a 2-door therefore 4-doors are for posers."
"I drive a manual because I'm a 'real man'"
"Anything less than an old, underpowered, gas sucking, big block V8 is for sissies"

Unless you go with angry eyes or 20" dubs I think you'll be ok.
I wouldn't exactly call a 5.0 v8 underpowered
My 5.8 na makes 465 to the crank
My 4.6 with 2 hair dryers puts 909 to the rear wheels
Modern motors putting out power with few cubes is fine, longevity will be the issue. Let's compare my 2 rangers..
2019 4 door lariat and 2001 2 door 3.0 v6
Under a full load and hammering it my 01 very rarely sees rpms in the mid 4k range, it has 188k on the odometer and gets 19mpg on a good day.

Now my 19 often sees rpms in the 5 to 6000 range when I need the power. Yes it's apples to oranges because of the power differences 270 vs 150, and forced induction, but I'm not sure the 2.3 will get to 188k without some work. My 3.0 has only needed a water pump (barely started to leak when I replaced it)

I have built some engines in my time (I built my 4.6 and 5.8) I spent a lot of time around drag racing and assist in by kids from time to time.
As far as I can tell from the f150's I've been around 5.0 vs 2.7 and 3.5.. I've seen more issues with the 2.7 and 3.5 then I do with the 5.0. I'm retired military and I can tell you there's a reason the military uses big cats and Detroit's in their military trucks and it's not price related, it's durability. The humvees get more engines replaced per mile then the lmtv, het, matv, pls, and lhs combined
Sponsored

cactus_jack

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford is definitely dropping the ball with this reveal/roll-out. It's like watching a slow motion train wreck. I still want to like the Bronco, but at this point I'm questioning their ability to execute.

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is subjective.... Hope I don't offend anyone.
Was really excited to see the release of the new Bronco. So far, Ford has not disappointed...
However, its been a few weeks and the hangover is gone....

Some real observations:
- Are 4 doors for posers? I see 4 door jeep owners riding around with the doors off taking the kids to soccer practice and PTA meetings.... Is the real Bronco a 2 door and the 4 door for posers???
The 4 door Bronco is the reason why the two door exists as a new model. A lot of people would write off a 2 door model only for numerous reasons. And being a poser? First of all, Iā€™m perhaps incorrectly assuming most of us are adults here and not in high school, where being a ā€œposerā€œ might matter. If it ever actually did. And second, if youā€™re buying a vehicle and even a shred of the reasoning is based on what someone else might think, then youā€™re doing it all wrong.

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the plus side, at least this post gave me several new people to add to the ignore list.

BRNCONOW!

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150 XLT Super Crew Short Bed 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2-Doors are for people who are A-SIngle, B-Married w/ no kids, C-Married w/ very young kids, D-Buying it for a weekender/off-road only car, or E-Screw the wife and kids this thing is for me!

4-Doors are for people who are A-Married w/ normal size kids, B-Have lots of friends who want to come along, C-Drive Uber/Lyft and want to be that cool guy with a cool car, D-Need the space for storage (Folding them seats down), E-Want some friends and figure if they have extra space...

And the "Hope I don't offend" line then going straight into offending over half the people here reminds me of Talladega Nights when Ricky Bobby keeps saying "With all due respect" and then trashes people.

Lets embrace all of our 2 door and 4 door fanatics. Lets embrace our base bros and FE Lux boys. Lets embrace our people who love to drive stick and the automagic men. We all want Broncos for different reasons, but we all want Broncos! Now can we get back to bagging on the Mall Crawlers... JK
2-Door and ā€œEā€. Have two teenage boys , 2 dogs and one wife and 2-door is for Me! Wonā€™t be rock crawling or mall crawling. Want something fun that looks cool.

Sponsored

Mcfly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford plans on 200,000 units per year with what they describe as an ā€œindustry first factory installed 35ā€ wheels with BOTH rear and front electronic lockersā€. That is the look I feel most people, including the soccer moms (and me too!), will go for.

I really hope those lockers automatically disengage above 5mph or so. I can see my kids punching these nice switches up on the dash. Lockers are not forgiving I hear.

Last edited:

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Iā€™m going to be a poser in my 2 door, I guess. It will be my DD, go on Costco runs, beach vacation, hunting, fishing, camping, taking my daughter to LAX practice and games, taking her to basketball practice and games, going to church, and going 4 wheeling on moderate trails.
What the hell do any of us care what someone else thinks?
So, if you see us rolling to practice with the top and doors off, weā€™re not worthy?
Get over it.
The idea that is the Bronco is that it can go anywhere, so go where you need to, want to, and have always wanted to.
Enjoy the Bronco, not because of what other people think but, because of how it makes you and your family smile, giggle, wet your pants when youā€™re in over your head.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Itā€™s apples and oranges as well. 5.0 Coyotes have been reliable, but they are starting to see the same issues other naturally aspirated motors are as manufacturers try and keep the naturally aspirated motors viable due to customer demand. The issue is primarily excessive oil consumption, but carbon build up and oil contamination are becoming more common. I am sure some factory techs at high volume dealers could fill us in more real time. This is a result of trying to meet EPA guidelines and improve fuel economy. These older naturally aspirated engines are also falling behind in HP. Why did Ford bring out the 7.3 Godzilla? Heavy duty applications. Less focus on EPA fuel economy, different emissions requirements and the benefits of longevity in true HD application. Would it work in a Bronco? Maybe. But it is heavy (140lb+ over the Coyote, even more Over the 2.3 or 2.7). It is physically large (similar to the Coyote, very hard to package) and no where near the fuel economy in a road driven vehicle. If you want a big v8 and 600HP, maybe build a custom rock crawler?

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The locker in my F150 disengages at 15mph and does not re-engage until you turn it off and back on under 15 (or less to engage, I donā€™t remember).

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford is definitely dropping the ball with this reveal/roll-out. It's like watching a slow motion train wreck. I still want to like the Bronco, but at this point I'm questioning their ability to execute.
Right? Let's talk about the real red flags...not someone who is having trouble giving up their 09 Explorer...no offense, OP.

Sponsored

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Iā€™m getting a bronco because : I already have a f150 platinum that can haul 5 and anything in the bed.; I loved the old broncos; I wanted something smaller with better gas mileage; I donā€™t give a damn what other people think - it is about how I feel when I climb into the drivers seat. So - to each their own - and enjoy it!

Andrew_EOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm still undecided if I want to be a poser in a 4 door... or a poser in a 2 door. For the money I'm looking at spending, there are a TON of options. But, I've been looking towards something with more capability. Several times a year I get caught up in a flash flood, and panic all the way to high ground. I want to get off grid and away from...everything.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is subjective.... Hope I don't offend anyone.
Was really excited to see the release of the new Bronco. So far, Ford has not disappointed...
However, its been a few weeks and the hangover is gone....

Some real observations:
- Are 4 doors for posers? I see 4 door jeep owners riding around with the doors off taking the kids to soccer practice and PTA meetings.... Is the real Bronco a 2 door and the 4 door for posers???
- Its small... I have a 2009 body on frame Ford Explorer 4x4 that has been bulletproof for 220,000 miles (except for those crappy plastic waternecks that connect the radiator hose to the block....I've had no significant repairs.) The Explorer is actually larger than the 4 door Bronco. My mountain bike fits inside the Explorer without removing the wheels. New tech in MTB is called Boost hubs. Its not as easy to remove the wheels on new tech bikes. I like being able to just toss my bike in the Explorer with no mods. Will I be able to do the same in the Bronco?
- Ground clearance is the same as the body on frame versions of the Explorer and the Bronco.
- Approach and departure are significantly better on the Bronco. Bronco is clearly the winner offroad. Which is good as I'm an overlander and motocamper.
- Turning radius on the Explorer is awesome. I can park and get in and out of anywhere....subcompact parking spots? no problem. Pissing off Prius owners is a right of pride. Bronco, will you have a good turning radius or will you make U-Turns like a corvette???
- Small engine options have me concerned. Ever heard the saying "There's no replacement for displacement" 2.7liter is the largest option??? really???
- towing - body on frame Explorer wins by nearly double at 6,000 pounds. Bronco 3,500... Hmm. why?
- Cost - I know I drive an old 2009, but its been paid for 10 years now.... New Badlands I have specd with Lux, and Sasquatch, and options will hit $60k.
- Cool factor - duh. Bronco is badass. Body on frame Explorer is dated....

I'm 99% in on committing to the Bronco and it will be awesome. Just some observations now that the hangover has warn off. Anyone else have any "concerns" with the new Bronco?
Observations on Observations....
- 4 door is totally subjective, you seem to put a lot of stock in what people think when they see it.
- 7' x 14' isn't "small", it is 3' shorter than an Escalade (and that is the 2 dr Bronco). People seem to be sprung on something the size of a F150 which isn't what the classic Bronco was.
- I'd imagine the turning radius is as good or better than an Explorer, coming from a F350 anything is better.
- Displacement = Power? What is it, 1990? This seems similar to the first expression of "4-door" equating to "soccer practice" or something. It is pointless to offer a motor that few people will buy that a manf. also has to approve through DOT,NHTSA approved/crash rated/EPA rated all for a small % of buyers
- Don't think Ford ever intended a Bronco to tow, they have enough other vehicle options for that.
- Cost is 100% in-line with a Wrangler. New F150's are clearing 60K with ease on their way to 80K.
- Bronco and Explorer aren't aimed at the same buying group so again subjective

Whatever the reasons, my guess is people that actually buy the first run Bronco will do so for very specific reasons to them. It isn't a cost effective buy, it will not have great fuel economy and it lacks practicality in a lot of areas. So much like Mustang, Corvette, Wrangler, Supra, Z, etc. buyers, Bronco buyers will have other 'personal' reasons they buy the vehicle IMHO.

mostly harmless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IMO: if you want to take the bronco off-road and put it through its paces, AWESOME! Have fun. But also, if you want to pile it full of kids, and take a ride through the country just to enjoy the sun and wind creating memories with your family while staying comfortably on the road: AWESOME!! have fun.

Valuing the vehicle for a different aspect of its build does not make the user or the vehicle less legitimate. Let's not ignore a significant subset of fellow enthusiasts just because they place more value in a different offering of the same vehicle than we do. Welcome all lovers of these awesome machines.
I agree wholeheartedly. All the talk of ā€œposersā€ gets rather tiring, and I frankly donā€™t like seeing it on this forum. Does it really take away from your enjoyment of your own vehicle to see a soccer mom driving one too? If driving one makes her happy, let her enjoy the Bronco too!

And as far as Iā€™m concerned, the non-offroad enthusiasts who buy a Bronco benefit the rest of us by partially subsidizing the manufacturing costs. If only hardcore offroaders bought Broncos, they would cost at least twice as much!

And I would certainly hate if Bronco owners end up developing a reputation for being snobs and gate-keepers who look down on those who donā€™t scratch up their paint and donā€™t always have a coating of dust on their vehicles.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Its a question, not a statement. What's your answer?

BTW, I was a jeep owner when the first 4 door jeep came out. It was not well received by the owners groups that demanded things like All jeeps having only round headlights and only 7 slats in the Jeep grill. There was some push-back on the 4 door as it transposed the image of a classic offroad rugged vehicle to a mere "grocery getter" My question is what are your thoughts in regards to the new 4 Door bronco. The original classic only had two.... (full disclosure: I've ordered two 4 door Broncos)
Why don't you try concerning yourself with what's on your own plate, instead of worrying about what others think of you. It make you look small Steve.
Also, you haven't ORDERED anything, you've merely placed a reservation(s) like the rest of us and no one gives two shits that you reserved two.
And for the record, 4 door Jeeps vastly overshadow that of the 2 door variant, so you can rest easy tonight knowing you won't be made fun of for owning a 4 door off road vehicle.
Now prop up your bitch tits and go make your wife some lunch.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.