Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman, MINI GP2, MINI Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've always been a car guy, and know which mods are useful and which are more bling that substance. The Badlands is my first truck, I'm thinking about fun 4x4 stuff for the first time, and I'm new to this whole aspect of the automotive hobby. I'm from IL, and the Great Lakes aren't know for rugged peaks and great changes in elevation, so any serious mods would see use in a 4x4 park or on a road trip.

I have had this thing for less than 3 weeks and my head is already spinning with all the parts that are available. I got the Badlands since I wanted something very capable from the factory, and am trying to take a less is more approach since I've dumped a lot of money on other cars in the past. I've been putting together a realistic list of things to do, but I've found myself going down the rabbit-hole of "Hmm, I bet that could be useful, eventually..."

Like, do I really need a winch? Do I waste my time chasing down the extended breather vents from the Everglades? A roof rack sounds like something I'd need, but if I bought a larger vehicle with a removable roof doesn't that defeat the purpose? Basically, I'm trying to fill in the gaps to cover what wasn't from the factory, and I don't want to just buy a bunch of crap I'm not sure I'd ever use. A month ago I'd never looked at a recovery board but spent 15 minutes on them last night, and didn't buy any because I realized they'd look great taking up cargo space.
So… ask yourself “what do I want to do WITH the truck?”; not “what do I want to do TO the truck?” Because the answer to the second question is an open-ended journey to an empty bank account, a garage full of uninstalled parts and a (possibly) janky-looking / performing truck.

Go with question number one. The truck is merely a tool for where you want to go, see, do and experience. Answer that question and you’ll begin to figure out what you truly need.
Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Take a couple months using the truck. Figure out what you want it to do for you. Then gear it for that.

I’m in Michigan. My truck is being modded for northern michigan trails, Michigan over landing, hunting/recovery, weekend daily in the city. Which means I don’t need 37’s, or big industrial looking bumpers. I’m not going to be climbing in Moab or running high speed sand.

My list was engine mods for low end creeping torque, useful equipment for trails and hunting. Reworking the inside for proper storage of needed equipment.

I did add some unneeded fancy accessories on the outside. But I love a mean looking truck. Plus I love my loyal group of haters on here that think it’s a mall crawler with too many lights that never leaves pavement.

Lastly don’t worry if you start going one direction and then decide you actually like doing something else better. It happens in mid build. Just adjust and keep going. Most important is to get out and use the truck. If you don’t use it, you’ll only be guessing on what you think you need.

6g is also a toxic sight. Lot of asshats on here. Don’t get discouraged by dumb and trolling comments. Stay focused on you, don’t worry about what the haters think.

My first non negotiable mods that go into every vehicle I own are defib, first aid kit, epi pen, and narcan. Last week the first aid kit was needed for a serious injury.

Yeti-X

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a young man I routinely heaped on aftermarket gizmos on my vehicles. As I got older, less and less gizmos. Now at geezer status , a trailer hitch, rain proof cover for when the top is off, and T screw handles to replace the bolts that hold the top on. This is the extent of my “ required” gizmos.
What do you consider geezer I need to know if I should start backing off what I consider necessities lol

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What do you consider geezer I need to know if I should start backing off what I consider necessities lol
Anyone over 40.

Sponsored

Brownmule247

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion, Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeti-X

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well I guess I have had quite a few anniversaries as a geezer. I should probably stop drag racing and rock crawling then. I guess my wild horses will have to go to pasture.

lni

Badlands
First Name
Lni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Dr Badsquatch, Porsche GT4, BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My advice is use it like it is for at least a few months and note every time you say "I wish I".

I thought I had to have a tailgate table before I took the time to get to know the vehicle, turns out it was a complete waste of money for me and I never use it.
It comes in handy. :D

PXL_20221118_003500221 (1).jpg

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP, I’ve run my stock Badlands at Moab on some challenging trails, and I can tell you it’s rugged enough to enjoy many advanced routes. I’ve got the stock 33s on it and was both amazed and shocked at the terrain I was getting over. The skid plates do their job, and with both lockers used when needed I crawled over some serious stuff.

Point is, you don’t necessarily “need” chassis mods for your Bronco to be capable.

My mods have been very small and done after I found a need. I put a pedal commander on (with 7MT it really improves throttle response), added some oh-crap paracord grab handles, and other creature comfort mods. Nothing has been done to the chassis or suspension.

Pics are from Seven Mile Rim, Moab.

7700A13B-FC7F-47B1-9E93-076BBA56EC4C.jpeg
CBD110F7-1C40-4C9D-A452-1541EB384E8C.jpeg
2C0D98EE-B080-4EED-9867-C2B6125F70D0.jpeg

Sponsored

PghBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've always been a car guy, and know which mods are useful and which are more bling that substance. The Badlands is my first truck, I'm thinking about fun 4x4 stuff for the first time, and I'm new to this whole aspect of the automotive hobby. I'm from IL, and the Great Lakes aren't know for rugged peaks and great changes in elevation, so any serious mods would see use in a 4x4 park or on a road trip.

I have had this thing for less than 3 weeks and my head is already spinning with all the parts that are available. I got the Badlands since I wanted something very capable from the factory, and am trying to take a less is more approach since I've dumped a lot of money on other cars in the past. I've been putting together a realistic list of things to do, but I've found myself going down the rabbit-hole of "Hmm, I bet that could be useful, eventually..."

Like, do I really need a winch? Do I waste my time chasing down the extended breather vents from the Everglades? A roof rack sounds like something I'd need, but if I bought a larger vehicle with a removable roof doesn't that defeat the purpose? Basically, I'm trying to fill in the gaps to cover what wasn't from the factory, and I don't want to just buy a bunch of crap I'm not sure I'd ever use. A month ago I'd never looked at a recovery board but spent 15 minutes on them last night, and didn't buy any because I realized they'd look great taking up cargo space.
Before I add my two cents. As you may already know, you're going to get a million of different answers. Comparing my first truck experience this quote is the best advice I read.

My advice is use it like it is for at least a few months and note every time you say "I wish I".
I thought I had to have a tailgate table before I took the time to get to know the vehicle, turns out it was a complete waste of money for me and I never use it.

I bought a 14 JKU and prior to that I eye shopped at Extremeterrain (real fast shipping) Got some extra cash for bumpers and side steps. They were worth it.... Over time Rust started setting in. One of the things I would do is research the brand and item you want and long term reviews. Rough Country have affordable parts but, they rust. However, my barricade front and smittybuilt rear rusted over the course of 3 years. I bought plently of extras, Handles (worth it) door mirror deletes (waste) A-frame mirrors (looks cool but unpractical) If you see something, just picture yourself using it and how it would help, you have a Badlands, it comes pretty well equipped (i have Black Diamond) you also sit like a half inch higher than the rest. As far as winches go, I personally was looking at the hidden winch from Rough Country but the rust.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I guess I have had quite a few anniversaries as a geezer. I should probably stop drag racing and rock crawling then. I guess my wild horses will have to go to pasture.
No one said to stop. Geezer just means you’re old enough to know you’re about to do something stupid, that you can afford to do said stupid thing, and you can fix it yourself after, then do it again next weekend.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base

As a few others suggested, don't buy unless you experienced a need for it and even then it has to be something that is a recurring need.

My suggestion is to keep it clutter free and the exterior as arrow dynamic as possible, as-in no roof racks, extra lights, etc.

Many of the add-ons that are suggested here and on youtube are simply for making money.

I've been off roading for 30 years and my most used items are a tire plug kit, air compressor, and a shovel.

I keep the tire plug kit and air compressor under my drives seat. This plug kit with the beefy aluminum handles and lube, discard the case and use a pouch of some sort.
Ford Bronco When are enough mods enough? A new truck owner discovers the 4x4 aftermarket 😵‍💫 1669324649203

I can often plug a tire without losing 1 lb air in the process and I can often plug that tire faster than it takes to changing to the spare.

I carry air compressor and it's mainly for airing back up before going back onto pavement. Some people don't air if that's you then skip this item! This size Viair fits under my seat and I've had mine since my previous vehicle. It works well and as much as I like the idea of an on-board compressor I just can't justify the cost, and space it would take up.
Ford Bronco When are enough mods enough? A new truck owner discovers the 4x4 aftermarket 😵‍💫 1669325132146

I love my shovel and it's specifically a light weight D-handle with full size blade, and handle shaft cut down so the total length is around 32"-33". Aside from the obvious digging uses this length shovel turns you into a tripod when taking a dump in the woods!
This guy explains shovels but not the tripod thing ;) !
Ford Bronco When are enough mods enough? A new truck owner discovers the 4x4 aftermarket 😵‍💫 1669325708923

Sponsored

Last edited: