Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I hope you didn't have too much damage... And better a deer than an elk...
About $7k. Replaced grill, headlight, fender, door, repair hood. I had it for a month before the deer incident. Body shop had it for a month. Just got it back yesterday.

IMG_3458 2.JPG

IMG_3707.JPG
Sponsored

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So my $0.02 after being a Bronco owner for a little over 7 months now with 2 significant off-road trips (for me) the stock Badlands is a great vehicle. I am not doing rock crawling, but did do a lot of snowy hill climbing (mentioned in a separate post) and the clearance, tires, suspension (non-SAS), and drive modes were plenty good for what I needed to do.

The only significant addition I needed to do was the running boards (IAG, and I am very happy with them).

Several minor things for convenience and I really like them:
- Center console tray (Mabett)
- Glove box divider (Mabett)
- Rubber pads for the top of the dashboard so stuff wouldn't slide around (Amazon)
- Better accessory mount point (Archetype) to hold my iPhone
- Molle panel on tailgate door (Ford) to hold a whole bunch of stuff

Things I want to add (but the longer I can go without buying them, I may never buy them at all)

- ditch lights or bumper lights or better fog lights. I don't need these normally, but driving in Montana at night during hunting season and you want all the light you can throw on the road. You can't have enough light IMHO. But again, this is for 10 days out of 365. Will never use them at home, so I have to decide how much I want to spend. And will not to a roof top mount because the Bronco is noisy enough as it is driving at highway speeds.
- Mattresses to level out the back for sleeping (these are actually on order now, I used furniture moving pads to achieve the effect on my recent trip, but think I would like the convenience of inflatables to make a flat sleeping surface)
- Better roof rack to support rooftop tent (this has fallen further down on my list after my recent trip sleeping in the back. There is enough room in my 4 door for a 60qt cooler and all my gear and still room for me to sleep, greatly negating the need to spend another $2-3K for a more hardy rooftop rack and tent system)
- Roof rack mounted sunshade - It can get hot in the Montana summer sunshine and there were places where we were where there were no trees for shade when done fishing. This would have been nice to have this summer, but again, for 10 days a year? and how much wind noise would it add? and then I can't easily remove my roof panels to go topless. So another cool toy but how practical would it be and would I use it as much as I think I would. Probably not. Maybe cheaper to just get a popup 10x10 sunshade from Costco and carry it in the back...
- Bimini sun screen for when the top is off (cool idea, but I have seen only one that has zippers so you can leave it on 100% of the time, and reach through the zipper holes to undo the latches to remove the hard top. Or I can just wear a hat and apply sunscreen...
- Some way to "hang" fly rods on the INSIDE of the roof (I do not intend to have my roof rack on in the summertime to facilitate open air driving) and also hunting rifles in the fall/winter. I don't want to take up seat space or floor space for these items if possible. Suspending them from the underside of the roof or rolls bars would be great.

At least for how I use my Bronco, it is pretty damn capable and I can "make it work" for just about anything that I plan to do, it just depends how much I am willing to pay for "built in" convenience.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
About $7k. Replaced grill, headlight, fender, door, repair hood. I had it for a month before the deer incident. Body shop had it for a month. Just got it back yesterday.
Dang! did he entirely miss your mod bumper? It doesn't look like it was touched! And if he did hit it maybe it could have mitigated the rest of the front fender damage.

Glad you are OK...

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dang! did he entirely miss your mod bumper? It doesn't look like it was touched! And if he did hit it maybe it could have mitigated the rest of the front fender damage.

Glad you are OK...
Thank you. Missed the bumper. Came from the left, I swerved right and slowed down, head and neck hit the headlight/grill/hood, body came around into the fender, hooves into the door. Rest of the vehicle untouched, drove fine, was just ugly. Lucky it stayed out of the radiator.

Mickey-moused a temp headlight. Put some ditch lights by the mirrors and corners of the bumper to get by until I could get it repaired.

Ordered some Diode Dynamic pocket lights. Gonna light up the night now. To be honest, I don't think the non-signature lights are all that bright. I don't take back-road 2-lane roads anymore. I go a ways out of the way to/from work. At least until the deer thin out.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you. Missed the bumper. Came from the left, I swerved right and slowed down, head and neck hit the headlight/grill/hood, body came around into the fender, hooves into the door. Rest of the vehicle untouched, drove fine, was just ugly. Lucky it stayed out of the radiator.

Mickey-moused a temp headlight. Put some ditch lights by the mirrors and corners of the bumper to get by until I could get it repaired.

Ordered some Diode Dynamic pocket lights. Gonna light up the night now. To be honest, I don't think the non-signature lights are all that bright. I don't take back-road 2-lane roads anymore. I go a ways out of the way to/from work. At least until the deer thin out.
Ugh, that was a sucky place to get hit. Not sure if hitting the steel bumper at the same speed would have been better or worse from a damage perspective.

I am looking at replacing my factory fogs (capable bumper) with something much brighter and a bumper mounted light bar to help avoid a similar situation.

Sponsored

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've always been a car guy, and know which mods are useful and which are more bling that substance. The Badlands is my first truck, I'm thinking about fun 4x4 stuff for the first time, and I'm new to this whole aspect of the automotive hobby. I'm from IL, and the Great Lakes aren't know for rugged peaks and great changes in elevation, so any serious mods would see use in a 4x4 park or on a road trip.

I have had this thing for less than 3 weeks and my head is already spinning with all the parts that are available. I got the Badlands since I wanted something very capable from the factory, and am trying to take a less is more approach since I've dumped a lot of money on other cars in the past. I've been putting together a realistic list of things to do, but I've found myself going down the rabbit-hole of "Hmm, I bet that could be useful, eventually..."

Like, do I really need a winch? Do I waste my time chasing down the extended breather vents from the Everglades? A roof rack sounds like something I'd need, but if I bought a larger vehicle with a removable roof doesn't that defeat the purpose? Basically, I'm trying to fill in the gaps to cover what wasn't from the factory, and I don't want to just buy a bunch of crap I'm not sure I'd ever use. A month ago I'd never looked at a recovery board but spent 15 minutes on them last night, and didn't buy any because I realized they'd look great taking up cargo space.
Have you done Off Rodeo, yet?

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ugh, that was a sucky place to get hit. Not sure if hitting the steel bumper at the same speed would have been better or worse from a damage perspective.

I am looking at replacing my factory fogs (capable bumper) with something much brighter and a bumper mounted light bar to help avoid a similar situation.
If I had the capable bumper I'd replace those fogs with Diode Elite fogs
https://www.diodedynamics.com/elite-series-fog-lamps-for-2021-2022-ford-bronco-pair.html

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It never ends.........lol. Plain and simple. I have officially spent more money on my Bronco than my 25 ft Sailboat I used to own 6 years ago. I thought too - "Hmmm, I might not need this.....Naaaa, too much......Oh.....maybe some other time......" Hahahahahaha!!! :) Just you wait and see.

Having said that here are a few of my Main mods (in order of Install and importance):
- LIGHTS - You';re gonna need these FOR SURE if you go off-Roading at night or even at dusk. Or even if you live or travel to a Mountainous area and you need to see and be safe at night (IE. lighting up the sids of the road, Foggy conditions, Rain, etc.....). I have 8 RIGID Pocket Fogs (radiance series) - 6 in the bumper (3 each side) and 2 on the top of the hood for ditch lights.
- SKID PLATE Protection - I have a Big Bend and it had NO protection underneath beyond the front bash plate and partial Diff plate. I ended up getting a complete system from RCI (front Engine skid all the way back to the Fuel Tank Skid). Very good, heavy duty stuff. Built very well with amazing tolerances. And also got a Trailing arm front link mount Skid Plate from ASFIR. I also have DV8 Front A-Arm skids and rear shock mount skids, as well as their differential plate.
- SPEAKER UPGRADE - stock system SUCKS.......yup. After a while it isn't tolerable. I Upgraded all 6 speakers ( I have the base system) and will be adding amps and a small sub soon.
- SUSPENSION - I really thought I wouldn't need this......but...after going pretty hardcore on some trails and not clearing rocks from time to time, I decided to do the lift and change some suspension parts. I added an Eibach Pro Lift Kit (springs ONLY) and also some Johnny Joint rear Trailing Arms (upper and lower), as well as a rear ICON Track Bar. RIDES way nicer and feels more stable than the stock Sasquatch. Smooths out road bumps and is also firmer with better handling n the road. It also didn't "break the bank of Scotland" so to speak :) Very reasonable upgrade.

Now the above are just the "main" ones......I have done probably 10 or so more little ones here and there.....and stillllll....goiiiiing :) hahahahahaha!!!

Enjoy the ride man! (I mean that both literally and figuratively!) :cool:

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've never modded nearly anything. And... I'm an accountant.

I'm near 5k. But I'm done now. Right? Lol

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some mods are cool looking, and may not add a bunch of function - that's your choice - and do what you want to make it 'yours' - for me, that's half the fun of modifications - making your own ride stand out from the others.

Other mods - the functional ones - are going to depend more upon what you like to do - some people like to rock climb, some like sand dunes, some like to go mudding, some like trails, some like snow.. some like camping/overlanding ... and there are mods for each individual kind of driving, and some that work for various kinds of driving.

So my advice would be to figure out what interests you the most, that could be determined by where you live as a limiting factor - or just what you like/don't like. Then, start learning what other people use as functional mods for that kind of driving... see what you think is important.

For ME - I broke my neck mountain biking 22 years ago, so I can't handle the jarring that goes along with rock crawling - plus it has no interest to me. I need to be careful with aggressive trails too... I live in Sacramento CA, so I have easy access to the Sierra Nevada mountains - home to a lot of great trails, as well as snow in the winter if I want to go up to altitude. I'm not big into camping (I haven't camped since I was 19... I'm 52 now).. but I am thinking that it would be good to have stuff to spend a night in the Bronco if needed based on the location.

With all that being said - here's what I've done so far, and what each thing is for
  • Wheels (Fuel Shok 17x9, 0 offset) - purely for aesthetics. I absolutely LOVE how they look. I was able to sell my original wheels for $800, which covered 2/3 the cost of the new wheels
  • side steps (GoRhino D6)- functional - they help my wife get in/out a bit easier, and I find I like them as well, I'm 6', but when the truck is covered in mud, it's easy to step on them and not get mud on the back of my pants. Also, they help protect against rocks and other stuff including mud, from flinging up on the sides.
  • Mudflaps (Mabett) - functional - help protect the side against rock chips and mud
  • Under hood air compressor (ARB Twin with kit from @4x4TruckLEDs.com ) - functional - you'll find that once you start hitting trails and stuff, you'll want to lower the tire pressure for better ride quality, as well as increased tire contact path for traction as well as the fact that it helps protect your tires from puncture - after which, you'll need to air back up before driving home
  • Air hose setup (Morrflate quad) - functional - deflate/inflate all 4 tires at the same time and equally.
  • Window tint - functional and aesthetic - it gets really hot here in Sacramento, ceramic tint on the windows helps with interior heat a LOT - and looks good
  • pocket lights in the modular bumper (ZROADZ) - functional and aesthetic - they look cool, but the increased light output is good for visibility when off-road
  • ditch lights (amazon brand) - functional - also good for increased light on trails
  • para cord grab handles (can't remember brand) - functional - makes it a little easier for my wife to get in
  • Speaker upgrade for the B&O system (JL Audio and Focal) - sorta functional LOL - the factory stereo was pretty pathetic - this makes my commute more enjoyable
  • Kinetic ropes (Freedom Ropes) - functional - used them a couple times this weekend to pull fellow Bronco owner out of deep snow when he got stuck - easy to use, and helpful
  • Traction boards (can't remember brand) - functional, but I've never used them - but still take them every time I go out
  • I always take my firearm with me (Glock 19, secured in a locked case) - you never know
  • Rubbermaid bin containing essentials, I take every time I go out:
    • Foldable shovel - functional in case I ever get stuck
    • mylar emergency blanket - functional - in case I get stranded somewhere and need to stay warm
    • first aid kit
    • spare portable air compressor - very slow, but in case my ARB dies, this is a backup
    • lighter, and small bundle of kindling - in case I get stranded
    • compass
    • flashlight
    • big knife
    • small knife
    • blankets
    • winter jacket
    • tie straps
    • gloves
  • OH - and I ALWAYS bring a go-pro, my drone, my camera, and a couple lenses :)
I think that's about it. Take it for what it is - again, most of my offloading is pretty mild fire trails, and a bit of snow-wheeling. I like to go solo, so I don't wanna go do anything too risky. When I'm with a group, I'm more willing to push it a little further, knowing there are others who can help in a bind.

Hope this helps :)

Ford Bronco When are enough mods enough? A new truck owner discovers the 4x4 aftermarket 😵‍💫 elwood

Sponsored

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My advice is use it like it is for at least a few months and note every time you say "I wish I".

I thought I had to have a tailgate table before I took the time to get to know the vehicle, turns out it was a complete waste of money for me and I never use it.
100% this.

I have had my 2-door Badlands since December 2021.

In those 14,000 miles I know what I actually "need":

Winch
Rear bumper
Diff cover
Shock skids
rock slider that can double as a step
roof rack

I used the wait time to save up and plan on buying a ton of stuff over the next 2 days.

A friend of mine got his Bronco and had everything added before he even picked it up. Paint-match-fender flares, winch, side-steps, front and rear bumper - he is happy with it, but I'm a bit more practical and poorer than he is.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Personally, FORSCAN has got to be the biggest bang for buck modification that I have purchased (along with the J2534 adapter that works with FORSCAN and FDRS).

You can use FORSCAN with an inexpensive OBD-II interface or a J2534 adapter. J2534 adapters run from about $120-$1000+, I use a cheap J2534 adapter (you can find it earlier in this thread) but originally started with an inexpensive OBD-II adapter ($35). A 1 year license for FORSCAN is $12.

Modifications, I have used FORSCAN for:

Turning off annoying Ford startup chimes
Turning off seat belt nanny
Changing tire size (speedo calibration)
Disable TPMS for my non-tpms off road tires/rims
Enabled all 8 GOAT modes
Disabled double honk
Enabled fog/high beam combo (aka Bambi Mode)
and probably a few more that I don't remember off the top of my head.

It makes the Bronco 100% more livable. I most certainly would have found it to be annoying without all of the adjustments that FORSCAN offers, I believe that I would have actually disliked the Bronco without FORSCAN.

Kramku1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's a nice setup and plan, aside from flaps I want to grab a few lights, I'd love some simple round fogs instead of the LED insect eye lights that are so common.

@Bmadda I do want a winch (eventually), I've absolutely been looking with the Black Friday deals, I can tell that having one really is one of the best serious truck mods. I really want something hidden like the Rough County setup, but then I'd have to hack my factory bashplate. I don't have a welder and that's a pretty big step, so it'll take some time for me to make any kind of decision. I like my Modular front and factory rear steel bumpers, so those are staying.

@FuzzyBobMichigan I've got a TT sitting in the garage waiting on parts, which is a 15 year ownership story of its own, and I just traded a 2005 Outback turbo, which was a moneypit and finally turned me off of Subarus. I want my TT running again, your SS sounds very motivational. I'm thinking about IAG steps for the front doors, I'd love a set of the RCI sliders since they work with the factory rails, but that's a cool grand I could put to better use, like a winch. See, I'm making better decisions because of past experiences! 🤦‍♂️

That's so funny, that was going to be one of my first mods, I almost mentioned that in my original post lol

I have a mini-kit going, which is a blanket, shovel, tools/zipties, fuses, first aid kit, and some other small stuff. I've been looking at lists and recommendations online, I'll grab a starter kit sometime soon. I wish Ford had given us more storage space under the floor, and I keep forgetting to check on whether I have the longer factory jack extension.
Yes not a fan of insect eyes round headlights round spotlight keep it traditional looking 😍

GravyTrain

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR4, 2020 110
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You are done when you have finished the job Ford started. They left plenty of room.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well...If you still have checks there must be money!! Welcome to the off road world. It's like a boat, you thought the boat purchase was a lot, nope it's the extras. Like other have said figure out your type of off road travels and you will answer your own questions. I have a 4000 lb had winch, 100 Ft of Amsteel 17K rope. I've had to use it twice in my trips over a 10 year period. As I get older I start to think about a good power winch. I'm only a 1-4 rated trail person. I also carry a Bubba recovery rope. Just examples of some of my decisions.

Enjoy your truck!!
I’m sure some go crazy with this off-road stuff but my Bronco extras were only about $10k and $6,500 was PPF/tint. Boats are much worse, especially once you get over 30’, lol. This options list from Chris Craft for their 35’ Calypso should make some off-roaders feel better about their spending.

Check out the Seakeeper stabilizer with Generator to run it coming in at $73k, lol.
Ford Bronco When are enough mods enough? A new truck owner discovers the 4x4 aftermarket 😵‍💫 FD17C21E-9674-4455-B49E-2250F1448E37
Sponsored