Sponsored

Why does the auto start stop feature bother so many people?

fields_day

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr Badlands - 2023 2dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't mind it. I've had zero issues with it. Mine turns back on instantly as soon as I let off the break even a little bit.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, just want to hear peoples reasons on why it bothers them so much.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
Sponsored

Scape Goat

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't see it as much of an issue. Like you said, it starts right up with the foot off the brake.

I have a hard time shaking the possible premature wear to the starter. I think BMW had issues with this years ago. But, this might not be a thing anymore for all I know.

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

According to my boomer dad here is a list of reasons he disabled his.
  • It's going to wear out the starter
  • The turbo will cook its own oil shutting off mid journey without cool down
  • In an emergency from a stop, there will be a delay which could cost him
  • Its hard on the battery
Seems about as valid as any other reason I've heard (which is not at all). Seems to fall into the same thought pattern as folk that go through great lengths to disable ABS claiming they can threshold break quicker.

^The above is sarcasm

Last edited:
OP
OP
fields_day

fields_day

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't see it as much of an issue. Like you said, it starts right up with the foot off the brake.

I have a hard time shaking the possible premature wear to the starter. I think BMW had issues with this years ago. But, this might not be a thing anymore for all I know.
I assume that there would be a solution (for the parts) tested and engineered for this before implementation?

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Seems about as valid as any other reason I've heard. Seems to fall into the same thought pattern as folk that go through great lengths to disable ABS claiming they can threshold break quicker.
Pretty much this, to save $40 in gas over the lifetime of the vehicle makes no sense.

Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I assume that there would be a solution (for the parts) tested and engineered for this before implementation?
Ford need for parts to last 3 years or 36k miles. After that, it's on the owner's dime to fix or replace.
If you plan to keep your Bronco for longer, you need to plan long term.

Bronco B

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BD, 2017 Indian Chief Darkhorse
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Because original Broncos were 2-doors and did not have auto start/stop!

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems about as valid as any other reason I've heard. Seems to fall into the same thought pattern as folk that go through great lengths to disable ABS claiming they can threshold break quicker.
- If the starter is going to fail, I'd rather it failed under warranty.
- As has been said dozens of times on this forum, this isn't the 80's... Turbos don't "cook" anymore from being driven as intended, and again, I'd rather it failed under warranty (see pt #1)
- If you have an emergency where you think a one second difference is going to make a difference from a stand-still, then your bronco must have comes with the rare "VTOL" option
- See pt #1

Owning a manual transmission vehicle, I think I've literally had the auto start/stop system activate two or three times in a year (I don't often sit with the vehicle in neutral and clutch pedal out)

OP
OP
fields_day

fields_day

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford need for parts to last 3 years or 36k miles. After that, it's on the owner's dime to fix or replace.
If you plan to keep your Bronco for longer, you need to plan long term.
So you're saying my Bronco is like a cell phone? I should get a new one every couple years?

Sponsored

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

- If the starter is going to fail, I'd rather it failed under warranty.
- As has been said dozens of times on this forum, this isn't the 80's... Turbos don't "cook" anymore from being driven as intended, and again, I'd rather it failed under warranty (see pt #1)
- If you have an emergency where you think a one second difference is going to make a difference from a stand-still, then your bronco must have comes with the rare "VTOL" option
- See pt #1

Owning a manual transmission vehicle, I think I've literally had the auto start/stop system activate two or three times in a year (I don't often sit with the vehicle in neutral and clutch pedal out)
My post was drenched in sarcasm. I agree fully with you lol.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
So you're saying my Bronco is like a cell phone? I should get a new one every couple years?
At no point I said anything close to what you mentioned. The Bronco is nothing like a cellphone, as it can be fixed with parts. I keep my cars for over 10 years bot some people don't. It's your choice, but financially I don't think straining the starter, battery, turbos, lubrication system, etc. of a vehicle for minimal savings in fuel make any sense. YMMV...

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The autostart stop has never bothered me, but in cold or hot climates I turn it off. I just turn it off nowadays since it won't make a huge difference and I've gotten nervous using it.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some of the early start-stop systems Ford had from the early/mid-2010s vehicles were just straight-up dumb that put a lot of extra wear and stress on components.

Nowadays they are a lot more intelligent, and I have MUCH less of an issue with them. Since 2020-ish Ford's start-stop systems are actually really good. They won't stop the engine if the engine/turbo/etc. is too cold or too warm, it won't stop the engine if the battery parameters are incorrect, or if there is too much power draw on the system, etc. etc. So it really doesn't bother me at all.

For the Bronco specifically... the start-stop with the manual transmission is awesome. It will only stop the when you stick the transmission in neutral and let go of the clutch... which gives you a lot of control over when it activates. Can't say how it is on the automatic, but I know from my wife's Escape and a company Ranger (which I assume are similar to the Bronco) it is pretty solid. Occasionally dumb, but you can easily influence its behavior by adjusting the brake pedals pressure while you are stopped.

Brettlil17

Outer Banks
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It’s pretty annoying in my older vehicle. Sometimes it fails to start. You have to put it in park and press the start button. I feel like a tool being stalled at the red light in my 2017….
Sponsored