Sponsored

Why does the auto start stop feature bother so many people?

OP
OP
fields_day

fields_day

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr Badlands - 2023 2dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The autostart stop has never bothered me, but in cold or hot climates I turn it off. I just turn it off nowadays since it won't make a huge difference and I've gotten nervous using it.
I noticed mine disabled itself almost all summer here in TX.. I imagine it does the same for extreme cold.
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Because it’s unnecessary.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford need for parts to last 3 years or 36k miles. After that, it's on the owner's dime to fix or replace.
If you plan to keep your Bronco for longer, you need to plan long term.
5 years or 60k miles for powertrain

TwinTurboStang

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brodiak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Safety issue. You are sitting at a stop light you see someone flying at you,,, you move your foot from brake and slam gas pedal as turning the wheel (now the motor has to start in that time) to get out of the way.
It also feel so unnatural having the vehicle turn off as you stop.

Sponsored

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's poorly executed. My Toyotas used brake pedal pressure in its algorithm far better than the Ford implementation. A hard pedal push was required to get it to activate. The Ford system seems a bit overzealous and turns the vehicle off in slow rolling stop-and-go urban traffic more than my Toyota and its uncomfortable. I must say the direct injection is amazingly fast at starting.

Vanimalious

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree about the premature wear on the starter, however, I think I've read something about ecoboot turbos being water cooled instead of oil specifically for the auto start stop function. The idea that it continues to cycle liquid for cooling after shutoff would be nice. But it doesn't make sense to me how the bearings would last like that.

My concern is safety. I was at a stoplight. Saw a guy coming up behind me relatively quickly without any indication of slowing down. There was no on in the right turn lane, so I basically stood on the accelerator to get into the next lane. Dude blew the light and smashed into cross traffic. It's the only driving experience in my life where auto stop stop may have been a hazard, but even once is enough for me to keep it off.

It's also the experience that made me stop checking my phone altogether while driving, not just at stoplights lol

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
5 years or 60k miles for powertrain
I doubt the starter, battery, (maybe the turbos), etc. are covered by the power train warranty.

Screenshot_20221206-131139-542.png

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't mind it, but like lockers or GOAT modes, it really is a tool that is best used in the right place, right time. I usually leave mine disabled unless I find myself coming to a stop where I know I'll be sitting for a while...then I'll turn it back on again.

BeachTiger

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't have my Bronco yet, but my F150 has auto stop/start, and I have never been able to move my foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal faster than the vehicle re-started. That split-second delay is real but so short to be of no practical consequence in an emergency situation. You simply ain't that fast.

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't dislike it all that much, I just wish it was smarter about it.

Things it does wrong, IMO:
1. uses the system too early after engine start, causing restarts on cold oil
2. turns off slightly too quickly when doing things like a right turn into traffic. if I stop briefly for a stop sign and then go 1.5s later, it's just getting in the way. Plus it'll lurch when you're trying to get on the throttle and it is starting
3. tends to stop when I'm stopped at a light with the AC running hard. No AC is bad in phoenix when it's 115 out. please don't shut off the car, kthx. (for reference, my old BMW had start/stop and wouldn't kill the engine with the AC running the way the bronco will.

It's not evil, its just not as good as it can be.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I doubt the starter, battery, (maybe the turbos), etc. are covered by the power train warranty.

Ford Bronco Why does the auto start stop feature bother so many people? Screenshot_20221206-131139-542
Turbos definitely are. Idk about the starter, but I know the battery isn’t powertrain.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't want it, nor do i need it.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I never asked for it, actually requested that chip be removed and when I find the actual part in the battery terminal, gonna remove it besides doing the a.s.s. plug

also unplugged it in my Dads Range Rover, and he didnt care about it either way