Sponsored

Why does the auto start stop feature bother so many people?

OP
OP
fields_day

fields_day

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr Badlands - 2023 2dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Grrrr it's annoying pulling up in my garage if I take more than a second to put it in park it shuts down then fires up as I hit park, second try slow stop start traffic in an automatic anyone left it on off road? GRRRR šŸ˜”
Yup, this is really the only thing that annoys me about it is when parking.. Sometimes I think it just stalled..
Sponsored

nameuser

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Halfcab
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Definitely an age thing.
Every time it shuts off I flashback to 1968. My 60 Comet dying at a light and no buddies riding with me to either push start or push it off of the road.

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have never heard of this before. Not saying you are wrong but can you explain where I can find more info on this?
This explains it:

freetors

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You guys that are against this system on technical grounds realize that on an engine that is already warm, restarting takes a trivially small effort from the starter, right? Manufacturers have even designed these systems to stop the engine at a strategic point in the stroke to make starting as easy as possible. I don't know if ford is doing this particular style of implementation, but with modern direct injection it's even possible to restart the engine without using the starter at all. All you have to do is squirt a tiny bit if fuel into a cylinder that is ATDC with the valves closed and then zap it with spark and voila you have a running engine!

As far as wearing your battery out faster, I think that's a moot point. Pretty much all cars have sucky battery life nowadays, but that really has more to do with the fact all modern cars have constant parasitic draws on them. They never truly shut off. Whereas older cars (pretty much anything without a security system) could easily get down to near 0 mA draw, a quick google search says modern vehicles can be upwards of 85 mA. It's thus pretty easy to see how a battery could be discharged enough after a month of sitting that it might not be able to restart without assistance. Do that a few times and you could easily be in the market for a new battery.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
This explains it:
Dude, I just watched the whole video and there isn't a single mention of idling being a harsh condition and specifically when the carbon buildup is created...
Why would you post this?

Sponsored

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dude, I just watched the whole video and there isn't a single mention of idling being a harsh condition and specifically when the carbon buildup is created...
Why would you post this?
Why would you post this?
Dude, I posted it because you questioned this statement " idle is a surprisingly harsh condition for direct-injected gas engines, especially ones like the 2.3L that lack port injection. That's when all the carbon buildup on valves occurs."
The video explains why the carbon builds up and how pre-injection into the ports helps clean the valves. Sorry if you wasted your time watching a video but I'm sure other folks here on the forum learned something about port vs. direct injection.

baozebub

Black Diamond
First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My only issue with the logic behind it is when pulling in to driveway to park, it usually shuts off before I can shift to park, then turns on for that quick second. Other manufacturers do this better but Ford does this in all theirs Iā€™ve had.
I think when it auto-stops, it does so with a cylinder filled with gas, so just a spark will restart it again. However, when you turn the engine off, it burns off all cylinders. So pulling into a parking space where it auto-stops gets a cylinder ready for restart, but when you set it in park, it restarts because it doesn't want you to turn off the engine with a cylinder full of gas.

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
JBlanco, Here's some info on carbon buildup at idle which I found reading Engine Builder Magazine. Paraphrasing, At high speed, and particularly on race engines the port velocity through the engine, through the intake port, and through the exhaust port is so fast that a lot of carbon buildup just doesnā€™t have the time to occur. Itā€™s really the worst on production vehicles where they see a lot of idle time. Taxi and police vehicles seem to be more prone to this problem because they idle for long periods of time.

FDHog

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat FX4, 22 Road Glide ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Auto Start Stop is complete BS. They always said you use more fuel starting an engine. How much fuel do you save stopping an engine at a red light vs idling for 2 min. Plus it's friggin annoying.

Sponsored

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol!!! 17 pages nowā€¦ā€¦letā€™s see how far itā€™ll go!
Better than an oil thread, but has the same ā€œexpertsā€.

No one wants shit forced on ā€˜emā€¦ā€¦exactly like seat belts.
And yes, I am old enough to remember.
Then it was ā€œweā€™re going to save you from yourselvesā€
Now itā€™s ā€œletā€™s save the planetā€ā€¦ā€¦.and weā€™ll make more money while doing it! šŸ˜‰

Letā€™s see if we can hit 20 pages!

baozebub

Black Diamond
First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Canā€™t believe anyone is arguing in FAVOR of stop-start.
I don't disable my auto-stop-start, and don't have a really strong view one way or the other. I just drive with it on and only disable it in heavy stop and go traffic. But it does annoy me with these guys coming on here talking shit about people who don't like it.

Why don't they just talk shit about all Bronco owners being so backwards because we don't drive Priuses?

zerk4321

Base
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch Rapid Red
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I thought I would hate it - I do in other cars - but the Bronco auto start/stop isnā€™t as harsh as other vehicles I have driven. Itā€™s the quickest and smoothest to re-start Iā€™ve experienced. Most of the time I donā€™t mind it, but turn it off sometimes when itā€™s very cold out and donā€™t want the heat to reduce.
Sponsored