Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Badlands Bronco has these "Advanced" wipers that automatically stop wiping when they think the windshield is dry or think the prescious wiper motor may be damaged. I was driving this weekend in heavy rain, and when I put the wipers in High they automatically switched to Intermittent after like 1 minute. The rain was blinding so I had to keep switching from Low to High to keep them moving. After reading the Manual and a couple other threads in this, it appears this is a FEATURE. WTF - this is dangerous! Anyone else experiencing this? Another member suggested submitting this to NTSB and I agree. What do you guys think? For the quote from the manual, see the attachment.

BTW I love my Bronco and I am not one of the complainers. This thing is fantastic but the wipers are going to cause an accident. @Ford Motor Company

Ford Bronco Our Dangerous "Advanced" Bronco Wipers Screenshot_20230122-200411
Sponsored

Last edited:

MichiganMichael

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport, '22 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought I was going crazy driving home in a rain storm. It kept doing the same thing... Almost as bad as my F150 that will randomly wipe a clean, dry, windshield when on auto.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like the Bronco is not designed to handle a lot of rain. Hmmmm.

Seriously though, it looks like Ford set the parameters to tight on the overcurrent. Hope there is an adjustment they can do in the software.

C00TER

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I barely ever use wipers, I guess rain drops don’t bother me.
I guess I’ll find out when I receive my bronco in a couple of days…

Sponsored

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is this part of just some configurations, or a standard function of the wipers on all the new Broncos? I recall an instance where it seemed my intermittent rate suddenly slowed down and I had to go to continuous. Neither of my broncos has more than the base interior packages.

I agree this behavior is likely to create a hazard. If a standard item it suggests that they intentionally put wiper motors and linkages that couldn't handle more harsh operating conditions with software nannies to restrict the stresses to prevent failure.

A way of saving weight and cost then justify it with statements like the user isn't supposed to run them when windshield is wet or without cleaning ice off so this is just a protection. It ignores all the real world cases where one might be forced to do something out of the ordinary. I been in plenty of snow storms that have caused ice to start building up despite defroster heat and fan all the way up. Last thing I need is windshield wiper to slow down.

BroncoDude

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 3.5EB, 2021 2DR Base 2.7L Auto
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do all trim levels have this feature? I have not noticed any odd behaviors on my base model, however, I was not aware of this so wasn’t looking for abnormal behavior.

jamtra

Wildtrak
First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have not had any issues with the wipers. Been in heavy rain and heavy snow/ice. They worked very well for me.

OP
OP
BobRandall

BobRandall

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do all trim levels have this feature? I have not noticed any odd behaviors on my base model, however, I was not aware of this so wasn’t looking for abnormal behavior.
Honestly I don't know what models have this "feature" but if the Base model doesn't have it, I want those wipers.

Sponsored

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have often been frustrated by the interlocking of the wipers to the windshield fluid spray because inevitably the wipers would do one dry wipe smearing bugs across the dry windshield which the fluid/wipers then can't remove. I complemented the Bronco's designers for having it spray the windshield first before activating wipers so the glass is wet and bugs don't get smeared nearly as much, but now I know why, it is to save the wiper motor.

Personally I wish there weren't an interlock between spray and wiper activation. I don't know if that was a regulatory requirement or viewed as a "feature". I assumed regulatory because I've only had one vehicle that let me spray and wouldn't automatically activate the wipers. That was a 68 VW Beetle. I loved the separate activation as it would let me get the right amount of spray before wipers had chance to smear things like bugs.

OP
OP
BobRandall

BobRandall

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not had any issues with the wipers. Been in heavy rain and heavy snow/ice. They worked very well for me.
What model do you have?

Alcotune

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Honestly I don't know what models have this "feature" but if the Base model doesn't have it, I want those wipers.
I have a base and it does the same thing. I didn’t notice it first because I thought I was switching it back to intermittent until I switched it forward and went on high. I was assuming it was a warranty issue until I read about others. This is a terrible feature and I do think it is a hazard that Ford need to reprogram.
Sponsored