Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
On anything I drive with a fob, I get a 3M tape hook and one of the tesla key rings and put the hook right by the ignition switch somewhere. It helps me keep track of the fob. Even if the fob is in my coat pocket, bag, etc. when I get in by habit I look at the hook and it makes me do a mental check on where the fob is.
Ford Bronco I drove 3 miles without my keys keyfob
Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Long story short I was on beach today and left my keys on back bumper as I was unfolding beach chairs. I packed up and left. Started the bronco and drove about 2 miles. Wife wanted something in back, I put ā€˜er in park (not wife) and she died. I could restart with Fordpass, but not get out of park. I basically jogged back to beach and amazingly someone found keys and turned them in to the hostess at the tiki bar. Thank God Pinellas State police watched my Bronco for me on the road and picked me up so I didnā€™t have to jog back. Lulz. The damn keys allowed me to start and drive about 2 miles after falling off about 10 feet from where I started. I love technology - I donā€™t like running so much, anymore.
You ass! :ROFLMAO:

Think all newer cars with the fob will allow you to do that, although wish they wouldnā€™t. Living with fobs sucks at times. Iā€™ve particularly had issues with mistakenly pushing buttons while key is in my pants pocket and unlock doors, open the liftgate at the movie theater, etc.

The key (pun, get it?) is that it doesnā€™t allow for a restart which could be in case youā€™re car jacked or something. If stolen somehow, they wonā€™t be able to restart once the vehicle is shut down.

Those cops were really nice to you, which is great. Everyone is human and that could have happened to any of us.

Glad you had a happy ending.

Biz

Outer Banks
First Name
Biz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 OBX 2dr / 2019 Edge St / 2016 Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've always wondered how far you could get without keys before it shuts itself down (i.e., someone hops into the Bronco and takes off with me standing there not paying attention), but it seems like the only thing the keys do is disable the vehicle after it's driven away. Weird protocol, for sure.
Until you restart the car. Happened in my Edge ST. Started the car got out and my keys fell out in my driveway. Got to my destination without any issues. Leaving was a problem. lol

wrickem

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 F350, '21 G22, '19 911, '17 Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm glad it had a happy ending and that you're in good enough shape to jog.

It would be nice if we could set up and use our phones or watches as a digital key like some other manufacturers. That's saved me a jog or two over the years.

Last edited:

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
You leave your car running while getting gas? My keys are in my pocket bc touches entry and itā€™s off when fueling,
No. They are in my pocket. I've wondered if bronco could be started while I'm pumping gas, if someone jumped in

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Unless the key fob is very close to the vehicle and in range of an antenna, the bronco will NOT shift out of park even after started. The fob on your bumper must've been barely within range of one of the interior rear antennas.

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
As a somewhat funny somewhat related story, back in the day I drove a Geo Tracker (yes, I know). Anyway, you could be driving down the highway at 60 and just take the key out of the ignition without turning it. The first time it happened by accident it freaked me out to say thy least.

First BaseMan

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Will it restart if auto stop/start stops it at a light and your out of the range of the keys? I usually forget to disable it until it shuts off for the first time at a stop light, I guess the silver lining is that at as annoying as it is it would keep me from getting too far if I leave without my keys.

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
I thought broncos honked twice if the keys left the vehicle with it running, or is that only if in park? Or did you forscan that out?

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncocnorB

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought broncos honked twice if the keys left the vehicle with it running, or is that only if in park? Or did you forscan that out?
I have no clue. It honked twice when I opened the door and running. Then the bronco shut down in park. I restarted with Fordpass, but wouldnā€™t get out of park. I only Forscanned to add sport mode

Njchris1968

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford e350 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
IMO itā€™s too bad you need the key FOB to drive it. Iā€™d like it if you could just use the app to start and drive. My 2015 Tesla allows that and occasionally itā€™s useful such as in your situation. I often leave my keys in my Bronco and use the keypad to lock/unlock.
Are you afraid some one will break in and steel you bronco. Lots of people do it heck I do it with my old truck but hear of lots of thefts so trying to retrain myself. I also noticed that if my key is not in my right pocket I get a no key. If itā€™s in my left pocket it will not work. Hate it but then again at least I know I have my key with me

Last edited:

Aaron01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not really a fan of keyless ignition, it doesn't add value for me. I'm a little surprised that with all of the constraints and shortages on chips that Ford is still sticking to push-button start.

72F262

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BB 2D, '18 GT350, '72 F250 2wd, '72 Mach 1 CJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Frenchyā€™s. We were at the looong traffic light right by the restaurant. They felt bad for HER and brought out a nice container of pasta salad. Everyone was great, the cops, the tiki bar staff, and Frenchys. In the end it was a great experience at the end of the day, and Iā€™m glad I got my keys back. And thank god someone found them in the sand. Whoever they are.
Frenchy's, best blackened grouper sammy around. They also serve a mean pitcher of red sangria. Any of the four locations on Clearwater beach are awesome.

OP
OP
BroncocnorB

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Frenchy's, best blackened grouper sammy around. They also serve a mean pitcher of red sangria. Any of the four locations on Clearwater beach are awesome.
Iā€™ve Been spending time at Palm Pavilion too
Sponsored