Sponsored

Calling all those who own and wheel a JL and are considering the Bronco...

OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The 3.6 with the etorque should be interesting. The 3.6 screams at above 3k rpm and it has a really nice linear power curve....For what its worth, I love the on-road drive...
Cool.
Mind if I ask what is driving you towards the Bronco? Are you keeping your Jeep?
I have a line on almost fully loaded Rubicon with painted top and fenders for about 50K before TTL. Works out to be 4% below invoice. Not the best I've seen, but good enough for me. I think the BL loaded'ish with 2.7 auto will be 10K more before TTL. Just guessing.......
Sponsored

Last edited:

Moze

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Tesla Model S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First, here is my bias: I'm "all in" on the Bronco and I think Ford will do a really good job here. They are showing commitment and they are investing in relevant technology. I think FCA is loosing it's way with Jeep and are milking it as a cash cow.

Now that's out of the way...

I have driven both JL's and JLU's. I have driven JK's on 37's. I have had a JKU for 8 years, running a 3.5" short arm lift on 35's. I've done quite a few challenging trails and a bit of real crawling - including the Rubicon. It's an impressive and fun vehicle. You can simply go places and see things you just can do otherwise and you feel a great sense of confidence doing it and accomplishment afterwards.

To you're specific points: I did NOT find the JL to feel as good as the JK, but maybe it's better with the new steering. The Jeep is not a great vehicle to drive long distance, but it can be done (I've done it lots of times). And the Jeep handled the 37's fine. If you are considering hardcore crawling and more boulders than rockface (think more Rubicon than Moab) I think you should look at the Jeep. But, aside from that niche...

I don't know that I will try the Rubicon or Fordyce in my Bronco. It'll do it, but it'll probably be harder. Plus, I'm older and probably don't need to do that pinnacle again. But driving long distance and any other kind of off roading (including crawling that's not extreme) - I'm sure the Bronco will excel.

Last edited:

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't own a JL but have driven my friends JLU quite a bit. He's running 37s with a Teraflex 2-3" lift and a tune. It's a BEAST off road. I don't think I can say anything new that hasn't already been said on every Jeep forum ever.

On road, the tune allows it to still feel good even with the 37s. Without it, I think it would be a dog. The Teraflex Fast Adjust shocks are really cool and I hope they decide to do something similar for the Bronco.

And now for the elephant in the room. The steering is ... not great. My friend went and got the upgraded steering system. I drove it before and after, and while the new steering helps, it didn't help much. Particularly with the 37s, the truck just ... wanders. At high speed there's a significant dead spot in the center of the steering range. It doesn't feel unsafe by any stretch, but it's just really not enjoyable. At least not for me, coming from my IFS Xterra. He swears you get used to it.

I wouldn't want to do any long distance driving in it.

On a personal annoyance note, the nylon pigtail straps that attach to the doors constantly rub against my leg. drives me nuts.
Which steering fix did he get? The current one is a non aluminum steering box, but it was only released 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Cool.
Mind if I ask what is driving you towards the Bronco? Are you keeping your Jeep?
I have a line on almost fully loaded Rubicon with painted top and fenders for about 50K before TTL.
Check FCA version of an X-PLAN and see if you qualify. It offers 1% off the price where X-PLAN does much less. The company I work for gets all the reduced pricing Ford, FCA, GM etc. wish I could get the better discount from the X-PLAN, that would be a deal.

OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

First, here is my bias: I'm "all in" on the Bronco and I think Ford will do a really good job here. They are showing commitment and they are investing in relevant technology. I think FCA is loosing it's way with Jeep and are milking it as a cash cow.

Now that's out of the way...

I have driven both JL's and JLU's. I have driven JK's on 37's. I have had a JKU for 8 years, running a 3.5" short arm lift on 35's. I've done quite a few challenging trails and a bit of real crawling - including the Rubicon. It's an impressive and fun vehicle. You can simply go places and see things you just can do otherwise and you feel a great sense of confidence doing it and accomplishment afterwards.

To you're specific points: I did NOT find the JL to feel as good as the JK, but maybe it's better with the new steering. The Jeep is not a great vehicle to drive long distance, but it can be done (I've done it lots of times). And the Jeep handled the 37's fine. If you are considering hardcore crawling and more boulders than rockface (think more Rubicon than Moab) I think you should look at the Jeep. But, aside from that niche...

I don't know that I will try the Rubicon or Fordyce in my Bronco. It'll do it, but it'll probably be harder. Plus, I'm older and probably don't need to do that pinnacle again. But driving long distance and any other kind of off roading - I'm sure the Bronco will excel.
Thanks for weighing in here. I'll be doing the Rubicon, will not do Fordyce.
I do drive for extended periods of time on the road to get to where I am going...600 miles on road each trip is common. This is where my 4Runner excelled.
What are your thoughts on 37's with the standard Bronco? You can read my concerns on my prior posts in this thread if you haven't already.

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Now if Ford would just release some info on the ability to run 37's with a dealer installed lift I'd be 1000% committed to the Bronco.
Being that the Bronco is already able to fit 35s, fitting 37s should be trivial. However, I doubt there will be anything from the factory to facilitate it. To be fair that's the same situation in the JL. The major difference being, with the Bronco, you're going to have to wait for the aftermarket to really swing into gear. There are Jeep dealers in Colorado and Utah that will throw the appropriate lift for 37s on for you out the door, but it's because the aftermarket has already developed it.

OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Check FCA version of an X-PLAN and see if you qualify. It offers 1% off the price where X-PLAN does much less. The company I work for gets all the reduced pricing Ford, FCA, GM etc. wish I could get the better discount from the X-PLAN, that would be a deal.
Yes that 4% includes the 1% from Tread Lightly.

Moze

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Tesla Model S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for weighing in here. I'll be doing the Rubicon, will not do Fordyce.
I do drive for extended periods of time on the road to get to where I am going...600 miles on road each trip is common. This is where my 4Runner excelled.
What are your thoughts on 37's with the standard Bronco? You can read my concerns on my prior posts in this thread if you haven't already.
I think it will handle the 37's but you will likely have to beef it up.. The BL has upgraded Dana axles and transfer, which I expect will work.

OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Being that the Bronco is already able to fit 35s, fitting 37s should be trivial. However, I doubt there will be anything from the factory to facilitate it. To be fair that's the same situation in the JL. The major difference being, with the Bronco, you're going to have to wait for the aftermarket to really swing into gear. There are Jeep dealers in Colorado and Utah that will throw the appropriate lift for 37s on for you out the door, but it's because the aftermarket has already developed it.
Should or shouldn't be trivial?

If Ford said they'd be offering a lift to accommodate 37's then cool, I'd be with it and wait for it.
But the issue is IFS and CV angles where the Jeep doesn't have those same limitations. The Mopar 2 inch lift was pretty fast to come to market to fit 37's. Ford has shown the yellow one on 37's a ton and would think it would be pretty disingenuous to not offer something to the public under warranty down the road. Again, my concern is that no one has even seen it drive, just posing.

To be clear, I'd rather get the Bronco, but I need to fit 37's without drama, like the Jeep.

OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I think it will handle the 37's but you will likely have to beef it up.. The BL has upgraded Dana axles and transfer, which I expect will work.
What do you think will need to be beefed up if the the axles are up to the task?
UCA and lower ball joints?

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Should or shouldn't be trivial?

If Ford said they'd be offering a lift to accommodate 37's then cool, I'd be with it and wait for it.
But the issue is IFS and CV angles where the Jeep doesn't have those same limitations. The Mopar 2 inch lift was pretty fast to come to market to fit 37's. Ford has shown the yellow one on 37's a ton and would think it would be pretty disingenuous to not offer something to the public under warranty down the road. Again, my concern is that no one has even seen it drive, just posing.

To be clear, I'd rather get the Bronco, but I need to fit 37's without drama, like the Jeep.
SHOULD be Trivial. Views of the 35s we've seen don't look like the LCAs are at all that aggressive of an angle. Which means the CVs SHOULD be well within tolerance as well. Ford wouldn't be offering the 35s if they didn't have the truck built to handle them in extreme conditions. Adding 1" in height is not going to throw them out of that zone. The weight is another story. You're going to break cv axles. Period. If that's a problem, go buy the Jeep.

You're incorrect on that CO 2 door. The ONLY time we've seen it was that first video in the sand. Every other time we've seen a CO it's been the Sasquatched 2 door with the fancy tube doors on it. It's also been pretty well confirmed that that particular example was heavily modified with a raptor rear end and different front suspension, possibly raptor as well. That's what gives it the crazy wide stance it has. There is zero possibility that anything like that will be officially available.

There may be a mild lift available through Ford Performance and it may end up being all you need to throw on the larger tires. But if the Ranger is any indication of FP parts, all we're going to see is an upgraded shock option that levels the truck. Aftermarket is where 37s will be possible.

Last edited:

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Which steering fix did he get? The current one is a non aluminum steering box, but it was only released 3 or 4 weeks ago.
He just got back to me. He went with Steersmarts, so not the TSB option at all.

Reactions: JT1

chicknwithabeer

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon unlimited 2015 Ford f150 3.5 E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 18 JLUR, love it. I work at a FORD dealership and the owner hates the fact that I drive a Jeep. He keeps saying "Man I'll be glad when there's a Bronco in your parking space"....lol. I have reserved a Badlands just because I want to replace (if I do) with the equivalent. I'm going to build and order it and I'll decide when it comes in after I drive it. It's sad to say my wife has a 2020 Titanium Edge with a B&O system and the Alpine in the Jeep blows it away. I am so damn torn it's not even funny. Going to BRONCO event in Tenn next month to see that damn thing in person to really screw my thoughts up.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Cool.
I have a line on almost fully loaded Rubicon with painted top and fenders for about 50K before TTL. Works out to be 4% below invoice. Not the best I've seen, but good enough for me. I think the BL loaded'ish with 2.7 auto will be 10K more before TTL. Just guessing.......
Yes, right now the plan is to keep the JLU with the 2.0. Again, I am very happy with the power...actually the torque.... I dont see any reason to get rid of it for the Bronco. My wife will drive that Jeep. I have always wanted a Bronco....and I know with the Ranger that I have they will knock it out of the ball park.... I have 2 teens so 2 jeeps, a ranger and a mustang. I drive the mustang and in winter it just doesnt cut it up here so I'll get the Bronco as a second car for me. I'm curious on the 2.3 with the stick....or I'm getting the 2.7 auto.

SHOULD be Trivial. Views of the 35s we've seen don't look like the LCAs are at all that aggressive of an angle. Which means the CVs SHOULD be well within tolerance as well. Ford wouldn't be offering the 35s if they didn't have the truck built to handle them in extreme conditions. Adding 1" in height is not going to throw them out of that zone. The weight is another story. You're going to break cv axles. Period. If that's a problem, go buy the Jeep.

You're incorrect on that CO 2 door. The ONLY time we've seen it was that first video in the sand. Every other time we've seen a CO it's been the Sasquatched 2 door with the fancy tube doors on it. It's also been pretty well confirmed that that particular example was heavily modified with a raptor rear end and different front suspension, possibly raptor as well. That's what gives it the crazy wide stance it has. There is zero possibility that anything like that will be officially available.

There may be a mild lift available through Ford Performance and it may end up being all you need to throw on the larger tires. But if the Ranger is any indication of FP parts, all we're going to see is an upgraded shock ptin that levels the truck. Aftermarket is where 37s will be possible.
Good advice....I've seen offroad shops that took the Ranger offroading and guess what they broke. Yep....The CV axles...

I really think they are marketing the Bronco to be a really great all around SUV. High speed offroading......High speed on road.....etc. I want to try something different, but again I have no issues with my Jeeps and I would get another if the Bronco wasnt offered.

If you go with 37s I'd really recommend 20" rims. Not only does it look good but there should be enough tire to air down. That will also help with the onroad manners. 35s is as big as I would go on 17" wheels.

35s...no lift....JLU.

Ford Bronco Calling all those who own and wheel a JL and are considering the Bronco... jee

Ford Bronco Calling all those who own and wheel a JL and are considering the Bronco... mustan

Last edited:
OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

There may be a mild lift available through Ford Performance and it may end up being all you need to throw on the larger tires. But if the Ranger is any indication of FP parts, all we're going to see is an upgraded shock ptin that levels the truck. Aftermarket is where 37s will be possible.
The CO 2 door was also just shown at the employee event outside of the factory at a Ford employee event. Couple weeks ago. Was 100% on 37's and the passenger outer CV boot looked angry in one of those shot. Might have just been the angle..who knows. Perhaps you missed it.

OK, so you are saying the weight of the 37's is the trivial part, not fitting them and having legit CV angles?
RCV may be the answer if all else checks out.
Sponsored