First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F250, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Oh for Pete Sake! Am I supposed to cancel my RSVP and wait for the 2.7 with MT that may never come? Or get the 2.3 with MT and hate that I have a lesser engine?
Sponsored

GarageGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 Diesel Manual 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If the manual is being offered to the “traditional” User who wants to do “technical” things off-road with a “creeper” gear then why not offer manual with the 2.7 only and not the 2.3?
Exactly, I hope Ford reads your comment. I have a MT Cummins that I love, but waiting for the Wildtrack-auto only. Would love the opportunity for a manual Wildtrack, time will tell as things are changing every week.

perfectburrito

Badlands
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7AT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder how many clutches rookie off-roaders are going to burn out holding their rigs on a hill or repeatedly stalling coming out of a stand-still on a steep incline? For their sake, I hope Ford didn't go with the cheapest vendor...

Seriously though, manuals are going the way of the dodo for a reason: people aren't buying them. If they were, Ford would drop them in every model and charge us for the cost-savings. I'm going 2.7 Auto and I'll let the old-school guys ride their transmission in stop-and-go traffic. I doubt I regret it.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wonder how many clutches rookie off-roaders are going to burn out holding their rigs on a hill and repeatedly stalling coming out of a stand-still on a steep incline? For their sake, I hope Ford didn't go with the cheapest vendor...

Seriously though, manuals are going the way of the dodo for a reason: people aren't buying them. If they were, Ford would drop them in every model and charge us for the cost-savings. I'm going 2.7 Auto and I'll let the old-school guys ride their transmission in stop-and-go traffic. I doubt I regret it.
It may come with hill assist which is awesome if not no biggie another plus with manual transmissions is your brakes last alot longer too.
Put that thing in crawl and you have traffic gear.

Sponsored

AddDemiGod

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There's a pretty simple solution to the take rate thing. Just offer the option, dealerships probably won't purchase them but those who do want it can order it from the factory. I really don't see how it would be that hard to swap it into the assembly line since other broncos are going to have it. But also maybe the "take rate" is so low since it's just hard to find one.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's a pretty simple solution to the take rate thing. Just offer the option, dealerships probably won't purchase them but those who do want it can order it from the factory. I really don't see how it would be that hard to swap it into the assembly line since other broncos are going to have it. But also maybe the "take rate" is so low since it's just hard to find one.
Because everything that is offered has to be designed, tooled up and tested. There's a lot of cost involved with doing that. If the take rate is too low, they don't make the money back to offset the investment. If they don't make the money back, they aren't going to make a profit on that part. If they don't make a profit, they do not offer the part in the future.

So, the "solution" to the take rate makes the issue worse.

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Lots to agree with in this thread.

BroncoTPA wrote:
As of today (seems to change everyday) I am set on the 2.3L manual while making plans to purchase a 2023 model with the 2.7L manual. Hopefully, I will be surprised by the 2.3L and have no need or desire to swap to the 2.7.​

I completely agree. If Ford does that, as a way to refresh the Bronco, I'll give them credit for playing me perfectly. They'll get my money twice, and one of my daughters will get a fairly new 2021 Bronco as a gift.

For the record, I'm one of the people who would buy the 2.7 liter with a manual, if offered. But the manual is more important to me (just because I like it) than the larger engine.

Wingzfan said:

Pairing the MT with the 2.3L allows Ford to offer a Base model at $28.5k. Just from that perspective, it was a no-brainer regardless of the take rate on MT.​

I also agree that Ford probably wanted to offer the manual with the 2.3 liter in order to get one version below $30k >> marketing reasons.

Rocketeer Rick said:

I'll be honest, I was extremely surprised when I learned that Ford had apparently justified offering the manual transmission combination that we are getting. By the same token, I was equally impressed that they even built a business case for a 2-door body variant of an SUV.​

Completely agree with this as well. The ability to get a manual transmission and a 2-door is why I plan to buy the Bronco.

Regarding whether the 2.3 liter is good enough, has enough torque ... it's not about how much torque the engine has, but how much torque is available at the wheels. I found this video to be interesting, it discusses this and uses the Bronco as an example.
That video is awesome. He basically explains that when crawling you can’t use all the torque from the 2.3 much less the 2.7. Very interesting information and should help with the comfort of takers on the 2.3. Some people (myself included) just want the 2.7 because we just do ?

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Na na na na na im a second year or third year buyer, im getting a Base V6 Man-Squatch neener neener neener!

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang, 85 SVO, Mach-e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love rowing gears as much as anyone, but I'm going with the 2.7tt/10a for the 2021 Bronco 2-door for these 3 reasons:
1) Towing. I want to pull a camper close to the 3,500 pound limit so I want the most power along with tow/haul mode. (I know I'll get flamed for this one... ?)

2) I want the 1 pedal low speed driving feature

3) That cool Trail turn feature

Bronco trail turn.gif

Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That video is awesome. He basically explains that when crawling you can’t use all the torque from the 2.3 much less the 2.7. Very interesting information and should help with the comfort of takers on the 2.3. Some people (myself included) just want the 2.7 because we just do ?
Am i going to get some transferable credits for watching that video lol

HeritageRider

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Xterra Pro-4X 2014 Focus SE 5MT 1994 H-D
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Summary:

“So basically when you look at what’s going on in the marketplace with similar competitors products, the take-rates for models with manual transmissions is relatively low,”

Here’s Why The 2021 Ford Bronco 2.7L EcoBoost V6 Won’t Be Paired With A Manual Transmission

September 23, 2020 by Ford Authority

When the 2021 Ford Bronco was revealed to the world just a couple of months ago, people really only had three complaints about it. Firstly, they weren’t happy that Ford wasn’t planning on offering it with a V8, nor the fact that they couldn’t get FoMoCo’s new seven-speed manual transmission with the Sasquatch Package. Lastly, buyers seeking to pair the manual transmission with the more powerful Ford 2.7L EcoBoost V6 were out of luck, as it’s only available with the Blue Oval’s 2.3L EcoBoost I-4.

Ford has since corrected one of those “oversights,” as it just announced today that it would indeed offer the new Bronco with both the Sasquatch Package and manual transmission. However, it doesn’t look like Ford is going to change course and offer its new manual gearbox with the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 – at least for now. Recently, we had the chance to speak with Bronco Chief Engineer Eric Loeffler, who explained why FoMoCo chose not to go this route.

“So basically when you look at what’s going on in the marketplace with similar competitors products, the take-rates for models with manual transmissions is relatively low,” Loeffler explained to Ford Authority executive editor, Alex Luft. “So what we wanted to do is to provide it to the traditional user that wants the manual transmission and wants to do things that are very technical that are afforded by the manual.”

“The beauty of the product is that it still allows those who want to do it the old-fashioned way to do it, and also someone who’s a novice to let them try the technologies that we offer, you can do either in any one of our products,” Loeffler continued. “The manual in the 2.3 was paired up with what someone would want to do in the rock-crawling world, and that creeper gear is fantastic, so it’s well-tailored to that engine and that particular application.”

That means for now, Ford Bronco buyers who want a manual transmission will be stuck with one choice – Ford’s 2.3L EcoBoost I-4, which is projected to produce 270 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque, though The Blue Oval’s 10-speed automatic transmission is also available with the four-cylinder. Ford’s 2.7L EcoBoost V6 is projected to have an output of 310 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque in the new Bronco, but is only available with the 10-speed automatic gearbox for now.

However, Loeffler also admitted that Ford has not completely shut the door on the idea of offering Bronco 2.7L EcoBoost V6 models with the seven-speed manual transmission at some point in the future. “Well, never say never…it’s something we usually don’t really talk about – what we will do in the future,” Loeffler said. “But we’re a company that sells products, so if customers start asking for it, we’ll end up having to consider it.”

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 6.29.37 AM.jpg
As of today (seems to change everyday) I am set on the 2.3L manual while making plans to purchase a 2023 model with the 2.7L manual.

Hopefully, I will be surprised by the 2.3L and have no need or desire to swap to the 2.7. I keep recalling how much fun I had in my 2003 350z when it first came out and it had 287 HP and 274 lb-ft. 270 and 310 should be plenty to bring a smile to my face in the 2.3L.
That 350Z probably weighed a good thousand pounds less than a Bronco.

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No shit the manual transmission take rate is low when you don't offer it :rolleyes:

Automakers don't offer manuals with desirable options or top engine options, so people don't buy them because they are not willing to sacrifice everything to have a manual. I like how they cite "competitors" for their decision. The Wrangler is the only competitor that offers a manual transmission, but they only offer it with 1/3 engine options.

The other part of the problem is when dealers won't stock manual transmissions, and the vast majority of people don't special order their cars; they buy what's on the lot. So if dealers don't stock any manual transmission vehicles, then people don't buy them even if they would have preferred to have a manual due to economic reasons or driving preference. My local Ford dealer that has almost 500 new Fords on the lot didn't have a single manual transmission on the lot when I checked their inventory a couple years ago when they were still selling Fiestas and Focuses. That includes about 40-50 Mustangs that were on the lot. I checked again the other day, and guess what, still not a single manual transmission Mustang. My mother is thinking about replacing her 2006 Honda CRV (5 speed manual that she had to buy new from another dealer 225 miles away), but wants another manual transmission crossover. The only option is the Jeep Compass. There wasn't a dealer within 1,000 miles that had a manual transmission Compass on the lot. She isn't going to buy something she can't even test drive.

I personally would be ecstatic if Ford would offer the 2.7L with the 7 speed manual. I am a manual transmission die hard, and honestly, the 7 speed manual is the part of the Bronco that has me the most excited.
At my local dealer they typically have 40% manual mustang GTs on the lot. Probably closer to 20-30% 2.3 manuals. The automatics rotate and the manuals sit on the lot much longer. It all depends on the area. When they have previous year mustangs sitting on the lot in January they are all manuals. Not knocking a manual, I was actually going to buy a 2021 Mach 1 manual originally before I decided to switch to the bronco. I would only buy a mustang in a manual, but my bronco will be an automatic. Honestly I wish they would let us equip them however we want but I’m going to take what i can get that will best for what I’m trying to do. I’m glad they are offering a manual for you guys that want it.

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R || 2019 Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"Still, Jeep says that fewer than 5 percent of new Wranglers leave its Toledo, Ohio, assembly plant bound for U.S. showrooms with the manual transmission."

Really easy market research for them....although I think they will have a higher percentage of manuals, and would have had a lot higher rate if it was offered with the 2.7.
Could be partially because that manual is atrocious!!
Sponsored