Sponsored

Anybody pulled over by cops for tires poking out from fender flares?

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

STLDAVE

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Personal experience says otherwise.

I was once pulled over for suspicion of DUI coming home from work because, and I quote the cop, ”you were driving too straight and evenly with the centerline.”

So, in my case, proper driving was the reason…
A cop friend of mine told me when looking for DUI they look for the person doing everything right, full stop at stop signs, always uses signals for lane change when no ones around, etc. They say the person who's had a few is paranoid and tries to not give a reason to be pulled over.

So theoretically, you should drive a little sloppy, I guess.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I carry an 89.00 Amazon breathalyzer with me in the Bronco. I never drive if I’m over .06. I wait it out. Too many cowboy cops who will invent probable cause then nail you if over .08.

on another note I think displaying a “salt life” decal should be probable cause…
.06 is definitely impaired, even if legal in your state. You should have a sober friend drive or get a ride home. In my state, .06 would get you arrested.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

.06 is definitely impaired, even if legal in your state. You should have a sober friend drive or get a ride home. In my state, .06 would get you arrested.
I hear that, but .06 is two 9 oz glasses of wine with dinner, at least for me 162 lbs 5’ 9”. I don’t drive unless under .06. My bad - I spent more - but this is a great breathalyzer I highly suggest. Just in case any of you are so inclined. Sorry to hijack the thread. “Don’t drive over point oh five”
Ford Bronco Anybody pulled over by cops for tires poking out from fender flares? IMG_9677

Last edited:

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Back in the 90's and 2000's, there were definitely a few precincts around the Pittsburgh area that were known to give tickets for "illegal equipment" such as tint on front windows, tires sticking out, exhaust too loud, illegal lighting, etc. It was a pure money grab and one precinct eventually got disbanded because of it. (Kilbuck Twp.)

My best friend in HS had a 1977 Scout and we got pulled over driving around one night because his taillights "weren't red enough." Apparently they had faded over time and the cop used that as an excuse. He gave him a warning and he had to replace the lenses and go to the police department to prove that he had done so.
I moved away in 1996 and back in 2021. The difference in what people are getting away with is crazy - I see undercarriage lights, dark tint, lifted vehicles with bumpers higher than 30", tires poking out, etc. All things we wouldn't have dreamed of trying in the 90s, but we wanted to. ;)

PA isn't super car/truck enthusiast friendly, between the emissions bs, excessive vehicle related laws and different police departments every 5 miles I'd suggest a move. Florida bound in 5 years, can't wait.
No emissions BS in my county, just a quick visual during the safety inspection. And as much as I hate having to do the safety inspection every year, living in FL for over 20 years I saw my share of vehicles that were truly hazardous on the road and I do appreciate inspections now. ;)

It is now legal to drive with your doors off in PA.
As mentioned, I don't this that has passed yet, it has stalled in the government. And the law is that you have to run what came from the factory - old CJs had doors as an option and can run doorless, and this summer I intend to run my tube doors that are on my window sticker from the factory ;)

Also, in FL you can still be charged with DUI under .08!!! If you seem to be impaired but are under .08 you can be charged. Several years back there was an investigation around Tampa Bay into a cop that had an excessive amount of below .08 DUI arrests, and most were overturned, but the people still had to go through a DUI initially. I also had a good friend in the 2000s who is a HAZMAT driver get stopped at a checkpoint, blow a .02, but went into shock thinking about his career and was charged and arrested based on his behavior. The charges were eventually thrown out, but he had to go through a ton.

rayhil67

Black Diamond
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sahara 2006 hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have Lived in PA all my 57 years, I have owned 3 jeeps 12JK, 94YJ, and 85CJ ran all 3 with no doors and never once pulled over for it. I have had a dozen vehicles with tinted side windows and was only pulled over once "was in Filthadelphia enough said" Have never had a issue getting my vehicles inspected "including Bronco with tinted windows at dealership" Two of my jeeps, a 79 Bronco and a K5 Blazer all had oversized tires that "poked" out (inch or so) and never had issue getting pulled over or getting inspected.

These are Laws that are on the books to give authorities reasons to pull suspicious drivers over. I mean think about it, how many inspection stations would lose there license's or Detail shops be shut down for tinting windows. Try and get your windshield tinted in PA no shop will do it, hell I was trying to find a shop to install the Exoshield after my windshield cracked and both shops i use refused because that is a "Enforced Regulation".

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Excessive Poke isn't just about getting pulled over. If you cause an accident or god forbid a death because you sprayed someone you are in deep doodoo. Even if its not the cause, its ammunition for the lawyers. Nobody cares about a little poke, but if half your tire or more is poking people are going to be making comments about your IQ

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A cop friend of mine told me when looking for DUI they look for the person doing everything right, full stop at stop signs, always uses signals for lane change when no ones around, etc. They say the person who's had a few is paranoid and tries to not give a reason to be pulled over.

So theoretically, you should drive a little sloppy, I guess.
Exactly the opposite (and opposite of our training). You look for impairment. The things they ARE doing wrong. Swerving, crossing the line, blowing stop signs, failure to signal, etc. A DUI is also not aware of their environment. You can follow them for a few miles and they don't know you are there until you hit the blues.

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Exactly the opposite (and opposite of our training). You look for impairment. The things they ARE doing wrong. Swerving, crossing the line, blowing stop signs, failure to signal, etc. A DUI is also not aware of their environment. You can follow them for a few miles and they don't know you are there until you hit the blues.
I'm a cop video junkie, and yeah you are absolutely right! Never see someone get pulled over for DUI for doing everything right.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

its is true laws in place for poke and tint and front plate in most states like nj
Agreed, all 3 in my state too.
I have no front plate, over legal tint, only about 1" tire poke so not worried about poke.
I always assume I can be pulled over for no front plate or tint at any time, all my rigs have no front plate and over legal tint for 25 plus years now, never been pulled over for either but I know they could.
This is alway in the back my mind when i'm asked "have few drinks with us or come on just one more drink"
Not that I need to be kept in check but I use that potential pullover to make sure I stay in check, you never know... even if your driving perfectly fine. my 1.7 cents
[/QUOTE]
You can't be pulled over in Oregon for no front plate from what I understand. You will get a ticket from a meter maid for no front plate.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm a cop video junkie, and yeah you are absolutely right! Never see someone get pulled over for DUI for doing everything right.
Yep...I never heard such a thing. Can you imagine in court (officer testimony) "I pulled the defendant over because he was properly driving and obeying all traffic laws". The defense attorney would rip you apart.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I read about how renowned the new Bronco is for windshield cracks due to the windshield being so flat upwards I set my insurance comprehensive to $0 co-pay.
All my vehicles are $1000 deductible, $0 on glass. Going 2-years in AZ without a cracked windshield is a miracle, irrespective of the window angle.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
In AZ, station wagons dont require mud flaps. Only pickup trucks that have a bumper higher than 18" I think.
Even though my old Expedition was lifted with big tires, it's a station wagon, and did not require flaps, per the local P.D. Weird laws.
Very Technically correct. ARS 28-958.0

The way the law is written is that all trucks and trailers need mud flaps, no more than 8" off the ground. But pickups are exempt if they are factory height. (18" isn't in the statute, it just says "raised center of gravity) If MVD considers the Bronco a wagon, it's not a pickup.
Sponsored