Sponsored

Anybody pulled over by cops for tires poking out from fender flares?

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have Lived in PA all my 57 years, I have owned 3 jeeps 12JK, 94YJ, and 85CJ ran all 3 with no doors and never once pulled over for it. I have had a dozen vehicles with tinted side windows and was only pulled over once "was in Filthadelphia enough said" Have never had a issue getting my vehicles inspected "including Bronco with tinted windows at dealership" Two of my jeeps, a 79 Bronco and a K5 Blazer all had oversized tires that "poked" out (inch or so) and never had issue getting pulled over or getting inspected.

These are Laws that are on the books to give authorities reasons to pull suspicious drivers over. I mean think about it, how many inspection stations would lose there license's or Detail shops be shut down for tinting windows. Try and get your windshield tinted in PA no shop will do it, hell I was trying to find a shop to install the Exoshield after my windshield cracked and both shops i use refused because that is a "Enforced Regulation".
We used to run no doors in the 90s and never had an issue. I wasn't aware of the PA law until a few years ago when I found out on the jeep forums. All of the first person stories I've heard were from Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and Philly - and all very urban areas. My notary told me her son was stopped at Bantam one year for no doors, but he was driving the family hand me down CJ and was able to show it didn't come with doors.

As for tint, crazy enough they don't check tint during the inspection. Maybe the windshield, but you can have limo tint on the sides and pass, but then you can be pulled over leaving the station and ticketed.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks great! And I assume no poke but can't really tell from pic. Any other mods - lift/spacers/remove crash bars?
Not really any poke.
Removed crash bars. Added 2” lift after this pic was taken but not needed for fit. Very slight rub at full right lock on steering.

pjstans

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A buddy in PA said to me the state police were making it a point of enforcement - i.e. revenue. Worst state for Broncos. Only state you can't take OEM doors off. Tires must be covered completely and flares must not exceed body more than 3 inches. He says they never have enforced it. Even gets waives from cops with doors off illegally, but apparently the staties are cracking down. How do you drive a Raptor in PA? Anybody have problems with that? Thankfully most state laws are not this insane.
Was or is a "crime" being committed? or to say it another way...did another man or woman experience an injury as a result of the tires sticking out?..was another man or woman's property damaged as a result of the tires sticking out?..or..was another man or woman's rights infringed upon as a result of the tires sticking out? Did the corporate (polic - E) policy enforcer have knowledge or a verified affidavit or warrant to indicate that you committed or were about to commit a crime as a result of the tires sticking out?....upwards of 80M codes and statutes going strong across the nation!!!...they love to collect their fiat currency don't they?

OP
OP
FordFamily4Fun

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not really any poke.
Awesome! The reason I asked is the person in the below YouTube put on 285/75 on a BD that poked a bit, but I figure now it was the offset of her new wheels. She spent extra $$ for the SAS flares to cover the poke. Needless to say, we both have steelies and the offset seems fine for the base flares for you.

At the 10:06 mark.

Sponsored

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Awesome! The reason I asked is the person in the below YouTube put on 285/75 on a BD that poked a bit, but I figure now it was the offset of her new wheels. She spent extra $$ for the SAS flares to cover the poke. Needless to say, we both have steelies and the offset seems fine for the base flares for you.

Ford Bronco Anybody pulled over by cops for tires poking out from fender flares? 1706680034045
Here it is with the 2 inch lift. Better view to see there is no poke.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A cop friend of mine told me when looking for DUI they look for the person doing everything right, full stop at stop signs, always uses signals for lane change when no ones around, etc. They say the person who's had a few is paranoid and tries to not give a reason to be pulled over.

So theoretically, you should drive a little sloppy, I guess.
they're going to totally love self-driving cars ...
it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Was or is a "crime" being committed? or to say it another way...did another man or woman experience an injury as a result of the tires sticking out?..was another man or woman's property damaged as a result of the tires sticking out?..or..was another man or woman's rights infringed upon as a result of the tires sticking out? Did the corporate (polic - E) policy enforcer have knowledge or a verified affidavit or warrant to indicate that you committed or were about to commit a crime as a result of the tires sticking out?....upwards of 80M codes and statutes going strong across the nation!!!...they love to collect their fiat currency don't they?
It’s not a crime. It’s a violation of vehicle regulations related to safe operation. Specifically reducing potential damage to following vehicles and improving visibility in wet conditions.

Sponsored

OrangecrushBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It actually is a crime, and is why open wheel cars are not road legal. Everytime I see one all I can think is I hope they get ticketed. I don't want some compensating douche pile throwing a rock into my window.

OrangecrushBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's just a little poke, hardly sticking out. But they're are a lot of pick up and jeepers out there with the whole damn thing exposed which is illegal and unsafe for others around.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Obviously, state laws are different all over. Here in MT you have to be completely covered…..

…UNLESS it came from the factory that way. The law only applies to vehicle customization not new vehicles. So the Bronco is protected (assuming you still have stock wheels and tires).

Oh and before you ask….I’ve known several people who have tried to lie and say “this is stock“ when it wasn’t. To varying degrees of success.

Maybe a couple years ago the cops didn’t really know what a stock Bronco looked like. But these days there are enough of them running around to where I don’t think you’d get away with it.

And even if they didn’t know, it would take about 10 seconds to whip out his phone and Google images of stock Broncos. (damn technology)

A buddy in PA said to me the state police were making it a point of enforcement - i.e. revenue. Worst state for Broncos. Only state you can't take OEM doors off. Tires must be covered completely and flares must not exceed body more than 3 inches. He says they never have enforced it. Even gets waives from cops with doors off illegally, but apparently the staties are cracking down. How do you drive a Raptor in PA? Anybody have problems with that? Thankfully most state laws are not this insane.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Each State will have it's own laws on this and it is for safety issues. I am an Ex-Cop and many officers will have their pet-peeve citations and this is one of them. All I will say is if you are driving behind a vehicle that does not have tires legally covered....you are at risk for a broken windshield and a pelted front end. Some laws don't make sense, this one does.
Here is my Bronco, tires legally covered and it still looks cool:
Ford Bronco Anybody pulled over by cops for tires poking out from fender flares? b2e974d5a4eb5ad1869c55f3050dc3fe-
Thanks for your professional insight, common sense attitude and prior service.
Sponsored