First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m constantly hunting rattles and squeaks so this isn’t necessarily one of the challenges I have with my TOR, but what about the area where the upper section of the struts dig into the rubber gasket for the rear window? The same place others have shown a tear in pics here. Mine are definitely hitting there hard, might be a place for the squeaks you guys are experiencing?
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m constantly hunting rattles and squeaks so this isn’t necessarily one of the challenges I have with my TOR, but what about the area where the upper section of the struts dig into the rubber gasket for the rear window? The same place others have shown a tear in pics here. Mine are definitely hitting there hard, might be a place for the squeaks you guys are experiencing?
I eliminated that by driving a short distance with the rear glass up (not rubbing on anything) and the noise still persisted.

OP
OP
Turn Offroad

Turn Offroad

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just replaced those six main bolts with the rockworkx, and then went over nearly every bolt back there. The strut mounts to the top of the glass were pretty loose on my passenger side. One of the four phillips screws holding the lower strut mount to the top itself on the drivers side snapped off entirely with barely any pressure at all applied, but I don't think thats contributing to the noise.

might just have to live with it, though I do intend to have TOR give my top a wellness check once the replacement glass with the defroster is available

@Turn Offroad : I assume we have to be pretty darn careful tightening some of these?
We can definitely send you a replacement screw. Those are easily replaceable if its something you'd like us to walk you through! Or if you'd prefer to wait and bring it in we're happy to do it then too!

Which ones are you referring to? The hardware that runs through the glass you definitely do not want to overtighten. Most everything else is fairly straightforward.

I haven’t had that noise yet. But I do get a fair amount of squeaking noise when hitting bumps. Seems like the rubber strip on the bottom of the rear glass is causing it when shaking along the tailgate. I’ve tried cleaning it and putting some oil/lubricant but it doesn’t help. Not sure what to try.
Lubing up all of the seals back there including the OEM seal that sits against the tailgate should eliminate that. Back there in the rear there's the rear window seal, the tailgate seal, & the hardtop glass seal that touches the tailgate. Lots of rubber contact so lubing up all of those seals is a good idea.

If yours seems to be making too much contact you may benefit from adjusting your rear window downward toward the tailgate. You can just loosen the allen head bolts that go through the rear glass into the hinges, slide the glass downward and retighten.

Just for peace of mind for you that seal is really easy to replace and we have replacements on hand if anything goes wrong over time.

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If yours seems to be making too much contact you may benefit from adjusting your rear window downward toward the tailgate. You can just loosen the allen head bolts that go through the rear glass into the hinges, slide the glass downward and retighten.

Just for peace of mind for you that seal is really easy to replace and we have replacements on hand if anything goes wrong over time.
Thank you for the reply. Mine seem to be pressing in consistently on both sides, and I rarely open and close it, so I’ll keep an eye on the issue. I’ll also investigate your recommendation of attempting to adjust the glass. Maybe when the wiper is available I’ll attempt it all at once.

OP
OP
Turn Offroad

Turn Offroad

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

had mine for 2 weeks , love everything about it except the odor is still strong. @TURN Todd any idea how long it will be noticeable?
The odor should subside within the next couple of weeks. As @604Bronco stated leaving windows open when parked at night helps a lot.

All - I'm trying to diagnose a noise coming from the rear of my top while driving. I'd be grateful if anyone with a top installed could test the amount of play in their rear glass. See video below.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:

Checked top alignment (front to back) and bolt tightness.
Removed all items from the cargo area and uninstalled the tailgate table.
Drove the same stretch of road with the rear glass open and closed.
Sat in the cargo area during test to isolate the origin of the noise.

The Issue:

The noise/rattle is present regardless of whether the glass is open or closed. You can feel the vibration in the glass at the same time as the noise occurs.

View attachment 625460
My Suspicion:

I suspect the ball joint that attaches the rear glass to the strut is loose, causing the glass to rattle over bumps (potholes, expansion joints, railroad tracks). The noise has become more frequent over the past week.

Appreciate any insight you all might have!
I would 100% recommend going over your hardware that is touching the glass to see if anything is a bit loose. Just slightly tightening it a little should let you know if If you can feel the vibration in the glass I'd guess that maybe the strut mount is a bit loose or the gas strut might need a pinch of lubrication. Also you can remove the struts completely to check and see if that may be the source. Check out this link on how to remove this kind of strut.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Turn Offroad

Turn Offroad

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Also as a little PSA:

For anyone with questions regarding hunting down noises, seal lubrication etc. please shoot me a DM or email us at [email protected]. It's much easier to keep track of the conversations individually rather than here on the thread and we want to be sure to follow up on every inquiry!

Thanks guys!

OP
OP
Turn Offroad

Turn Offroad

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thank you for the reply. Mine seem to be pressing in consistently on both sides, and I rarely open and close it, so I’ll keep an eye on the issue. I’ll also investigate your recommendation of attempting to adjust the glass. Maybe when the wiper is available I’ll attempt it all at once.
That is normal. The seals are soft and over time the bolts/ bracket nest into the seal. The seal should not tear or rip due to this contact and over time will just develop a small indentation.

That would be a great time to adjust it!

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Also as a little PSA:

For anyone with questions regarding hunting down noises, seal lubrication etc. please shoot me a DM or email us at [email protected]. It's much easier to keep track of the conversations individually rather than here on the thread and we want to be sure to follow up on every inquiry!

Thanks guys!
At some point, could you create a video with solutions to those noises?

OP
OP
Turn Offroad

Turn Offroad

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

At some point, could you create a video with solutions to those noises?
We'd love to except for every situation thus far has been unique and often times these sounds are turning out to be unrelated to the hard top. That's why for now we're addressing each question that comes up individually.

If we are able to identify a common theme we will definitely make a video to make things simple!

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We'd love to except for every situation thus far has been unique and often times these sounds are turning out to be unrelated to the hard top. That's why for now we're addressing each question that comes up individually.

If we are able to identify a common theme we will definitely make a video to make things simple!
I have the factory hardtop, but you earned my business for other bronco accessories for taking care of customers after the sale.

Sponsored

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the OEM MIC hardtop as well, and that has some minor small noises too. Not bad at all though. I think a removable top is always going to have some squeaks and rattles.....just the nature of it. Most of my noises come from the rear flip-up window meeting the tailgate, which as many have said the Krytox lube solves that problem immediately. All noises for me have come from rubber gaskets just needing some lube/oil.

H0pelessOpus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands; 2022 Maverick Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The odor should subside within the next couple of weeks. As @604Bronco stated leaving windows open when parked at night helps a lot.

I would 100% recommend going over your hardware that is touching the glass to see if anything is a bit loose. Just slightly tightening it a little should let you know if If you can feel the vibration in the glass I'd guess that maybe the strut mount is a bit loose or the gas strut might need a pinch of lubrication. Also you can remove the struts completely to check and see if that may be the source. Check out this link on how to remove this kind of strut.

Turns out the culprit was the struts. The heads of the struts screw on & off and all of mine were loose. Problem solved!

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Turns out the culprit was the struts. The heads of the struts screw on & off and all of mine were loose. Problem solved!
Looks like I know what we’ll all be checking. Might have to crack out my thread locker again…

Can you please post a picture of the specific screw(s) you’re referencing?

Last edited:

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So is there supposes to me a little bit of movement in this? It doesn't look like you can tighten or loosen it - It's either in or it isn't.

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad | Aftermarket Hard Top NOW AVAILABLE IMG_5042

OP
OP
Turn Offroad

Turn Offroad

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So is there supposes to me a little bit of movement in this? It doesn't look like you can tighten or loosen it - It's either in or it isn't.

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad | Aftermarket Hard Top NOW AVAILABLE IMG_5042
A little movement is normal since they connect with a ball in a socket. There should not be any movement between the body (which says signature) and the plastic head. Both the top and bottom screw on and if left loose can contribute to some odd noises when the tension momentarily is relieved over a bump.

They're really easy to take off with a flat head screwdriver and check. It can be really difficult to tell if they're screwed all the way in under tension. Each shock produces around 40 lbs of pressure.
Sponsored