Sponsored

So if you have a trade-in... Maybe 6 months from order to delivery!

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
I have a trade-in for my Bronco...
So we'll all be placing our orders in December and January. The dealer will know the wholesale trade in value at the current time (when ordering), and when your finalize price and financing and give a deposit...
But what about that trade in value in the mean time? Some of us could be a YEAR out from delivery...
What then?
I feel like I'm gonna get screwed
Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is a discussion you should have with your dealer at order time. I doubt they will give you a solid price though but maybe you can work on conditions.

But yes....you will get screwed. Most trade-ins are low by nature. Sell independently if it's a real concern.

Edelfin

Big Bend
First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You should definitely factor in lower value and added miles of your trade in.

Sponsored

KJR50

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not telling U.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Depending on how much you need your car now and arrival of your new ride. You could sell high now, get an ebike, public transportation, short term rental like enterprise/budget/call a friend or whatever works.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Trade in will be the value at trade in. To think otherwise is silly. If you don’t want trade in value, sell yourself. Ford isn’t going to buy your car and then let you drive it for free for 6 months.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
The bottom line is that it will be up to your dealer. But your concern is well founded......
Yes. Do consider most states deduct the trade from the sales tax applied to the new vehicle, which is good for you. However, yes, they'll likely hold on the trade value but don't be afraid shop around two to four weeks before buying your Bronco. Most places will set an expiration of their appraisal around one to four weeks. Bring in documentation to the Bronco dealer that if they beat so and so's price you'll sell to them. You get the best value and save on taxes.

Depending on how much you need your car now and arrival of your new ride. You could sell high now, get an ebike, public transportation, short term rental like enterprise/budget/call a friend or whatever works.
This is smart though the high used car market right now isn't high enough to go that extreme in my opinion, from what I've found. I'd say if you had a nice used vehicle you were thinking about selling and didn't need, then yes, that would be a good idea.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LOL.
Implying that the weather is mild enough here to bike, that we have robust and reliable public transportation system, or that I have any friends left after I’ve alienated the lot with my incessant Bronco talk.

;)

RLW

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus GS 300, 2022 Badlands, 2022 Honda Odyss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the only time you get a decent value for a trade in is when the vehicle you are trading in isn't worth very much.

Example: I have a 21 yr old car that probably wouldn't bring more than $1,500-2,000 (at most) in a private sale.
My wife and went and looked at new Volvo a while back and they said they would give me 4K for my car.
Now that may have been because they really needed to move some inventory. But that's about the only time I have heard of getting more for a trade in than you could get in a private sale.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a discussion you should have with your dealer at order time. I doubt they will give you a solid price though but maybe you can work on conditions.

But yes....you will get screwed. Most trade-ins are low by nature. Sell independently if it's a real concern.
They're not really that bad if you're trading in, in Ontario, because of the 13% tax. You save the trade-in value amount in tax on your new car, which can be substantial... Probably $2500 in my case.
Can I make more selling privately? Surely... But is it worth the hassle? Dealing with the lein amount after the sale, etc...

HuskerJen47

Big Bend
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes. Do consider most states deduct the trade from the sales tax applied to the new vehicle, which is good for you. However, yes, they'll likely hold on the trade value but don't be afraid shop around two to four weeks before buying your Bronco. Most places will set an expiration of their appraisal around one to four weeks. Bring in documentation to the Bronco dealer that if they beat so and so's price you'll sell to them. You get the best value and save on taxes.

This is smart though the high used car market right now isn't high enough to go that extreme in my opinion, from what I've found. I'd say if you had a nice used vehicle you were thinking about selling and didn't need, then yes, that would be a good idea.
Yeah...you get the entire trade price against MSRP, which saves on sales tax. Most times it is a wash between trade in value and selling private owner when you add in the sales tax savings.

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I decided to sell now (my Lincoln MKC) while the market is hot for used vehicles. I still have another vehicle to drive, but really didn't want to trade my MKC...I got way more for it on a private sale than I could have gotten via trade-in. Plus the dealer has a bit more of a upper hand on the deal when you have a trade-in.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the only time you get a decent value for a trade in is when the vehicle you are trading in isn't worth very much.

Example: I have a 21 yr old car that probably wouldn't bring more than $1,500-2,000 (at most) in a private sale.
My wife and went and looked at new Volvo a while back and they said they would give me 4K for my car.
Now that may have been because they really needed to move some inventory. But that's about the only time I have heard of getting more for a trade in than you could get in a private sale.
It’s an indication of how much room they had to negotiate on the price of the new car.

Psychology for selling cars. Some people like to haggle down the price of the car, some people like getting maximum for their trade... in the end the net sale can be the same, but what angle you come at it can make all the difference to making the sale depending on the buyer.

And sometimes you have a buyer that doesn’t want to haggle down the price and they are only expecting the fair market value for their trade... that’s best case for the dealer (max profit) but also the buyer is happy because they got the experience they wanted/were expecting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should definitely factor in lower value and added miles of your trade in.
I will, for sure... But I guess the dealers must have some sorta clause
Sponsored