redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

in pa you can't have tires that go more than 2 in out of the fender wells...
If I recall correctly the inspection book says no part of the tread may protrude past the fender. That said most of the trucks we inspect as long it is only the first tread block on the tire sticking out we will pass, after that it needs flare or smaller tires to pass.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

are you trying to "hint" at something here Chrispy ??? ;)
………. still have IFS according to the latest photos.

maybe they just haven't released any photos of the SFA Bronco's yet .... still fine tuning it :LOL::LOL:

just poking fun …… please don't take the wrong way.

broncoenthusiast

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco xlt
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
...Someone pointed out the rear window doesnt appear to go down all the way which does suck for storage but they did include that triangle to atleast brace the glass so maybe I wont break it when I drop it 10 years from now...

I was thinking maybe the black triangle seals a lower angled window corner altho seems like th window wouldn't be very far into the bottom of the door then when all the way up

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
are you trying to "hint" at something here Chrispy ??? ;)
………. still have IFS according to the latest photos.

maybe they just haven't released any photos of the SFA Bronco's yet .... still fine tuning it :LOL::LOL:

just poking fun …… please don't take the wrong way.
I said it a LONG time ago, but I’ll state it again. My source at Ford told me there were test mules that had both solid front axles and IFS as recent as about 12 months ago. Take that for what you will.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This unnecessary side comment does nothing to dissuade me from my theory (after studying the kits to change Rangers to SFA) that the factory could offer more than just a choice of grills without too much trouble....

especially with a new frame from scratch.
Yeah an axle mounting kit is pretty easy take a look at jeep long arm swap kits. Just basic bolt on setups. The hard part is the fact that ford doesnt offer a solid front axle in anything of appropriate size and ratings. So they would have to have one built for them for in small quantity(not smart fiscally) or use someone elses like jeeps units(not bloody likely). You also need wheel sensors and big(to match current specs) brakes. So if they made a kit, dana would likely sell an axle all setup for modern use for maybe $7000 then add in suspension(high end like fox etc), steering, and traction devices and you are looking at maybe $12000 plus profit margin maybe $15-16000 installed. All on your $45-55000 new bronco. To sell what 200 a year?

This is an aftermarket and custom shop only pipe dream.

so if you check out Loren Healy's facebook page you will see a lot of clips from the FUN-HAVER Ranger. It's actually quite impressive on the rocks. The only thing is, the suspension he used is about $ 7,500 for just the lift. So after seeing this might as well leave it IFS cause its gonna cost 'ya 10 K to modify it either way. ;)

I'm a solid axle guy as well but times are changing.

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I said it a LONG time ago, but I’ll state it again. My source at Ford told me there were test mules that had both solid front axles and IFS as recent as about 12 months ago. Take that for what you will.

Yep I watch for all the hints and I remember this quote from another thread located in this forum.

not trying to say anything or trying to single anyone out just pointing out what was posted. And that is why I joke around with it. I still have some hope ? It just might be true.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah an axle mounting kit is pretty easy take a look at jeep long arm swap kits. Just basic bolt on setups. The hard part is the fact that ford doesnt offer a solid front axle in anything of appropriate size and ratings. So they would have to have one built for them for in small quantity(not smart fiscally) or use someone elses like jeeps units(not bloody likely). You also need wheel sensors and big(to match current specs) brakes. So if they made a kit, dana would likely sell an axle all setup for modern use for maybe $7000 then add in suspension(high end like fox etc), steering, and traction devices and you are looking at maybe $12000 plus profit margin maybe $15-16000 installed. All on your $45-55000 new bronco. To sell what 200 a year?

This is an aftermarket and custom shop only pipe dream.
this is actually not true. Ford makes the troller. Same width, same class, SFA. passenger side drop....hmmmmmmmm..........................if nothing else, a troller suspension should be a fairly easy swap aftermarket.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was thinking maybe the black triangle seals a lower angled window corner altho seems like th window wouldn't be very far into the bottom of the door then when all the way up
im thinking the same thing. only problem is, that means that there will be serious issues to cutting fenders....

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
this is actually not true. Ford makes the troller. Same width, same class, SFA. passenger side drop....hmmmmmmmm..........................if nothing else, a troller suspension should be a fairly easy swap aftermarket.
I believe the Bronco will come off the assembly line as IFS but then those destined to get SFA will get dropped off at the on-site Bronco Custom Shop to get the SFA upgrade. That way you can get a factory supported SFA with warranty and all. This is similar to what was done with convertibles (like mustang, etc) for years.

There’s no way Ford is going to let a factory Jeep beat the factory Bronco at anything. Bronco will be king of the trails, right from the factory on day one.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... The hard part is the "fact" that ford doesnt offer a solid front axle in anything of appropriate size and ratings. ...
You mean like a midsize SUV riding on the same platform as the Ranger, Everest and Bronco, like a Dana 44 ... yeah, too bad they don't already make the Troller T4.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Anyone have any ideas on what in the world posses them to mount the rear lower control arms on the bottom of the frame???? why not along the side for more ground clearance. I find myself skidding along the rocks more than you think, going over a rock ledge is the first. Everyone says about the ground clearance but this to me is counterproductive. The low mount by the wheel doesn't bother me as much because it's right by the wheel. but the front mount for the control arm should be mounted inside the frame. Go over the ledge with the fron,t drop onto the frame and then drag the rear over. but wait lets put this big ugly gob of steel so now I have "goose it" to continue over the ledge. I'm just saying why do they put it there, of all places ???

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You mean like a midsize SUV riding on the same platform as the Ranger, Everest and Bronco, like a Dana 44 ... yeah, too bad they don't already make the Troller T4.

If they did then all they would have to do is import the stuff and install ;)

Nah can't do that ….... it would make too much sense.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone have any ideas on what in the world posses them to mount the rear lower control arms on the bottom of the frame???? why not along the side for more ground clearance. I find myself skidding along the rocks more than you think, going over a rock ledge is the first. Everyone says about the ground clearance but this to me is counterproductive. The low mount by the wheel doesn't bother me as much because it's right by the wheel. but the front mount for the control arm should be mounted inside the frame. Go over the ledge with the fron,t drop onto the frame and then drag the rear over. but wait lets put this big ugly gob of steel so now I have "goose it" to continue over the ledge. I'm just saying why do they put it there, of all places ???
I questioned this a few months ago when the first pics came out. I Agree, it should be mounted just on the inside of the frame, regardless it will reduce ground clearance as you get back, but it would be less reduction, and if you made them beefed up, it would provide a smooth rock slider type transition.

think:

.______
. \
. \

vs

.______
. |
. \
\

but alot shallower.

well, crap, my ability to make that work, didn't work.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
My buddy who builds rock crawlers said that the Bronco’s control arm setup is actually pretty sweet. He said it’s a combination almost of a JL and a 4Runner. As far as ground clearance... yeah we’ll have to see. But he said it was a good design for ride quality and articulation.
Sponsored