redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I usually buy the lowest trim vehicle with only the options I need, in the Broncos case it would be a base model with FX4 (skid plates and rear locker). Hoping for mid 30's. I'll make 3 figure improvements if needed, but won't replace perfectly good parts with 4 figure improvements. Many on this forum say the will drop in a V-8, solid axle and now Atlas case, now we're talking well into 5 figures. If you have to change a vehicle that much to make it acceptable maybe you should start with a different vehicle, i.e. Tremor...?? BTW it looks like at least 33's from the factory, so at least I won't need tires right away!

I get your point and another way to look at it would be a 4:1 case from the factory could be say a 3500 option but an atlas is 2500 ...... or ............... using your 33"s as an option why not get a stock steelie and small tire no additional cost and the wheels and 33 option is 4k but I can sell someone wheels and tires for 2500. I get the dropping big bucks on options from the factory but my point is more of sometimes the factory is a hog on those options compared to the aftermarket for the same thing. Plus you an always sell those parts to recoup some of your $$$.

.............and for the record somewhere else I posted about how some shops have already installed an Atlas on the back of a 10 speed trans and 2.3 ecoboost in the new Ranger so we already have an aftermarket part available for a Bronco (that is not even out yet) that is available now see where I am goin with this. Buy it as cheap as you can and you should be able to upgrade it cheaper than the factory option.

edit: I forgot another good example a winch, factory option (probably Warn) 4K but you can buy one in my shop for 2800.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I get your point and another way to look at it would be a 4:1 case from the factory could be say a 3500 option but an atlas is 2500 ...... or ............... using your 33"s as an option why not get a stock steelie and small tire no additional cost and the wheels and 33 option is 4k but I can sell someone wheels and tires for 2500. I get the dropping big bucks on options from the factory but my point is more of sometimes the factory is a hog on those options compared to the aftermarket for the same thing. Plus you an always sell those parts to recoup some of your $$$.

.............and for the record somewhere else I posted about how some shops have already installed an Atlas on the back of a 10 speed trans and 2.3 ecoboost in the new Ranger so we already have an aftermarket part available for a Bronco (that is not even out yet) that is available now see where I am goin with this. Buy it as cheap as you can and you should be able to upgrade it cheaper than the factory option.
A lot of customers will like the idea of rolling the options into the payment, even if they can get aftermarket for a little less. Not always easy to come up with big money after buying a new vehicle.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A lot of customers will like the idea of rolling the options into the payment, even if they can get aftermarket for a little less. Not always easy to come up with big money after buying a new vehicle.
We do that for dealers here as well. Lift kit, wheels, tires, nerf bars, grille guards, Line-X, etc.
They drop the truck off, we "upfit" it, we take back, dealer lumps it all together and sells it to ya'. (y) (y)

My point was more of it can be cheaper this way than to buy "factory" options.

For the record BDS lift kits DO NOT void factory warranties on certain models and the ones they don't, those manufactures just don't get it.:D

https://blog.bds-suspension.com/?p=21630

right side reads factory plus protection.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

edit: I forgot another good example a winch, factory option (probably Warn) 4K but you can buy one in my shop for 2800.
Ive never paid more than 400 for a winch and ive never had one go bad that I didnt break due to negligence involving a ballerina suburban..

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you all remember the Focus RS, that was a disappointment that went into limp mode when it calculated the rear diff was overheating. Lots of these new cars don't have sensors. The computer calculates temps based on speed, load, etc. If the bronco is the same way, swapping out parts or adding coolers will not matter if you can't reprogram the computer. I'm not a real big fan of forscan.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I guess my point is I won't pay 2500 or 3500 for a feature that is only marginally important. I have a 4:1 case in my Rubicon, but everything else I have has a 2.72 and performance difference is hardly noticeable with an auto and would be irrelevant with a manual with a crawler gear. And I won't pay 4k for tires and wheels, I need the FX4 (plates and locker) and figure it will come with something like 33's, if it doesn't I'll spend a $1000 on tires with 33 ish diameter and put them on whatever wheels it comes with.

And it's nice to see Ford will offer a front locker, but really they are only marginally effective as well. In limited traction (mud and snow) they don't seem to help that much (tire chains are much more effective) and make steering nearly impossible, sending you places you really don't want to go. Ground clearance, to avoid high centering is more important. In rocks I only use the front locker intermittently as steering is also screwed. When headed uphill in rocks weight is to the rear so an extra tire pulling on the light end doesn't help much. Again, ground clearance is where it's at

My only thought of why ford may offer a 4:1 case is for the PR of being a Rubicon fighter. I use my rigs fairly hard in the Colorado rockies, AZ desert and UT slickrock, I think the Bronco in FX4 trim will do fine for my use. If someone needs a true Rock Crawler, the Bronco probably is not the vehicle for them...get a Jeep with heavy mods or build a tube frame outfit...you'll be money and performance ahead, but you'll have to trailer it to the trail.

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Just our of curiosity I checked my idle speed in my wrangler in 4lo 1st gear. (3.21 axle ratio) in the jack in the box parking lot

right at 3 mph too. Not bad for how tall of gearing it has and the 2.7 tcase.
Ok, so the manual ‘08 JKUR has a crawl ratio of 73.1. At a 650 idle, that is 8.79rpm or 533rphr. With 295/70-17s I am turning 606 rev./mile. Which means in first at idle I go about 0.9 mph. (With the stock 32’s it would have been 0.85 mph.)

Anybody know the 7 speed C gear ratio?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ok, so the manual ‘08 JKUR has a crawl ratio of 73.1. At a 650 idle, that is 8.79rpm or 533rphr. With 295/70-17s I am turning 606 rev./mile. Which means in first at idle I go about 0.9 mph. (With the stock 32’s it would have been 0.85 mph.)

It will probably be a decent amount lower than the JL’s crawl ratio which is 84.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

IF the bronco has a 4:1 rear and 4:1 low end transfer case. It will dependent on first gear.

JL Auto 4.7:1
JL manual 5.1:1

now for the bronco
10 Auto 4.7:1 same as wrangler
7 manual. I think 1st gear will be close to 4.8-5.4:1 range similar to Wranger
But I think crawl gear will be close to 5.5-6.2:1 very low!

If that’s the case we could be seeing a maximum ratio of close to 100:1 on 32” tires!
But for the “ road version” 2.7:1 transfer case and 3.7 rear. Will be closer to 55:1

TFLtruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250, Gladiator, Trail boss
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just looked at the news.
“motor trend” “Jalopnik” “Road and Track” “motor1” “The Drive” “Auto Blog” “Gear Patrol” and “CarBuzz” Shared TFLs leaked. And they haven’t said if they were banned.

remember when BroncoKongs leaks hit, they ALL had to pull their photos. Why not these?

I have a funny feeling there’s only 2 possibilities.

-1 TFL is full of ??? and they are just driving click bait.

-2 Ford is having a digital reveal and NO ONE will be there and TFL is just full of ???
Hi Guys,

I want to thank you for the lively discussion on this page. We actively monitor this forum on a daily basis and are excited to see what you guys think and experience with the new Bronco. I want to make it clear that yes, 2 hours after publishing these pictures we were called up by Ford and disinvited from the reveal of the new F-150 and Bronco. They have also pulled our access to vehicles locally as well. I understand the criticism we have received on this thread and appreciate what you guys have to say. I want to make it clear that we have a strict set of editorial guidelines, and if we receive images and info from anonymous sources, we will publish them as it does effect the purchasing decisions of many of our viewers. The other sites did re publish these images sent to us, it is unclear if any other publication has received any negative repercussions. I also want to make it VERY clear we don't accept sponsorship or payment from any vehicle manufacturers, Ford or otherwise.

Thanks again for everyone chiming in on this news, hope to see you down the road sometime soon!

Tommy
TFLtruck

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

IF the bronco has a 4:1 rear and 4:1 low end transfer case. It will dependent on first gear.

JL Auto 4.7:1
JL manual 5.1:1

now for the bronco
10 Auto 4.7:1 same as wrangler
7 manual. I think 1st gear will be close to 4.8-5.4:1 range similar to Wranger
But I think crawl gear will be close to 5.5-6.2:1 very low!

If that’s the case we could be seeing a maximum ratio of close to 100:1 on 32” tires!
But for the “ road version” 2.7:1 transfer case and 3.7 rear. Will be closer to 55:1
Even 55:1 is OK for most trails, especially with an auto torque converter. I had a Jeep Commando Mod 20 TC (2:1), 3.21 axles and Turbo Hydro 400: crawl ratio about 25:1, now that was worthless. But I'm betting on 4:10 axles for the Bronco if they intend on using 33" inch tires.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi Guys,

I want to thank you for the lively discussion on this page. We actively monitor this forum on a daily basis and are excited to see what you guys think and experience with the new Bronco. I want to make it clear that yes, 2 hours after publishing these pictures we were called up by Ford and disinvited from the reveal of the new F-150 and Bronco. They have also pulled our access to vehicles locally as well. I understand the criticism we have received on this thread and appreciate what you guys have to say. I want to make it clear that we have a strict set of editorial guidelines, and if we receive images and info from anonymous sources, we will publish them as it does effect the purchasing decisions of many of our viewers. The other sites did re publish these images sent to us, it is unclear if any other publication has received any negative repercussions. I also want to make it VERY clear we don't accept sponsorship or payment from any vehicle manufacturers, Ford or otherwise.

Thanks again for everyone chiming in on this news, hope to see you down the road sometime soon!

Tommy
TFLtruck
but you guys have shared Anonymous
Picture before.

yet you did not get in trouble for those?. Or was this the last straw?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
but you guys have shared Anonymous
Picture before.

yet you did not get in trouble for those?. Or was this the last straw?
They weren’t the ones to break the pictures.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ive never paid more than 400 for a winch and ive never had one go bad that I didnt break due to negligence involving a ballerina suburban..
I've had a 6000# Ramsey I paid $400 for 35 years ago and moved from vehicle to vehicle (Bronco II, Ranger, '66 Bronco, '05 Rubicon) it has only ever suffered from a broken cable.. I'll let it go with the Rubicon and get a Warn for around $1000

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
They weren’t the ones to break the pictures.
But that’s my point who cares who releases the photos if they’re out there and published anyway. Why isn’t Ford coming down on everybody that shares any late photos? Like Kong’s leaked phots. EVEYONE got in trouble that shared those.

it’s all fishy to me.
Sponsored