First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey all, I’ve never driven a car with a crawler gear.

Since we manual tranny guys will be giving up on a few features made for going slow (one pedal drive and trail control), can you tell me how this will work?

I have in my mind that it will crawl at idle and not require much throttle input at all so basically you just steer and don’t worry about stalling.
Sponsored

nameuser

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Halfcab
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have in my mind that it will crawl at idle and not require much throttle input at all so basically you just steer and don’t worry about stalling.

It is just a lower gear, nothing magical. On the flat or steady incline you can just steer, but if you get into uneven or irregular surfaces you still need to throttle and work it.

dirtyscab

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's just a lower gear ratio. ~6.5:1 versus around 3-4.5 for first gear in most manual transmission cars. First is 4.2 in the Bronco. It's off to the side of the regular H-pattern, chilling in reverse gear land. I'd imagine you'll have to use the reverse lockout in order to engage it, or they'll have some other kind of mechanism to lock it out so you don't mega money shift it. Either requiring 4-LO to open the gate or only allowing selection at zero or low speed.

My old truck has ~42:1 in low range and first gear. Bronco is supposed to have like 95:1 or something with the manual and "advanced" 4x4 transfer case, so you'll be able to go about twice as slow without having to start riding the clutch compared to a fairly average 4x4 truck as an oversimplified example.

OP
OP

Pcpacker

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's just a lower gear ratio. ~6.5:1 versus around 3-4.5 for first gear in most manual transmission cars. First is 4.2 in the Bronco.

My old truck has ~42:1 in low range and first gear. Bronco is supposed to have like 95:1 or something with the manual and "advanced" 4x4 transfer case, so you'll be able to go about twice as slow without having to start riding the clutch compared to a fairly average 4x4 truck as an oversimplified example.
Thank you. I hadn’t thought about being able to stay off the clutch more. I’ve had both a ZR2 S10 and Frontier in manual and that’s one of the more difficult things when crawling (which as you can see I haven’t done very often).

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's just a lower gear ratio. ~6.5:1 versus around 3-4.5 for first gear in most manual transmission cars. First is 4.2 in the Bronco. It's off to the side of the regular H-pattern, chilling in reverse gear land. I'd imagine you'll have to use the reverse lockout in order to engage it, or they'll have some other kind of mechanism to lock it out so you don't mega money shift it. Either requiring 4-LO to open the gate or only allowing selection at zero or low speed.

You can run the crawler gear off 2H. I have done it multiple times from a stop. It is just fun to go up a hill or down a dirt road at 3MPH. Any reason why the vehicle must be 4L?

Last edited:

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You

You can run the crawler gear off 2H. I have done it multiple times from a stop. It is just fun to go up a hill or down a dirt road at 3MPH. Any reason why the vehicle must be 4L?
2H is fine. People just like to know what the lowest possible crawl ratio is, and that's in 4L, so that's why it's linked to 4L. I'll use mine in 2H and 4H probably more than 4L.

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Normal day to day you probably won't even use the "C" unless you are bored. You just get out of it too quickly.
Sponsored