Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Also validated your reasoning for not buying a Tesla roadster just in case you were considering. Only 10,000 n•m of wheel torque. C'mon Elon!?
Sponsored

LoneStar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Love it! Further reinforcing my decision (or inclination) to go with 2-Dr Badlands for the MT/Crawler gear. At least the Badlands comes equipped with upgraded/taller suspension and 33" tires.

broncoenthusiast

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco xlt
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What Ford did with the MT and crawler gear in the bronco is SICK! Or whoever is building the tranny, cant think right now

Sponsored

BroAD

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of my biggest concerns regarding the 2.3l versus the 2.7l is the type of injection. The 2.3l has direct injection but the 2.7l has both direct & port injection. And, since the M/T only comes on the 2.3l engine, it makes this decision even more challenging.

With direct injection engines only, there is a huge concern for carbon deposits on the valves. Since direct injection only injects fuel into the cylinder, it doesn't "clean" the valve stems which causes buildup.

This is big problem with my 2012 F-150 Ecoboost 3.5l engine where I have to spray CRC Intake Valve cleaner into the engine every oil change to ensure I don't have to use an aggressive technique such as walnut blasting to remove the carbon deposits. With a direct & port injection engine, fuel is both sprayed directly into the cylinder as well as the chamber before the valves.

Jason from Engineering Explained has a great video on the differences between direct injection and direct & port injection:

Why New Cars Are Using Both Direct & Port Fuel Injection

Hope this helps everyone or just adds more questions to your overall decision.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This YouTube channel is full of great information. I am brand new to the off-road community and really needed some help understanding the difference between HP and torque as well as drive ratios. Any questions you may have about the concept, this guy has a video for it.

Great Stuff...
if you still need help, speed is how fast you hit the wall. torque is how far you move it under pressure

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What Ford did with the MT and crawler gear in the bronco is SICK! Or whoever is building the tranny, cant think right now
getrag... or was that sarcastic? lol

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4, BMW M550i, BMW Z4, Mini Cooper, Bronco First Edition Reservation
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sponsored

Mechjk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
He is modelling the Bronco with just 1 wheel on the ground, using a max of 5000 lb-ft of torque. I would guess in granny gear, you would have the sway bar disconnected and both lockers engaged, so you would be able to use a lot more of the available torque.
You would still end up with the same result with all 4 tires on the ground.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's great to see the return of the granny gear. There was a time when trucks came with a low (crawl) gear standard on the transmissions. Seemed to disappear in the late 70s or so.

kairo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That was a clear, concise, well delivered video. Excellent.

On the flip side though, doesn't an automatics torque converter add some sort of theoretical additional crawl ratio? I would imagine when you get down to it, the auto crawls only a bit faster than the manual.

95:1 is phenomenal in a factory stick though. Hell, a lot of my built jeeps with 5 speeds weren't even close to that and they still did fine for bumpy trails.

I'm gonna pull some numbers out of memory (and my butt) but I think a rubicon is 4.5 first x 4 transfer case x 4.10 (or 4.56?) rear axle. So a factory rubicon gets you something like 74:1. 95:1 is a beast.

Even my old '79 ford. 7 first x 2.5 (?) transfer case x 4.56 only equaled 80:1

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I remember seeing somewhere that Ford said you would not even need to disengage the clutch to start the truck while in crawler gear. Just crank over and you're off, pretty awesome!

Pretty easy to do, just find neutral safety switch, unplug, install a jumper wire so the ECM thinks the clutch is in all the time. Did this mod in my TJ. Good for starting in gear when off road and you don't want to drift back.
Sponsored