First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Rock Crawling that area gets hit all the time.
It may be good for everything else, but that's one location Id never want a winch because if you get stuck on a rock there, how do you winch out?
You are suppose to take your 24v chisel with you to carve out a section to pull cable , don't you know :ROFLMAO::LOL:;)
Sponsored

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
yes you are correct , its a BroncoG6 . I looked at other pics and yes it is not hidden .
I can leave it out of build being that it is a dealer install when the Bronco gets here I will decide for sure.
I'm trying to decide on this. Like the idea install is free, its a great winch. Don't like it blocks the 360 camera. Can remove some of the blockage with the control box relocation kit from warn if there is room under hood for control box with the 2.7

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm trying to decide on this. Like the idea install is free, its a great winch. Don't like it blocks the 360 camera. Can remove some of the blockage with the control box relocation kit from warn if there is room under hood for control box with the 2.7
A lot of people are saying if you remove the top part which apparently can be done it will solve the problem. However if you look at pictures of the screen with the winch on, it would only make a slight difference in veiw. The issue is the winch itself sticks out so far in front of the bumper.

I donā€™t know if there is a perfect solution other than a warn bumper with interior winch. But the ultimate solution might just be putting it offset to the center of the bumper. How you would mount it I donā€™t know. Iā€™m glad I didnā€™tget the winch because the camera is going to be an amazing feature

Last edited:

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm waiting to see what other mount options become available AM. Ford is charging $1000 or better for the mount (depending on synth .vs steel cable) and while it's high enough to not impede the approach angle, it sticks out, and blocks the camera. Wiring in and mounting a winch is not difficult.

I did just pick up the Harbor Freight Badlands winch (comparable to the Warn) to try out on my trail rig. It's only $600, and the reviews have been really good. We'll see!

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A lot of people are saying if you remove the top part which apparently can be done it will solve the problem. However if you look at pictures of the screen with the winch on, it would only make a slight difference in veiw. The issue is the winch itself sticks out so far in front of the bumper.

I donā€™t know if there is a perfect solution other than a warn bumper with interior winch. But the ultimate solution might just be putting it offset to the center of the bumper. How you would mount it I donā€™t know. Iā€™m glad I didnā€™tget the winch because the camera is going to be an amazing feature
Based on the pics I've seen, even relocating the solenoid box would block the view and be useless when off-roading on difficult trails or when cresting steep climbs or driving on high altitude shelf roads with tight switchbacks.

Then I read somewhere here, sounded like an insider, state they relocated the camera lower which would be even worse unless it meant lower as in on top of the winch.

I didn't think the winch option was even available to add to our order right now and was still showing late availability? If that's the case, then there isn't a need top stress over it right now.

Sponsored

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Based on the pics I've seen, even relocating the solenoid box would block the view and be useless when off-roading on difficult trails or when cresting steep climbs or driving on high altitude shelf roads with tight switchbacks.

Then I read somewhere here, sounded like an insider, state they relocated the camera lower which would be even worse unless it meant lower as in on top of the winch.

I didn't think the winch option was even available to add to our order right now and was still showing late availability? If that's the case, then there isn't a need top stress over it right now.
I think out of all the things ford dropped the ball on its the winch.

one of those "wait oh no , oh shit we forgot about the camera" moments

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think out of all the things ford dropped the ball on its the winch.

one of those "wait oh no , oh shit we forgot about the camera" moments
Agree. It was an afterthought when the camera already had a home.

I figure when it comes time that Iā€™ll be fabbing up a secondary harness and mount for another front camera so I can switch between the 2 when offroading vs permanently relocating the camera.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't think it would be too hard for them to come out with a camera relocation for those people who are ordering a winch.

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agree. It was an afterthought when the camera already had a home.

I figure when it comes time that Iā€™ll be fabbing up a secondary harness and mount for another front camera so I can switch between the 2 when offroading vs permanently relocating the camera.
i think the problem is the camera is 360 degree so you cant really move the camera without screwing up the "birds eye view" option

I wonder if it would be hard to mount the winch offset

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think if you re-locate the camera you have to reprogram how the 360 is stitched together and probably also where it shows the virtual tire tracks. It looks like a pretty wide angle lens, moving that back and forth will change the view quite a bit.
It's a bummer, but I'm sure I'll be using the camera a lot more than I'd ever need a winch. By the time I get on trails where a winch might be good to have I hope somebody offers a front hitch receiver in some way, then I'd just get the Badlands from HF and mount it on a 'hitch mount plate' for lack of a better word. That allows me to put the winch on the front or the back if needed, and I can take it off and leave it at home for the 95%+ of me not driving anywhere off road. Don't really want to have that heavy thing hanging on my front all the time. At least that's my current idea/plan. Plenty time to see what aftermarket comes up with. I don't want to mess with the camera or approach angle.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i think the problem is the camera is 360 degree so you cant really move the camera without screwing up the "birds eye view" option

I wonder if it would be hard to mount the winch offset
Correct, but I figure I would be able to install a 2nd camera to do similar what I do on my f150 right now. When my trailer is connected, I can view itā€™s rear camera or switch to the factory tailgate camera that shows my hitch and the trailer.

Mounting the winch offset wouldnā€™t be the solution. The solution would be to have the winch built into the bumper like jeepā€™s have or behind the bumper like the SD tremors have.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The problem with having a winch in a bumper is those bumpers are normally larger and lower. That would reduce approach angle.

@Daktari I believe you are referring to this type of mounting.
Ford Bronco Anybody getting the factory winch? 1616002940038

Whats cool about this, is it allows the winch to be used in the front or rear of the vehicle.
Would just require the wires be run to both locations ahead of time.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't even realize my build has a camera until I started reading all of these winch threads.

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The only problem with not ordering the winch is that itā€™s the only way to get the winch mounting plate that works with the mod bumper. So unless you have the fab skills to make your own or are gonna pay a large amount to have something custom fabbed, there is no way to actually mount a winch to our Broncos ā€” until the aftermarket comes up with something or Ford changes their mind and decides to sell us the plate separately.

Last time I checked Ford wasnā€™t selling the mounting plate as a separate piece so this means the majority of Broncos wonā€™t be able to hit more serious trails right away.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem with having a winch in a bumper is those bumpers are normally larger and lower. That would reduce approach angle.

@Daktari I believe you are referring to this type of mounting.
Ford Bronco Anybody getting the factory winch? 1616002940038

Whats cool about this, is it allows the winch to be used in the front or rear of the vehicle.
Would just require the wires be run to both locations ahead of time.
Yes! A clean front receiver mount would be really nice! Then I don't have to have the bumper candy on for my daily driving when I know I won't be needing it.
Sponsored