Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would likely go ahead and get the MIC top, use the points later towards the MOD top and list the MIC to sale. Probably be a lot of folks that are getting soft top only that would like to have it later. I’m only guessing though @Bronco Pilot
Sponsored

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just make it a long 2022 year. The buyers who ordered more basic Broncos will get theirs sooner and be happy. First edition will get a truly “ special “ Bronco that is still issued in the first year. And those who were forced to wait who had early reservations will be glad to get what they wanted in the first year of issue. This still allows production to be ramped up and softens the blow of this botched rollout for a new vehicle.

Last edited:

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm confident the MOD top will fit. Unless for some reason, Ford had some issue/change to the windshield mating area. I doubt that will happen, and otherwise highly doubt there would be a change to the body lip mating area for the back section.

Having said that, I will share some experience with the Jeep Wrangler TJ hardtop. Jeep made some changes to the hardtop over the 1997 - 2007 model span. All tops will fit all years, but some tops have mating pins, that may require drilling two holes in the body lip, or removing the pins. And Jeep also moved the air vents from the hardtop to the body tailgate, which can make closing the doors a bit harder, if installing a later hardtop on the earlier body that doesn't have the tailgate vent.

The reason I mention the above, is just to show that hardtops can change during a model run, and it's not out of the question to see changes by Ford for the Bronco. But I'm still confident hardtops can be made to fit all models. (Short of some critical design flaw resulting in mounting area changes.)
TJ stopped in 06, and the changes you speak of occurred between 02/03 I believe.

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
They are changing the 22 modular top for the better., lighter and hopefully stronger. I’m also glad that by year 22 they will produce enough Broncos to get the kinks out of the first year build quality issues.
They only had 15-24 yrs to perfect this. Wuhan happened RIGHT when production was supposed to start. This shit should have been long decided.
Awesome that MY21 looks more and more like a slapped together Frankenstein and 22/23 is when the appropriate Broncos will be released.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So say you are a Black 2-dr Black Diamond w/ MT, Adv. Transfer case, you should move up in line...

Sponsored

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yup, the "easy" thing to do would be to extend FEs that want the mod top to 22, even if it goes against the 1st year thing they were going for. I wonder if they run into issues with whatever FE-exclusive Lightning Blue paint they have left in that case? I don't know what the life of paint is like.

I also agree they're asking people to now choose between Door #1 (that's not what you want) and the Mystery Box of 2022 color/special package options.
Bodies are painted long ahead of time as seen in pics on this site, no?

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yup, the "easy" thing to do would be to extend FEs that want the mod top to 22, even if it goes against the 1st year thing they were going for. I wonder if they run into issues with whatever FE-exclusive Lightning Blue paint they have left in that case? I don't know what the life of paint is like.

I also agree they're asking people to now choose between Door #1 (that's not what you want) and the Mystery Box of 2022 color/special package options.
I guess they could build at the end of the '21 run and park it in a factory storage lot for several months until the MOD was available. I read posts where factory employees have said they do this with hundreds of vehicles waiting on something or another.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just make it a long 2022 year. The buyers who ordered more basic Broncos will get theirs sooner and be happy. First edition will get a truly “ special “ Bronco that is still issued in the first year. And those who were forced to wait who had early reservations will be glad to get what they wanted in the first year of issue. This still allows production to be ramped up and softens the blow of this botched rollout for a new vehicle.
This exactly IMO. I’ve been waiting for a few years for the Bronco. Another 6 months ain’t going to kill me. At least I can accept it was COVID that caused the delay, not some Ford stiff shitting on my plans.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes. You can change and modify your order as much as you want until the build is “scheduled” (VIN assigned) which happens a couple weeks before parts start getting bolted together.
But isn't everyone in MY21 going to be "scheduled" in May?

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So....you must believe the MOD unavailability is a Covid issue, rather than an engineering fail or sourcing blunder. Wake up; Covid is just a new version of "the dog ate my homework".

I would cut Ford more slack if they hadn't shown their ass on so many issues where there was no possibility of a viral culprit.

Sponsored

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They’re actually supposed to be made in a brand new Webasto factory next to the Ford plant.

The factory was being built right when Covid caused all the shut downs in work and materials last year. It seems like that has a lot to do with the significant shortage. Everyone had anticipated there would be an entire new factory churning out the tops by now.

Part of Ford’s statement today was eluding to an injection of their money into getting partner’s supply chains up and running quickly.

EA23C28E-966C-43E0-B58C-5F33030D1AA6.jpeg
My wife is an architect. Tells me that there is a national shortage on steel rafters. Lead time for the rafters are going out until September if ordered now.

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do work for a company that size and yes it is difficult. I guess my point is that if you can do it for 99% then why not for 100%. I mean it's not like they are completely canceling the MOD top.
For 2021 the MOD top is completely cancelled, right?

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well since I ordered both mod and soft tops for my WT at 2,495 instead of going with the free MIC top ( comes with WT not free I guess ) thinking that the mod tops late availability was still in 2021 at least, I do not want my 21 in 22 so I will just purchase the tops when they become available still costing me 2,495 either way.
Might even use that 1000 $ to go towards the tops that we are getting "for our inconvenience " so it's not all bad new to all. :unsure:
It'll cost you way more than $2,495 to add those later.

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HalfSmallGosling-size_restricted.gif

I let this one simmer. I’m definitely disappointed because I’m not going MIC Top. I’m sticking to the Painted MOD. I just wish they offered the option to get the dual top w/the ability to pick up the Modular Top at a later date, versus delaying my First Day Reservation to 2022.

Also, locking in the price is alright (even though they already made one price hike already) and $250 towards the off-roading academy, but man do I wish they’d give the people a little more than that, especially since they’re willing to give $1 Grand (+495 Sound) for people shifting to the MIC.

I feel like I’m just being discarded.

I understand we’re in a pandemic, and if these delays mean the factory workers and employees are executing on safe work practices, than I’m ok by that. To me, that’s far more important than getting my new Bronco a couple months earlier. I just wish they gave more consideration to the people who have been building their vehicle for almost a 1/2 year... got it exactly how they want, put their order in and suddenly got the rug pulled out from under them.

It feels very disingenuous to those who are sticking with and paying more for the MOD top

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why is no one talking about what’s changing on the 4 door MIC top for 2022?

Whatever they are improving on the mod top to accommodate a roof rack for a Sasquatch (which is obviously taking longer than expected) is probably the inner design around the C pillars/cross beam.

You’d think the front and mid panels aren’t changing, since they’re not structural, which is good since it’s going to be very costly if you break a panel down the road on your 2021-only top. I’m guess it’s just the clamshell inner structure.

I think the consolation of free sound deadening is more than just the mod top delay but also to appease MIC top guys that a part of our top will be a one and done for 2021. I don’t think the current sound deadening cut outs will be 100% compatible with any top after 2021 (such as the clamshell) since it will be modified for 2022....which is why it was such an easy decision to unload all of their sound deadening for free.

The fucked up part is that Ford said wait for 2022 to get rails on the Sasquatch. Then said mod tops will be delayed but could still be had in 2021. Personally, I wasn’t buying any of that, and steered clear of ordering my 21 with a mod top. Really? They are going to build a mod top for a 2 month production run in 2021 only to modify it in 2022 for better roof rail support? Yeah right. Look where they are now - They won’t even scrape together a couple thousand of them for FE owners.

In short - There will likely be two different structures for the 4 dr hardtops (one that can’t support rails on a Sasquatch ie 2021; and another slightly modified for the rails in 2022). The sound deadening cut out now are only compatible for 2021 (MIC only) and are free to everybody. MOD tops will be perfected in 2022, and MIC tops will be modified in 2022. Another reason why they axed dual tops. They just want to get the inadequate 2021 version of the MIC top over with to focus on the revised structure in 2022.
Sponsored

Last edited: