First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC yukon denali
Your Bronco Model
Base
One way I plan on feeding my bronco excitement is that I am test driving the Ford Ranger 2.3 EcoBoost this weekend so I can get a good feel for the engine that will be coming on my bronco. Just a little something to hold me over for the next few months. Has anybody else done this?
Sponsored

AcenTitus

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One way I plan on feeding my bronco excitement is that I am test driving the Ford Ranger 2.3 EcoBoost this weekend so I can get a good feel for the engine that will be coming on my bronco. Just a little something to hold me over for the next few months. Has anybody else done this?
Yep!

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not me, nope. No, sir. Ignore my "vehicle" section to the left. I absolutely did NOT lease a Ranger to hold me over for a year. No sirree, Bob.

OP
OP
kylearmani

kylearmani

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC yukon denali
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not me, nope. No, sir. Ignore my "vehicle" section to the left. I absolutely did NOT lease a Ranger to hold me over for a year. No sirree, Bob.
Nothing to see here officer ;)

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had my son buy an FX4 Ranger and I just drive it occasionally, was a good long term test. I also have a 2.7 F150, so lot's of exposure to both motors too. Enjoy (note, the 10sp does adjust to driving style over time, don't read to much into its behavior if is a low mile vehicle).

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There was an excellent article written by some pros on this very topic!

https://forum.truckersmp.com/index.php?/topic/51411-forum-how-to-use-the-forum-search-function/

When our moderators were asked if we could have something this helpful here on Bronco6G the silence was deafening.

Anyway, I made a thread about it below:

Bronco6G: 12,000 mile review of my 2019 Ford Ranger

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes. I leased one for a two year test drive to get ready for the Bronco.

OP
OP
kylearmani

kylearmani

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC yukon denali
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had my son buy an FX4 Ranger and I just drive it occasionally, was a good long term test. I also have a 2.7 F150, so lot's of exposure to both motors too. Enjoy (note, the 10sp does adjust to driving style over time, don't read to much into its behavior if is a low mile vehicle).
I know there are threads out there on this subject, but what is your honest opinion on the 2.3?

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know there are threads out there on this subject, but what is your honest opinion on the 2.3?
I own vehicles with the 2.7 and the 2.3.

My wife's 2.7 equipped MKX is very fast and smooth. It is the better engine of the two. It is also more expensive.

My Ranger obviously has the 2.3. It is a very good engine. I've never said "this doesn't have enough power". I have no problems merging, towing, etc. I ordered a 2.3 powered Bronco as well.

Sponsored

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My son has a 19 fx4 Ranger xlt crew with a small lift and 35's . . . I have driven it a number of times since he had it and have been nothing short of impressed. If I had not wanted the Wildtrak I was absolutely going to build up an OBX and stick with the 2.3 . . . but when I got done doing that - and sacrificing the black wheels and accents (that I really want) it was nearly the same price - so I am in the WT with the 2.7 - but I can not imagine not being more than satisfied with either engine.

OP
OP
kylearmani

kylearmani

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC yukon denali
Your Bronco Model
Base
I own vehicles with the 2.7 and the 2.3.

My wife's 2.7 equipped MKX is very fast and smooth. It is the better engine of the two. It is also more expensive.

My Ranger obviously has the 2.3. It is a very good engine. I've never said, "this doesn't have enough power". I have no problems merging, towing, etc. I ordered a 2.3 powered Bronco as well.
Thanks, my first car was a Buick enclave (gave it to my sister) so honestly, anything is an upgrade🤣

And I love the v8 in my Yukon but I plan on giving it back to my pops after my bronco comes in.

Was just hoping I can at least still have a little umph as I had from the Yukon lol.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a good motor. It is surprisingly fast and has solid power. Economy isn't as good as many would expect, consistently just 10% better than my 2.7 driven on similar loops at similar speeds. I average just under 20mpg, sons ranger is just under 21mpg. Injectors are surprisingly loud. I have read and understand enough about DI to say adding a catch can is probably a good idea if you have long term plans (probably zero issue at under 100K or ever, but DI in general has an issue with carbon fouling on valves, cheap insurance). I would not hesitate to order the 2.3 in any trim and I did experience a 2.3 4dr SQ and it was solid in drivability and acceleration. Time and situations were limited, but it left me confident I would like it.

Note- 2.7 is an awesome motor, I have had two. It is what I ordered.

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Traded in my 04 4L V6 Ranger on a 21 Ranger 3 weeks ago. Was going to get the Wife a baby Bronco Badlands to go along with the full size Bronco Badlands I have on order. Changed my mind when someone said that would be “cute” having a baby Bronco and a regular Bronco and decided to upgrade my Truck instead. I also traded in the wife’s 2016 MKZ, so she’s a little salty driving an 06 Saturn View.
Anyways, the 2.3 engine is a good engine in the Ranger.....definitely better power and mileage than my 4L V6, but with that said, I’m glad I ordered the 2.7 for my Sasquatch’s Badlands.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Be careful, this is what a test drive did to us. The 2.3L engine with the 10 spd is an amazing combination. The torque, and power come on quick when to push hard on the "go" pedal. It will also return very good mpg's if you keep your foot out of the turbo. The only complaint I have with the combo is the tuning Ford put in it. The tranny wants to stay in the higher gears so long to eek out that one iota of gas it lugs the engine at slower speeds. With this one that's around 25 mph. But, sport mode cures that quickly. With that said I'm going with the 2.7L in my 4 door Bronco just because I want one. :)

Ford Bronco Test driving ford ranger 100_5250.JPG
Sponsored