Sponsored

Not a gear head so explain to me 2.3 vs 2.7 . . .

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm sure the 2.7 upgrade will be a pricy option. Plus you lose the option to have a manual transmission.

If you upgrade you gain "only" 40hp (270 on 2.3, 310 on 2.7) but get 105 ft-lb more torque (295 vs 400)

If 95% of my use of this truck as a DD not towing anything is that hp/torque difference going to be that noticable? Am I going to be disappointed in my 2 door being under powered?

Initially I was upset I couldn't get the manual transmission in the 2.7 but the more time I've had to think about it I'm not so sure the 2.3 won't be just fine my 2 door and meet my needs. Plus save me some money and allow me to have the manual which I really desire. This truck will be my 11 year old sons in 5 years and I want a manual transmission so his friends can't likely drive it and he cant text and drive. Him being a little underpowered may not be a bad idea either.

My buddy at my local Ford dealership is going to let me come test drive a Ranger in a 2.3 if they have any available so I can get a feel for it.
Sponsored

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does your daily drive involve merging onto highways or into traffic? Some extra torque will pop you into place.
A 2.3L with 270 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque has more power than most production cars / trucks.

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've owned a lot of different cars and trucks. I test drove an Edge sport with the 2.7TT V also. there's a huge difference in everyday driving with the torque of the 2.7TT versus the 2.3T.

If you follow the mustang forums, the 10 speed auto 10R80 makes a GT mustang much faster at the drag strip than the MT82 6 speed manual. Around a half second or more in the 1/4 mile. That's great for drag racing, but for curves and car control, many still prefer the manual. I think the 10R80 pairs well with the the 2.3T, but I'm a manual transmission guy. I don't plan on drag racing an SUV. Not having the manual with the 2.7TT is very disappointing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MCG DAWG

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does your daily drive involve merging onto highways or into traffic? Some extra torque will pop you into place.
I'm fortunate to live 2 miles from my office in a small pretty rural town in North Georgia. Heater can't get my ride warm before I get to work in in the winter.

That's another thing to consider with manual, I use remote start nearly every day to cool/warm my vehicle prior to me getting in it. Can't have remote start with a manual.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm fortunate to live 2 miles from my office in a small pretty rural town in North Georgia. Heater can't get my ride warm before I get to work in in the winter.

That's another thing to consider with manual, I use remote start nearly every day to cool/warm my vehicle prior to me getting in it. Can't have remote start with a manual.
You can, just aftermarket. Would suggest a neutral safety switch instead of just a clutch override.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Are you able to park in a garage? That really takes the chill out. I had a similar commute for a few years. I wore gloves, hat, and a coat in my car to work and then took them off when I got there. The heater was useless. :LOL:

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The towing capacity is the same for both motors, so the extra torque isn't going to help in that department. Honestly, if you plan this for a 16 year old, you may like the fact that it's a bit "under-powered" so it'll keep him out of trouble. Sounds like the extra ft-lbs. is not worth losing your desired setup.

OP
OP
MCG DAWG

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Are you able to park in a garage? That really takes the chill out. I had a similar commute for a few years. I wore gloves, hat, and a coat in my car to work and then took them off when I got there. The heater was useless. :LOL:
For the past 17 years I have driven a full size truck that wouldn't fit in any garage I've owned. This will be a second vehicle for me and will get to live in the garage. That should help significantly. You from Toccoa Ga? I'm not far from there.

Sponsored

aman43

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if you are willing to tune you 2.3 you can get similar performance compared to the 2.7l

Ford Bronco Not a gear head so explain to me 2.3 vs 2.7 . . . r6ujes56j

However. That same tuning of the 2.7 would turn the bronco into a monster

Last edited:

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A 2.3 is a large 4-banger. A 2.7 is a TINY six cylinder.
Neither of those are true.

The 2.7T in the Silverado is a large 4-banger. The Cummins 4BT is a large 4 banger. The 2.3 is firmly medium.

Same with the 2.7. For years, many Fords came with a 2.5L Duratec V6, the successor to the 3.5L Cyclone and eventually the 3.5 EcoBoost. Most V6s today around right around 3.0L.

The Mazda 1.8L V6 in the MX-3 is a tiny V6.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

The 2.7T in the Silverado is a large 4-banger. The Cummins 4BT is a large 4 banger. The 2.3 is firmly medium.

Same with the 2.7. For years, many Fords came with a 2.5L Duratec V6, the successor to the 3.5L Cyclone and eventually the 3.5 EcoBoost. Most V6s today around right around 3.0L.

I was exagerating to make a point. All this consternation over .4L

Yes, 4 vs 6...I know. I just think the protest is overblown.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base

Didn’t the Colorado come with a 2.9l 4 cylinder for several years?

2.7L is absolutely tiny for an American vehicle, I’m used to 6.0L, 8.1L, 6.2L etc.
Sponsored