First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So far in these reports - "the honeycomb is only visual" - "not a texture you can feel"

If this were the only problem, you'd think just get it painted - carbon gray - or how you like -

But the physical "delamination pop-ups" and "cracks at edges" take it to another level -
And a reminder to everyone that water seeping into these edges that aren't sealed come winter time means those areas have the potential to expand and potentially crack. These things come out of Michigan....they should know these conditions best. Basically... Winter is Coming.
Sponsored

MaddMax

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S5, 1970 Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All I know is that they are charging us in the neighborhood of $55,000 for this vehicle, we shouldn't be backpedaling our options to meet Ford's ineptitude, Ford needs to pick up their pants and get back to work! This is what happens when marketing gets way ahead of engineering. Lots of promises, poor delivery!
I was going to pay ~$55K for this vehicle, but with all the first year/model issues coming to light with the top and electronics, I'm close to dropping down to a base or black diamond for MY21 and upgrading in a couple of years once Ford works all these kinks out.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, 1971 Z28 R/S
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I can see the same pattern showing through on mine, although not as bad. But it also has not been in the sun much.

On the other hand, I have another small section that is obviously delaminated from the top core. Meaning the outer layer is separated from the honeycomb. When I tap it it has an obvious hollow sound, unlike the rest of the top. Similar to tapping on floor tiles, the ones that do not have best thinset bond have a different sound.
A concern I havenā€™t seen anybod talk about is the structural integrity of the MIC top if you were to be in a rollover accident or have something fall on it. I know FORD did extensive testing on every component of the Bronco to make sure it was safe but you cannot tell me that the current integrity of the MIC top is the same as the original (small run) of MIC tops made for the early testing. I mean I donā€™t want to be in Hawaii next year and have a coconut come flying through the top of my Bronco šŸ˜†

zzcoop

Black Diamond
First Name
A-A-Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.postrockimages.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I donā€™t want to be in Hawaii next year and have a coconut come flying through the top of my Bronco šŸ˜†
Nah. As you can see here, these things are made of genuine, high-quality, reinforced coconut fiber. Should cancel right out. #Science #OrSomething

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 621BEE4D-9ED6-4992-A7E1-6457777A9A24

Sponsored

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Reiterating a ridiculous point doesn't mean it is smart or correct. If you think no planning went into the Bronco, then you are willfully ignoring facts.

There seem to be quality issues with the tops. These quality issues have held up production. Some appear to have skipped through, which is a problem.

So far, there are 23 pages worth of people hand wringing about shit we already know, and Ford already knows. The echo chamber is getting really loud.

So, folks shouldn't ignore the problems, but damn...step back from the ledge y'all.
Oh, there was planning. Just very little of it and late in the game. Typical lazy engineering and poor vendor management/vetting. <--- Statement of fact, no hand wringing... "y'all"

EVH1994

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford either should have done strictly all MIC tops or all MOD tops from the get-go. Trying to design both of them simultaneously from the start probably wasn't a good idea.

Maybe I will just suck it up and wait for the MOD top, since that's what I wanted in the first place.

Sponsored

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
My top is getting painted blackā€¦ā€¦problem solved.
Doesnā€™t help if itā€™s de laminating. And Ford will likely tell you your areanty is voided because you painted it. Iā€™m in the same boat. Planned on painting mine white. But that doesnā€™t address the de-lam situation

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Obviously a LOT of production consistency and QC issues involved in this, but I have another concern that's more about the design and material used.

One of the key points that was played up early on with the MIC top (and remember, that stands for molded-in-color ;)) was that scratches wouldn't show up because the top was a consistent color throughout.

Now we're seeing that a defect in the manufacturing process is producing an outer layer so thin that it begins to show an internal honeycomb pattern after a few days. Not sure if this is caused by some sort of UV or moisture reactivity or what (which is a big problem in and of itself), but my point is this:

What is a scratch or other physical impact (like hail?) going to do to a top like this?

No way that doesn't punch through the thin outer shell and expose the internal structure. Not only is that going to be very visible (unlike what we were initially told about these tops), but that internal structure is going to easily hold water and moisture.

So I guess my question is this:
Even if the manufacturing and QC issues get sorted out between Webasto and Ford, why should I believe that this top is going to have any sort of useful longevity at all? (And believe me, I want to believe this top will work out.)
Sponsored