Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
LOL the winch not only blocks the ACC. More importantly, it blocks the front facing camera. It’s a MASSIVE mistake from Ford, don’t try to defend them on that.
Maybe the mistake is trying to put too much tech in an off road vehicle and sell it at a reasonable price point. There is only so much shit you can stick on the front of a truck and try to keep it from being damaged on the trail.
Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here is the info I've been able to gather over the past year about the construction. I don't know enough about these materials to know what any of the words mean.

POM for the MIC, SMC for the MOD

Hard Top Types March 21.png
ZackDanger, that all makes sense. Thank you!

Tricky Nick

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 2dr JK, manual, AEV lifted, 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well in defense of the winch issue, how many hard core off roaders are really going to care about automatic cruise control?

Nothing stops anyone from mounting roof racks. Manufacturer liability is a game played by lawyers, not real people.

And another mentioned is the bull guard on the bumper. It blocks the "Bronco" name on the grille. Oooohhhh, what an engineering fail that is! Lol. It's a styling issue at worst.

To me those small issues are nit picking shit that in reality are going to get ignored by owners.
For the record, Lawyers are real people...some better people than others, but real just the same

Oceannomad

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For the record, Lawyers are real people...some better people than others, but real just the same
So my lawyer sister keeps telling me. Although she gets paid well to lie so …

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh, oh, Ford is not going to like that title.
Typical for a Jalopnik headline. True to their Gawker Media origins. Nick Denton would be proud.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've cleaned, and waxed the hard top on my Wrangler many times in the last two years. Nothing like that has happened, and it still looks new. I think it's time to stop by your dealer, and start a warranty claim. I really don't see that getting any better. I only see it getting worse as time goes by. Good luck.

Last edited:

Skip2a

Black Diamond
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There is a lot of speculation on here and lots of finger pointing. What I would love to see is Ford chime in and tell us the following:

1. How are they going to address the quality issue on these tops?

2. When do they expect to address the issue and start shipping quality tops that belong on a vehicle costing between $40 and $60k?

3. Why can't two door buyers (actually both 2 and 4 door) have the choice of a soft top to get their vehicle and supply the hard top when they quality control issues have been worked out?

I know it will be an additional cost that neither the buyer nor seller wants to pay. At this point Ford needs to start rebuilding its reputation and not worry about the cost of finding a solution.

There has to be some type of solution to this shit show that won't take another year or two to resolve.

Derby

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Perhaps Ford should consult extang in Ann Arbor. They have hard bed top with a honeycomb construction that does not show through.

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The gift that keeps on giving. New today I have the "snakeskin" texture on both sides of my clamshell and signs of delamination all the way down the drivers side rear clamshell seam. There is also a dark rubberized vinyl streak that has obviously peeled off from somewhere clinging to the top of the raw edge, I'm wondering if this is the material they used to cover those edges to look properly finished?

My MIC roof hasn't been waxed or treated with any product in the 3 weeks since delivery.

The snakeskin texture is difficult to photograph but is quite obvious to the eye. It cannot be felt, only seen.

20210720_150146.jpg

20210720_150911.jpg

20210720_150929.jpg

20210720_151014.jpg

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The gift that keeps on giving. New today I have the "snakeskin" texture on both sides of my clamshell and signs of delamination all the way down the drivers side rear clamshell seam. There is also a dark rubberized vinyl streak that has obviously peeled off from somewhere clinging to the top of the raw edge, I'm wondering if this is the material they used to cover those edges to look properly finished?

My MIC roof hasn't been waxed or treated with any product in the 3 weeks since delivery.

The snakeskin texture is difficult to photograph but is quite obvious to the eye. It cannot be felt, only seen.

20210720_150146.jpg

20210720_150911.jpg

20210720_150929.jpg
I'm starting to look at this Ford Molded-InCompetence as nothing more than another through away item, like air filters.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My question is if the grey outer "skin" is actually structural or just a cosmetic veneer. Is the separation between the core and veneer or in the base core layers? Is the MIC exterior a sheet that is loaded in the mold and everything is done in a single step or is this a multi-stage process? Seems like a painted top (like gel coat boat hull) would be much easier to produce considering it's in 6 different sections.

If the majority of this is some form of fiberglass mat/chopped strand/biaxial mat plus an outer veneer, it would seem this would be more difficult to produce than a standard fiberglass vacuum form. Is this a bonding issue? Too much/too little resin? Ford, send me a defective MIC top or multiples. Hell, I'll pay for them just to see if we can sand through the outer layer, apply a few coats of epoxy and try to get some paint to stick.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My question is if the grey outer "skin" is actually structural or just a cosmetic veneer. Is the separation between the core and veneer or in the base core layers? Is the MIC exterior a sheet that is loaded in the mold and everything is done in a single step or is this a multi-stage process? Seems like a painted top (like gel coat boat hull) would be much easier to produce considering it's in 6 different sections.

If the majority of this is some form of fiberglass mat/chopped strand/biaxial mat plus an outer veneer, it would seem this would be more difficult to produce than a standard fiberglass vacuum form. Is this a bonding issue? Too much/too little resin? Ford, send me a defective MIC top or multiples. Hell, I'll pay for them just to see if we can sand through the outer layer, apply a few coats of epoxy and try to get some paint to stick.
These MIC tops should of had a better gelcoat seal design from all these pics I see.
Sponsored