First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Can you imagine the wait for a new fully reworked modern 4Runner? This wait won’t seem so bad…
It'll be ready when Toyota says it's ready.

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
How is any of this happening?? Seriously Ford. Get your heard out of your ass!!!

slypops

Badlands
First Name
Reggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Ford F-150 4x4 , 11 JK wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ah, man that stinks. Hopefully they will stand behind it and get you a replacement. This was one of my concerns about the MIC top from the beginning. Consequently, I decided to have uncharacteristic patience and ordered my Wildtrak with dual tops/painted hard top. I'm thinking I might actually see it some time before I die..... Good luck!
Was talked out of my Wildtrak tonight by my dealer. Man, I miss it but what can you say...

TAD630

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This could be related to dissimilar post mold shrink or dissimilar C.L.T.E. (coefficient of linear thermal expansion) between the outer and inner core. All polymers will have additional shrink after molding. Time and temperature will get a polymer to its ultimate shrink. If the outer layer has a higher shrink rate than the inner core the result could be read-thru of the inner core.
Also, all polymers have a measurable thermal expansion rate (coefficient of linear thermal expansion). As temperature goes up a polymer will expand and as temperature goes down it will contract. If the inner and outer don’t expand and contract at the same rate the resulting stresses could result in visual read-thru of the inner core.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This could be related to dissimilar post mold shrink or dissimilar C.L.T.E. (coefficient of linear thermal expansion) between the outer and inner core. All polymers will have additional shrink after molding. Time and temperature will get a polymer to its ultimate shrink. If the outer layer has a higher shrink rate than the inner core the result could be read-thru of the inner core.
Also, all polymers have a measurable thermal expansion rate (coefficient of linear thermal expansion). As temperature goes up a polymer will expand and as temperature goes down it will contract. If the inner and outer don’t expand and contract at the same rate the resulting stresses could result in visual read-thru of the inner core.
Even if you just made that up it still sounds convincing to me.

fbd.jpg

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I have two additional comments maybe three:

1. Remember when we were just worried about the color of the MIC tops!🤣

2. What percentage of our top is now not able to be inspected because it has a free sound deadening headliner upgrade? About a 1/3 of it?

3. How can they not even get the adhesive on the “hide-a-liner” right?

Still excited for Bronco though! Hoping for a month from now at best.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Obviously a LOT of production consistency and QC issues involved in this, but I have another concern that's more about the design and material used.

One of the key points that was played up early on with the MIC top (and remember, that stands for molded-in-color ;)) was that scratches wouldn't show up because the top was a consistent color throughout.

Now we're seeing that a defect in the manufacturing process is producing an outer layer so thin that it begins to show an internal honeycomb pattern after a few days. Not sure if this is caused by some sort of UV or moisture reactivity or what (which is a big problem in and of itself), but my point is this:

What is a scratch or other physical impact (like hail?) going to do to a top like this?

No way that doesn't punch through the thin outer shell and expose the internal structure. Not only is that going to be very visible (unlike what we were initially told about these tops), but that internal structure is going to easily hold water and moisture.

So I guess my question is this:
Even if the manufacturing and QC issues get sorted out between Webasto and Ford, why should I believe that this top is going to have any sort of useful longevity at all? (And believe me, I want to believe this top will work out.)
A webasto employee who used to post on here said the MIC tops actually scratch EASIER than the mod tops. He also said they were having issues with the inside of both tops flaking off. My hunch is that’s one reason for the headliner
Maybe a silver lining to this is they will rush the MOD tops using the proven SMC method into production for the my2022's
I would LOVE to hear Ford say this. Let us order MOD tops! But there’s a rumor there’s a diff supplier now for the mod and they will need time to get ready

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
2. What percentage of our top is now not able to be inspected because it has a free sound deadening headliner upgrade? About a 1/3 of it?

3. How can they not even get the adhesive on the “hide-a-liner” right?
I am surprised that they are not gluing artificial turf to the outside and saying they are upgrading the top to "EcoGreen".

Sponsored

rmanecke

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83CJ / 87YJ Mashup
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just paint them with bed-liner... like I did the old crappy fiberglass hard top on my 87 Wrangler!!

jimbo92

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Local one I saw here had fiberglass strands sticking out of the top and bubbles on the inside. They also damaged the plastic trim by the windshield installing it and the dash had defects from a bad mold. Overall build quality on these is quite poor.

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 68707B44-CDDF-4E85-9A71-170EA3536394

7AD94319-6149-4865-AE1D-171AA0A3DCA8.jpeg

Bulletbill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sounds good - with BL you get more extreme off-road and another GOAT mode I believe -
Sounds good? I’m sorry but how is being talked out of the vehicle you wanted a good thing.

Ford released an amazing vehicle last year, and their big release this year is that you can’t get that amazing vehicle. You can get the stripped down beta version.

I am in no way ok with this, and it’s amusing that anyone feels this is acceptable.

Bulletbill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Was referring to BL vs WT -
If you get BL w SAS, what are the WT advantages ?
He also dropped the 6 cyl and hard top in lieu of a 4 cyl and a ragtop, unsure as to whether he still has the Sasquatch package.

The point is that it is not what he originally reserved. His dealer talked him into down grading his order which just sucks.

Mine kept pushing me to drop the MIC top, after I already dropped the tow package and the lux package. So I decided to just 99 my order and wait till Ford figures this all out. To be honest, it’s very apparent that they should have waited to release the Bronco as it doesn’t seem ready for prime time.
Sponsored