Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious if Ford owns the tooling for the Mod Top or Webasto🤔. If Ford owns it, you wouldn't necessarily have to start from scratch with a new supplier. Could shave some time from development and give them more time to work out kinks.
Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't see why Ford can't just build these themselves. To AZshot's point, during WWII, Ford was able to drop everything and produce 87,000 aircraft, with finished planes rolling off assembly lines in 6 months. But plastic roofs? No way that's too hard. Thank god B-17s didn't need plastic roofs or we'd be speaking german.
there are plenty of reasons to not self produce things like the tops. the capital investment to build the factory. this is taxed as property. the machinery to produce is also taxed.

taxes are brutal on the large corporations. when i used to own a bar, i was taxed a property tax, like on a home, on the furniture, the liquor i was selling (in addition to the sales tax paid at the time of purchase). the structure i was operating out of. the refrigeration equipment... even the money kept on hand for banks for the cash register. i would need to pay an annual property tax on all of these assets.

that is one reason i can think of which would cause a corporation to consider farming out the production.

also there will probably be a bunch of EPA regulations in the production of the tops which corporate did not want to deal with...

just my $ 0.02

moisea

Wildtrak
First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano 2015
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford, I hope this 2023 availability is an under promise with a possibility of a 2022 over deliver.
Also, with all the Broncos out there, can one of the aftermarket folks not come up with modular too in record time and meet some of the demand? Crisis makes makes great people and great companies. Moderna stepped up during Covid-19 and provided a vaccine in record time, can some company out there step up and respond to this shortage and make a name for themselves?!

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OK...so we know For-Basto is no longer a couple...at least for the MODs. But, do we know 'who' told 'who' to take a flying leap? Not at all clear to me.

My MIC guess is Ford's unreasonable requirements for weight & cost doomed that puppy from the get-go. And guess what...the MOD top has a new fabricator - but its brought to you by the very same engineering/design team that brought you the MIC
This has become a MAJOR concern of mine also.
Composite tops have been IN SERVICE for DECADES and are still functional.

This top did not make it three weeks!!!

So now we are expected to believe that they will make an adjustment over night that will churn out a top that has a 30/50+ year , all weather life span?

How the hell does a fuck up this big happen?
Think about it ... 30 years vs 3 weeks.

The honey comb core, mud/wood composite hornets nest outside has held up better than that.

What an embarassment for both companies.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OK...so we know For-Basto is no longer a couple...at least for the MODs. But, do we know 'who' told 'who' to take a flying leap? Not at all clear to me.

My MIC guess is Ford's unreasonable requirements for weight & cost doomed that puppy from the get-go. And guess what...the MOD top has a new fabricator - but its brought to you by the very same engineering/design team that brought you the MIC
the weight is part of federal mandates from the EPA and similar govt agencies... the honeycomb structure is extremely strong and light and have been used in aviation applications for well over 40 years...

Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford, I hope this 2023 availability is an under promise with a possibility of a 2022 over deliver.
Also, with all the Broncos out there, can one of the aftermarket folks not come up with modular too in record time and meet some of the demand? Crisis makes makes great people and great companies. Moderna stepped up during Covid-19 and provided a vaccine in record time, can some company out there step up and respond to this shortage and make a name for themselves?!
They would need the tooling and that isn't cheap.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious if Ford owns the tooling for the Mod Top or Webasto🤔. If Ford owns it, you wouldn't necessarily have to start from scratch with a new supplier. Could shave some time from development and give them more time to work out kinks.
Ford owns the tooling.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm happy to get a crappy MIC top now rather than not having a Bronco, but if the pricing isn't too brutal I could see treating myself to one of these in 3-5 years - assuming they're backwards compatible.

20Bronco21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
’22 Badlands, ‘23 Balands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just my $0.02 here, but could this be Jack Roush bringing American Sunroof Corp. back from hibernation. Jack bough the IP in 2016 when ASC ceased operation. Who is more Ford friendly and Ford capable than Jack Roush?

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Instead of switching suppliers, how about working on a redesign?

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What’s SMC?
Its actually pretty fascinating, the various processes for the MIC vs the MOD tops. From what others have said, the SMC process for the MOD tops is both stronger and heavier than the MIC tops, but must be painted. It is the process currently used on the Jeep tops.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_moulding_compound
The MIC top is a different process, lighter in weight, color molded in.

JB1901

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
there are plenty of reasons to not self produce things like the tops. the capital investment to build the factory. this is taxed as property. the machinery to produce is also taxed.
Not quite. Buildings may have a 39 year depreciation but machinery definitely doesn't. Equipment to make products like this or the ancillary equipment can be depreciated immediately via Section 179. Equipment such as forklifts, CNC machines, air compressors, etc. R&D can also be wrote off. There are caps on Section 179 but for the average small business it's incredibly lucrative from a short term tax liability standpoint. Regardless, the business who buys a CNC machine will be able to depreciate the asset and won't be paying property taxes on it like say a building. Equipment doesn't last as long as a business so it can get depreciated significantly faster.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2023 might be a nightmare 2. New supplier may have same issues as Webasto as this will be the first year ever in a new factory that the MOD top is produced.
might be a company that already makes tops for Jeep

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

elnorte

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So if the contract was just signed, what’s a realistic time frame for another company to actually start producing them in quantity?
6-9 months if they have a factory already. Just a guess but pulling from experience in dealing with other contract-type stuff.
Sponsored