Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dealers put on lifts and bigger tires. I don't think they would void their own customer's warranty.
OK, assuming you have the dealer do all the mods. Really doubt you save money that way though and doubt they are changing the gearing.
Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To me, the OBX is a Flex on steroids, unless you add the SAS. Then once you add the SAS you might as well go with the WT. As you, I only require the OBX, but I can’t go that route without the SAS. I have played with the B&P for the last 18 months and as a two door model , it always makes sense to go BL. I don’t need the BL, but with what I prefer as options, and most importantly, the look of the interior, BL wins. If I could get the high package in the BD I would go with that, but Ford has seen fit to make life difficult for customers and their wants.

motocane

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I feel like I really need the heavy duty bumper where I drive. Not necessarily for a winch (maybe), but mostly for having a brush guard and getting FL brush out of the way on a trail, on my farm, or when I'm turning around on a trail. Not having that bumper has made me realize that I need that bumper.
Good point. I believe that HD bumper is an option for the OB build too.

BroncOBabe2.7

Outer Banks
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Early August 2020 res. Order placed for OBX, High, Leather, MIC, Tow. I am #70 or so in line and the dealer has about 40 allocations. Once B&P for 2022 opens, I’m planning to switch to soft top and drop tow.

Since Ford has been so kind to give me a year+ to think about my order, I’ve been looking into other options.

Chose OBX because I like the design and won’t be doing much off-roading, if any.

However, I much prefer the SAS look, but don’t need the added performance that comes with.

Unless I’m missing something, Wildtrak is the only build that offers the larger tires without going SAS, while still being able to keep my other options. Although I prefer the OBX roast interior.

Questions:
1. Would switching to WT just be adding time to my wait since it’s only 2.7?

2. Can you get a soft top on the WT?

3.Would I be effing myself on the “price guarantee” if I switched to a different build?

4. Would it make more sense to just stick with OBX and get aftermarket wheels/tires?

5. Would I have to get it lifted to achieve the SAS look and if so, would I be spending about the same in aftermarket upgrades as I would be just switching to WT?

Appreciate any helpful advice/feedback!
I have this same dilemma! Thank you for asking so eloquently what I couldn't wrap my brain around. I keep flip flopping between the 2.3 and 2.7 also. I know I'm switching to a 2 door, and I do plan on playing in the mud a bit so I guess I already know what I should do but the extra $4500 for options that won't be practical 98% of the time for me seems obnoxious. I'm bookmarking this thread to see what you end up deciding and what others suggest.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OK, assuming you have the dealer do all the mods. Really doubt you save money that way though and doubt they are changing the gearing.
Saving money? Anything you do on a vehicle is the opposite of saving money. :LOL: Also, I wouldn't have the dealer do that work for me. It doesn't matter if they do or not, it does not void the warranty. We put bigger tires on all of our vehicles and it's fine. My husband got a lift - no probs. I'm not worried about gearing at all.

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good point. I believe that HD bumper is an option for the OB build too.
Yes, but no fog lights. I bought an abandoned order, but I still need fog lights so I did not order that bumper. When mod tops are ready, they will have fog lights built in.

motocane

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Saving money? Anything you do on a vehicle is the opposite of saving money. :LOL: Also, I wouldn't have the dealer do that work for me. It doesn't matter if they do or not, it does not void the warranty. We put bigger tires on all of our vehicles and it's fine. My husband got a lift - no probs. I'm not worried about gearing at all.
I was initially responding to the questions raise by the OP - getting SAS vs "self-SAS" afterwards. Your circumstances seem different...self-mod and enjoy!

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was initially responding to the questions raise by the OP - getting SAS vs "self-SAS" afterwards. Your circumstances seem different...self-mod and enjoy!
Gotcha!

Ford Bronco OBX or Wildtrak? 1631203883874

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I test drove a 2.3 BL and by brain (and wallet) is telling me that will be more than enough for anything I ever do…my heart is telling me to get the 2.7 *just cause*

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I test drove a 2.3 BL and by brain (and wallet) is telling me that will be more than enough for anything I ever do…my heart is telling me to get the 2.7 *just cause*
I know a fellow who works for Motorweek and he test drove every model at one of the Ford offerings. He stated two things right away. One the SAS package models ride the best on everyday paved roads, and the 2:3 was plentry powerful for the application. He has no dog in the fight so his opinion carries a bit more weight to me.

Sponsored

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know a fellow who works for Motorweek and he test drove every model at one of the Ford offerings. He stated two things right away. One the SAS package models ride the best on everyday paved roads, and the 2:3 was plentry powerful for the application. He has no dog in the fight so his opinion carries a bit more weight to me.
That’s interesting…I’d have thought, and I’ve read, that the 33’s would ride better for daily driving. Especially if you get a S/L load rated tire.
*i’d love to justify SAS 🥰

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in a similar situation. I can't really justify SAS for anything other than looks, since any stock Bronco is more than capable of conquering the kind of beat-up, potholed, rutted National Forest dirt and rock roads I need it to. With SAS comes higher price, louder road noise, worse gas mileage, etcetera. I am skeptical about claims that they are a better ride on pavement. I've seen a couple people claim that, and a few others laugh and say no way. I haven't had the opportunity to drive them both on roads.

I think there are ways to get the aggressive look of SAS aftermarket, without as many tradeoffs.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Trizah, this video may help you with question #4. They put 35's on their OBX, and I think it looks great.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OBX sas, high package, with cloth roast, IMO, is a really good sweet spot in getting a good looking, well optioned Bronco without going TOO overboard on pricing.

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Early August 2020 res. Order placed for OBX, High, Leather, MIC, Tow. I am #70 or so in line and the dealer has about 40 allocations. Once B&P for 2022 opens, I’m planning to switch to soft top and drop tow.

Since Ford has been so kind to give me a year+ to think about my order, I’ve been looking into other options.

Chose OBX because I like the design and won’t be doing much off-roading, if any.

However, I much prefer the SAS look, but don’t need the added performance that comes with.

Unless I’m missing something, Wildtrak is the only build that offers the larger tires without going SAS, while still being able to keep my other options. Although I prefer the OBX roast interior.

Questions:
1. Would switching to WT just be adding time to my wait since it’s only 2.7?

2. Can you get a soft top on the WT?

3.Would I be effing myself on the “price guarantee” if I switched to a different build?

4. Would it make more sense to just stick with OBX and get aftermarket wheels/tires?

5. Would I have to get it lifted to achieve the SAS look and if so, would I be spending about the same in aftermarket upgrades as I would be just switching to WT?

Appreciate any helpful advice/feedback!
I have an OBX with roast interior and it is indeed sexy. Better than pictures 8 have seen and the bronze dash is awesome.
Sponsored