FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I like boring. Spent some time in an 8KCAB last month doing aggravated spin recoveries. I like boring.
Never pegged myself for AB flying before, but on the last lesson of my 7ECA checkout my instructor told me he was happy but we needed more hours for his insurance to let me solo it so I was greeted on the ramp with a parachute, and now I find myself rationalizing that I have plenty of garage space for an RV-8 build. Wife thinks I'm nuts but the jury is still out on that.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Never pegged myself for AB flying before, but on the last lesson of my 7ECA checkout my instructor told me he was happy but we needed more hours for his insurance to let me solo it so I was greeted on the ramp with a parachute, and now I find myself rationalizing that I have plenty of garage space for an RV-8 build. Wife thinks I'm nuts but the jury is still out on that.
This is how I’m spending most of my days off this fall. My daughter leaves for her residency in the summer so we are getting out as often as she can. Nice and level.

Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread 3887BD83-DBD7-494C-9750-3726E4B48EE9

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is how I’m spending most of my days off this fall. My daughter leaves for her residency in the summer so we are getting out as often as she can. Nice and level.
That's awesome, I can't wait to get mine involved in flying. Right now they're a little young to be trusted not to start flipping switches on the panel or grab the yoke on short final.

Thats a beautiful super cub you have, is it an OG PA-18 or one of the homebuilt flavors?

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wife surprised the hell out of me for my last birthday with a trip to KIWS and a ride in an AT-6 courtesy of the CAF wing there. Great experience and dear lord, between that big radial and the prop tips going supersonic on the takeoff roll, that's the best sound in internal combustion's history.

Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread IMG_6615.JPG

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's awesome, I can't wait to get mine involved in flying. Right now they're a little young to be trusted not to start flipping switches on the panel or grab the yoke on short final.

Thats a beautiful super cub you have, is it an OG PA-18 or one of the homebuilt flavors?
It’s a Cub Crafter rebuild PA-18. I just ask that she lets me do the takeoff and landings.
I put my Grandson in the backseat of the 182 though. Don’t need him getting bored and playing with stuff.

Sponsored
OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wife surprised the hell out of me for my last birthday with a trip to KIWS and a ride in an AT-6 courtesy of the CAF wing there. Great experience and dear lord, between that big radial and the prop tips going supersonic on the takeoff roll, that's the best sound in internal combustion's history.

Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread IMG_6615.JPG
Yeah, I love the radials. I get to be around a super Corsair quite a bit. Haven’t weaseled my way into a ride yet.

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah, I love the radials. I get to be around a super Corsair quite a bit. Haven’t weaseled my way into a ride yet.
The local CAF wing has probably been my best incentive to finish out my CPL. I do eventually want to get my CFI and offset the cost of this disease hobby, but to get to fly the N3N or BT13 they have? Oh hell yeah.

Wings2Wheels

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch; 737
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The local CAF wing has probably been my best incentive to finish out my CPL. I do eventually want to get my CFI and offset the cost of this disease hobby, but to get to fly the N3N or BT13 they have? Oh hell yeah.
It's not a disease, or a hobby.

It's an ADDICTION.

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Last edited:

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Figure it's a long shot but if there's anywhere to ask its here: Anyone fly into KDBZ for the Bronco Offroadeo and care to give a PIREP? Convenient airport placement but I've heard they're picky about permission to land since they're there primarily to serve the resort.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got to see this beauty in action today…

Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread D4453698-C68A-442D-8A03-9F626ECD04FC
Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread 76AD1B90-FFE8-405D-9F91-AEEB89315127

It’s an Italian SIAI-Marchetti S.211 turbofan-powered military trainer (made in 1986). Aermacchi later acquired SIAI-Marchetti in 1997, including the rights to the S.211, and improved the design with the Aermacchi M-345.

This one (N211MF) was recently acquired by a local philanthropist and avid pilot who has a warbird collection. It’s a pretty rare bird. Only 60 or so have ever been built (more photos here). Billionaire Larry Ellison, founder of Oracle Corporation, also owns one.

@kodiakisland and I watched it takeoff and land, and it was surprisingly quiet. We were standing about 100 yards away, but it sounded like a vacuum cleaner when it landed. 😳

Last edited:

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Envious of those lucky enough to fly on the regular... I only got to fix the damn things... Although, I did fix some pretty cool planes.

Including this plane:

Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread STOL-MTD-1
Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread STOL-MTD-2
Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread STOL-MTD-3
Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread STOL-MTD-4
Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread STOL-MTD-5

Still wish I had the opportunity to fly something this amazing, but it was very rewarding to work on!

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As @Razorbak86 mentioned, one of the locals has a lot of cool stuff. It’s really neat to see them fly, but not so neat when you’re in the cub and they need you to clear the pattern.

I think I’ve posted pics of most of his war birds somewhere in this thread. The Marchetti is his newest, but he also got this bearcat recently. It’s big, but not as big as the super Corsair. I can’t imagine being a 19 yo turned loose in these machines with minimal training. There were a lot of destroyed planes and deaths just on take off and landings back then.

Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread 1F482D03-92CA-45D6-87DC-61D7F54D4B55

Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread 285D049A-65BE-47F6-9131-1226414C628C

One more for good measure:

Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread 1D42B47A-9E9A-41AB-A1D8-8537CD2D1C65

OP
OP
kodiakisland

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How about this one for the cool factor. A very modern STOL plane for a family camping trip. Came up from New Orleans for a week of camping in the Ozarks at one of my favorite strips above the King river.

Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread C79F8A19-6E4F-4A95-B9C9-5C018A8BD6CE
Ford Bronco Aviation Photo and BS thread B83DE36E-C7D1-4D7E-844C-2635AEC24679
Sponsored