Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did it mention bronco hybrid? That seems more feasible.
I’ve said this several times. I’m not for an EV deep out in the woods or desert, but I would go for a hybrid easy if it would give another 8mpg or something.

Love the extra torque a hybrid could bring, so for the life of me can’t understand why Ford went all EV?

Even VW with the upcoming Scout as EV only, it’s only going to be another Defender as a pavement princess and not serious off-road. Unless….. unless VW has found 500 miles of range and it’s a body on frame, which I‘m not sure we‘ll know for a while.

I don’t want to kill EVs, as they have a place, just not for my off-road focused cars.

Sponsored

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve said this several times. I’m not for an EV deep out in the woods or desert, but I would go for a hybrid easy if it would give another 8mpg or something.

Love the extra torque a hybrid could bring, so for the life of me can’t understand why Ford went all EV?

Even VW with the upcoming Scout as EV only, it’s only going to be another Defender as a pavement princess and not serious off-road. Unless….. unless VW has found 500 miles of range and it’s a body on frame, which I‘m not sure we‘ll know for a while.

I don’t want to kill EVs, as they have a place, just not for my off-road focused cars.
We would still have Diesels if it weren't for the Govt, https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2024/01/27/jarring-juxtaposition/

"As this column has observed in the past, the TDI diesel-powered vehicles VW was selling lots of at the time were an existential threat to the EV push that was beginning around the same time (this was circa 2015-ish). VW wasn’t just selling diesels. VW was selling affordable diesels. You could pick up a new TDI-powered Jetta back then for less than $22k. VW’s plan was to make its clean diesel engines the basis of a return to the company’s roots as the maker of people’s cars. That is to say cars most people could afford. Cars that were inexpensive to buy and to drive and to keep.
Ford Bronco Bronco EV reportedly on hold until early next decade (⚠️ ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS) TDI-ad-300x169

Kind of like the Beetle and its spin-offs the company built its empire on.

And that was an existential threat to the plan to push devices on the people – so VW’s clean diesels had to go, by framing them as being not “clean.” In fact, all they were was noncompliant – a very different thing. But never mind. They are gone now, so the transition can proceed.

It is more like a reversal."

ScottyC

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hybrid (lower price point) and Plug in Hybrid for the win

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
EV as it now is not the future automobile. We don’t even know what it will be yet. Easy has already been done. The ICE.

Sponsored

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GMC HD 3500 AT4, 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not sure how they can go EV and not hybrid on something like the Scout or the Bronco. Range on our Tesla Y is 285 miles, then you're supposed to only use 80% of that daily for battery health per Tesla so 257 miles and that's if you stay out of the go pedal. That doesn't give much range for offroad trips where there are no chargers.

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doesn't hurt my feelings. Did not plan to buy one. I keep my modified off road vehicles for 10+ years. An EV would be worthless at that point. Who is going to pay you money for something that needs a 10-25K battery change? Not only that, but I don't need my off road vehicle to burst into flames. Evs have a place, but it is a narrow market, as people who jumped in to one have found out. My buddy had a Cadi EV and he will never get one again.

voxel

Heritage
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I really like the Sequoia TRD Pro V6 hybrid drivetrain. Makes my V6 Bronco feel like a slug in comparison. I only owned the Sequoia for a short time (rattled worse than my first Bronco - that's Toyota QC for you these days) but a hybrid or a PHEV drivetrain makes sense for a vehicle like the Bronco that isn't really just a commuter city car.

Bronco could use some low-speed oomph when in the city so the PHEV drivetrain could help. Honestly was about to buy a Wrangler 4xe after borrowing my friend's for a week but could not tolerate the 2.0L turbo and the Wrangler handling. For a daily it worked well and the stock infotainment/audio/interior didn't feel like a cheap $25K Toyota like it did on the zero trim Bronco I had initially.

I owned a R1S for about 9 months and the thing was an overpowered inefficient beast. Scary powerful. Hated road tripping with it because it took 40-60 minutes for any lengthy charging sessions.

voxel

Heritage
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Hydrogen fuel cells is the way to go and more and more manufacturers are getting on that bandwagon as a good alternative to EV's.
Hydrogen fuel cells are dead for passenger cars. I sense you've done zero research on them. The whole extraction, compression/chilling, transport, refueling stations is so complicated and dangerous I'm not sure it will ever make sense for consumer use. Hydrogen for long-term energy storage or commercial trucking... maybe.

All this talk 3 years ago about Florida installing hydrogen stations... nada. Shell just closed a bunch of stations in CA and scrapped plans for 48 new one.

https://www.hydrogeninsight.com/tra...g-stations-for-cars-in-california/2-1-1596104

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hybrid for the win.