First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Picking up a new Badlands SAS next week and will be driving it back home to AZ from NY. I've been reading lots of posts related to the need for early oil changes in the diffs, especially the rear but hoping to find an easier way vs opening the cover. Any thoughts on using an extraction pump through the fill hole to accomplish this task? Are people funding aftermarket covers with drain holes?
Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Ford Performance one is an example of one that offers a drain port, so no need to remove the cover each time.
Cost isn't bad.
Remove and install maybe 30 minutes, including refill with fresh oil.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Picking up a new Badlands SAS next week and will be driving it back home to AZ from NY. I've been reading lots of posts related to the need for early oil changes in the diffs, especially the rear but hoping to find an easier way vs opening the cover. Any thoughts on using an extraction pump through the fill hole to accomplish this task? Are people funding aftermarket covers with drain holes?
It’s arguably just as easy to unbolt the cover as it is to use something to extract the old fluid instead. It’s only a few bolts and the gasket is reusable, so no need to worry about that.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A trip from NY to AZ, you shouldn't need to change the rear diff after that, unless you are going to stay off road the entire way.

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When you pull the cover off there are some places on the bottom of the differential that create small pockets.. It would be iffy for a pump to be able to reach the very bottom of the differential cavity to pull the fluid out of the little pockets. These pockets are the very places the gunk sinks to. I would really like to get a better differential cover but will not put one on until my 2nd draining with the standard cover. This is to get as much of the break in "dirt" out as is possible. If is pretty easy and not real expensive so for me it makes sense. But, some people never drain their differential and get 200,000 miles and all seems OK.

Sponsored
OP
OP

lamokadave

Wildtrak
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Is there a general consensus as to when the first diff oil change should be? I read a very thorough thread I believe in this forum that suggested after 1000 miles. The poster did say he was overly aggressive with preventative maintenance but also suggested there was evidence that the diffs in the bronco create lots of metal fines for many miles. He was suggesting 3 oil changes with the first 5k.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there a general consensus as to when the first diff oil change should be? I read a very thorough thread I believe in this forum that suggested after 1000 miles. The poster did say he was overly aggressive with preventative maintenance but also suggested there was evidence that the diffs in the bronco create lots of metal fines for many miles. He was suggesting 3 oil changes with the first 5k.

I have a little over 7k miles on mine. In May it will be a year old. I have off roaded it a few times with mud water and rocks. I will change mine at around 10K because of the mud/water off roading. If I was just driving it on dirt roads rocks or just to the mall, I would follow Ford recommendation.

Somethings I will change early depending on how I use my vehicle. My F150's I have not changed them until 100K, because most of the miles was dry running. My old CJ I changed every 10K.

Save your money for mods.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It’s arguably just as easy to unbolt the cover as it is to use something to extract the old fluid instead. It’s only a few bolts and the gasket is reusable, so no need to worry about that.
This.

Plus the trick is to leave one or two top bolts loose, so the cover just hangs, versus falling off.

Way easier and more effective than a pump.

Gasket is reusable.

The Ford Performance diff cover is the way to go through with its drain port.

Ford Bronco Oil Extraction Pump on Rear Differential PXL_20240403_205618067
Sponsored