Sponsored

“Could not connect” to home WiFi issue solved (UniFi)

Cold_steel

Badlands
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all,

I’ve had my bronco for almost a year now, and just found a solve for an issue I’ve had connecting to my home wifi network for updates. I run a UniFi setup, and there seemed to be a common thread of Sync4 issues showing up on a MachE forum.

skip to post #117 on page 8 - the fix involves clearing out a domain name setting in the UniFi console.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ct-when-connecting-to-wifi-solved.3044/page-8
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'll be interested to see if I run into any issues. Of course I haven't decided if I would know allow the Bronco to even update because it seems to break things sometimes.

I'm running the Unifi access point with the edgerouter ERX 10

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all,

I’ve had my bronco for almost a year now, and just found a solve for an issue I’ve had connecting to my home wifi network for updates. I run a UniFi setup, and there seemed to be a common thread of Sync4 issues showing up on a MachE forum.

skip to post #117 on page 8 - the fix involves clearing out a domain name setting in the UniFi console.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ct-when-connecting-to-wifi-solved.3044/page-8
Looking for this setting in my console, seems to be eluding me. Is this maybe in the "old" console?

Edit: Nevermind, my DHCP server is my EdgeRouter X and I do not offer a domain search name in that config.

$occercoach

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Subaru Baja
Your Bronco Model
Base
Also if using Verizon FIOS router G1100 where you can not delete the local domain name...you can bypass all of that by setting up a guest network!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Lol.. I totally forgot about this. One of the first things I did once I got my Bronco was turn off automatic updates. So I guess I never bothered connecting it to my home Wi-Fi to see if my unifi was going to cause any issues.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Also if using Verizon FIOS router G1100 where you can not delete the local domain name...you can bypass all of that by setting up a guest network!
I thought I had set up my wifi connection, and checked last night, but it wasn't configured. Tried to connect to my Nest Wifi's main network, but it couldn't connect on three attempts. It did, however, connect directly to my Nest Wifi's guest network, which would be a security best practice, anyway. Took that on the first try.

JR

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, T1 V10, T7, YXZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine says localdomain but afaik my bronco has no issue connecting to my u6-lite in the garage.

I'm running a Dream Machine Pro which knowing Ubiquiti probably acts slightly different than the other consoles.

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wait, you can connect to your home WiFi?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought I had set up my wifi connection, and checked last night, but it wasn't configured. Tried to connect to my Nest Wifi's main network, but it couldn't connect on three attempts. It did, however, connect directly to my Nest Wifi's guest network, which would be a security best practice, anyway. Took that on the first try.

JR
What are the reasons that the Broncos should be connected to Wi-Fi? Is it only for doing OTA updates?

And yeah I'm with you on the separation. I actually have 4 separate Wi-Fi networks (1 unifi AP that has 4 SSIDs). 2 are for my actual computers and phones, and the other 2 are for all my smart home devices. I use Firewall rules that allow my home network to talk to certain smart home devices but not the other way around.

The 2 pairs are because I separate my 2.4 and 5ghz channels.

I don't trust that Smart plug and vacuum on the same network as my office pc :)

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What are the reasons that the Broncos should be connected to Wi-Fi? Is it only for doing OTA updates?

And yeah I'm with you on the separation. I actually have 4 separate Wi-Fi networks (1 unifi AP that has 4 SSIDs). 2 are for my actual computers and phones, and the other 2 are for all my smart home devices. I use Firewall rules that allow my home network to talk to certain smart home devices but not the other way around.

The 2 pairs are because I separate my 2.4 and 5ghz channels.

I don't trust that Smart plug and vacuum on the same network as my office pc :)
It's for OTAs, yes. I know there's an OTA Sync 4 update out there that brings full screen Android Auto, and I'm trying to get my Bronco to do the update. I wish software updates were easier with these things. At least with my Mustang, I can load the updates onto a USB key and do the update manually, while I'm driving the thing.

I use Nest Wifi, which is absolutely great, but you can't separate 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, so I have to have a separate Netgear router that I use for my 2.4 Ghz-only smart home devices (pellet grill and garage door openers). It's annoying that Nest won't let you create a 2.4 Ghz only network, but whatever. All my other smart stuff runs on my guest network.

JR

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine says localdomain but afaik my bronco has no issue connecting to my u6-lite in the garage.

I'm running a Dream Machine Pro which knowing Ubiquiti probably acts slightly different than the other consoles.
I'm also running a Dream Machine Pro and my networks have custom domain names specified (something I setup for local resolution purposes). I've always been able to connect the Bronco to my WiFi network without issue, and it successfully completed an OTA update last October on it's own, so I assume everything is working properly.

I have occasionally noticed that Sync is not connected to WiFi when I enter the settings screen on the Bronco, but I attribute that to bugginess of Ford's software. If I attempt to connect to WiFi manually it always works (without need to re-enter the password), so who knows what's up with that.
Sponsored